Please help me pick out a good mix of supplements!

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by MadNicePillows, May 17, 2011.

1. Hey guys, I just recently got talked into buying the GNC Extreme Athlete Vitapak product at my local GNC. I did some research when I got home, this shit sucks I guess. Probably shoulda known - it looked pretty gimmicky from the start (all the doses are bare minimum or under).

So anyway I'm looking to replace this vitapak for a group of individual supplements that will hopefully end up at or below the $50-70 range.

I am looking to get the most out of my workouts - I lift 4-5 times a week and do some cardio just about every day. All I was taking was whey protein until I added in the Vitapaks.

I don't need to worry about passing any tests or anything - I don't compete, this is just to make myself look and feel good.

TLDR -

-returning GNC Vitapaks
    -need alternative supplements for muscle growth / recovery
    -$50-70 price range
    -already taking whey protein

Thanks guys!

2. bump - anyone taking good muscle building supplements? I just dont wanna be cheated outta $50 when I could be getting somethin useful

3. Supplements are not necessary.

I would look towards just eating a lot of good food and making sure you have the appropriate amount of marcos every day.

If you want some general supplements for lifting, and you already have whey, then other than a good multi vitamin, and fish oil, you could get some simple creatine monohydrate. Research it first so you know what your buyign when you go there and so you dont get pursuaded into buying something you don't want or need. The thing with supplements are right in their name, they are supposed to "Supplement" your current diet. If your not eating well and getting proper amounts of rest, they are NOT going to help.

Do you have any specific goals your trying to obtain?

4. Food
    Whey
    Fish oil
    Multi
    Optional Creatine and Preworkout (recommend jack3d)

5. i would recomend good diet as most important then make sure to take whey and a multivitamin along with fishoil also make sure youre getting all youre essential amino acids in

6. milk
    peanut butter
    chicken
    meat
    whole grains

if you bought supplements you got hustled

7. guys, I'm new to this and I just got some whey protein. Should I be taking this before or after working out? and should I take it on days that I don't work out? the package was very vague and I want to make sure I get the most benefit :)

8. take whey protein as soon as you get done from working out. you can take as much as you want. get about 1.2 grams of protein for each pound of body weight every day. calories are also just as important as protein. they repair muscles.

why would you buy gnc vitapacks op? just get generic multivitamins its the same shit but probably 20 dollars cheaper

9. Superpump 250 is pretty beast.

10. #11 Baraccus, May 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2011
    As much as I support eating right and getting all your nutrients from your food, sometimes its not possible. However, supplements can be complete crap half the time (as you found out) so please, do your research. Another factor is YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. If you spend five dollars on a supplement, don't expect it to perform as well as a fifteen dollar one. An example of this is with fish oil. I'm sure you've been hearing all about the brain, heart and anti-inflammatory affects BUT how do you distinguish between the million brands of fish oil out there? Some cheap, some expensive. That's why you should do a little bit of research and find out which one is best. Without doing all that research though, you want to find one with high concentrations of EPA and DHA. If you notice, some bottles do not show the content of EPA and DHA while others do. Which in that second you should realize the one without listing the content is bad.

Great info on fish oil: Fishy Advice: Part 1

edit:

Otherwise, onto the main question I think the best supplements are: fish oil, greens, and protein. Which should be a staple in ANY persons diet, not just an athletes.