Please help me not fuck up my first grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Manomie, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Greetings fellow growers,

After a long deliberation, I decided to take the plunge and grow indoors. I'm following all the advice I can find online, going with a 300 watt LED, UV/IR full-spectrum light and 48x24x60 Mylar grow tent with ample ducts and little to none light leakage. I also picked up some FloraNova fertilizer (7-4-10) for the growing stage and the same brand for bloom (4-8-7). All in all, seeds included, I've dropped about $300 so far. I don't believe that more than expensive equals total success, but I want every advantage I can get.

Needless to say, I also don't want to fuck this up. I was hoping some of you could take a look at my babies and my setup and offer advice/opinion. They're almost 2 weeks old and I'm a little concerned about the leaf droop, which I know is a sign of overwatering, but I only water them at this point 2-3 times a week. However, they all have a healthy green coloring.

Anyway, thanks and I hope to get some feedback. Groove on, brothers and sisters.

2. What medium are you using?

3. Right now, just some organic soil with only a couple of additives, but I started them in peat pellets. I moved them to the slightly larger Jiffy Pots when I noticed the roots start to exit the pellet. I know the soil isn't exactly packed with nutrients, but I've heard some horror stories about using Miracle-Gro potting soil.

4. is there any perlight in there? Roots need air or they will suffocate. Do you know your ph? Very important. Next time post a picture with out the purple lights you can't see what's going on. I'm more of a hydro grow but I just picked up a bag of soil called 420 mix I haven't used it and don't know a lot but it's got a lot of good stuff in it. I think it needs more perlite added to it. But it's probably way better than miracle-grow if that's what your considering.

5. Sorry it's recipe 42 image.jpg image.jpg

6. No perlite yet. When I pot them in the fabric pots I ordered, I was going to mix some perlite in. In the interim, however, I've poked several holes in the bottom and sides of the jiffy pots to get air in there and help drainage. I'm getting a pH meter next week (gotta wait til payday). I'll do the lightless pics tomorrow when I have them dark. Right now I'm doing 18 hours with the light on and six off. I've heard you can keep them on 24/7 in the veg stage but it stresses them and I don't want to do anything cute.

7. 18/6 is good. Definitely need perlite your roots are probably suffocating.

8. Will do. Thanks!

9. Okay, picked up some perlite today and a pH testing kit, which reads neutral at 7.0. I'm getting my fabric pots today and am considering putting them in despite the plant size. I just don't want them to be transplanted too much, but if I'm wrong let me know. I'm still concerned about the leaf droop. As requested, here are my ladies under regular light (seeds are all feminized). IMG_1197.JPG IMG_1198.JPG IMG_1199.JPG

10. One 300w light is not going to be enough for 3 or those let alone 6. I've got a 300w viparspectra and it's only suitable for one mature plant. You're going to need need more.

First grow using cfls.

11. Suggest you ditch those Jiffy Pots asap..(when it is transplant time)
    Those suckers will leach water faster than you can even think..NOT FOOLING either!
    They will keep you busy trying to decide when it is really time to water..

• Like Like x 2
  12. That second light might have to wait. I'm lucky my wife let me spend what I did. I respect your wisdom and thank you for it, but I'm just going to have to roll the dice here, hope the mylar helps and pick up a second one for the next grow.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yeah. I'm transplanting them today into the fabric pots. I haven't been happy with the Jiffy Pots at all. I know it might be early and it's a risk, but I feel like I'm kinda stuck. The soil needs perlite badly and I don't want to just dump them back in the Jiffy Pots after that, especially given what you said. Given the bigger pots (5 gal) I'll just have to be a lot more careful and conservative watering them. But please tell me if I'm wrong to do that.

14. Good luck, if you're sticking with the one make sure to keep rotating the plants.

First grow using cfls.

15. I like your style!
    IMHO, you are 100% on point..Just be prepared for slightly slower growth (seedlings grow faster in smaller containers) I also use Solo Cups w/ starter soil (Jiffy no less:)) and then into 5 gallon fabric pots..All should be fine and you can also just moisten, and then cut away those Jiffy pots easily and without stressing the seedling too much..:)

16. Yeah, thanks. Just have to make the best of it. What do you mean by rotation?

17. Thanks!

18. By rotation he means under the light For = exposure since you have little light.
    I as well can't afford the lights so I am just doing a hydro setup outside. You may have to end up taking some/most outdoors. When they get bigger.

• Like Like x 1
  19. #19 Manomie, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    I do have a sunlamp that my wife uses for light therapy. We don't need it right now because it's summer. (Winters at 6,000 feet above sea level can be pretty depressing) It's 10,000 lux with no UV. Would this work/help in addition to my LED light? Probably a longshot, but worth asking.

(EDIT: Never mind, it's on a timer set for one hour. I'll just have to make-do)

20. IMG_1200.JPG Buzzer777, I found some Solo cups and took your advice. The 5 gallon pots are effin huge. Repotted with perlite and I lowered my light. Thanks. Hopefully I'll see some improvements soon. I don't think they're bad off to begin with, but every little bit helps.