PLEASE HELP..is this root rot or pythium?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by HOMEGROWN702, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Plants are about 3 weeks old. Room temps are good but i have to admit my res and cloner temps were probably neglected. Can someone please tell me if it is root rot or pythium from the pictures?

Attached Files:

2. Hey HOMEGROWN702, the plants looks healthy and green but that second picture showing some browning on the roots worries me.

Any idea what your res temps are? and what are you feeding them?
    I hope you're not using organics in that res!

I would empty out the res asap and scrub it clean with some anti-bacterial dish soap and then run plain 6.0 phed water with like 15ml per gallon of 3% h202 for like 3 days then clean out res again and refill with fresh nutes and see how they do.

By the way, root rot IS pythium and to answer your question of whether you have it or not I would say that from the looks of the pics and my numerous experiences with root rot/pythium it is fair to say from my point of view that it does look like the beginning of root rot! I stopped getting root rot though after adding beneficial bacteria "great white mycorrhizae" and keeping res temps around mid to high 60s. No more root rot for me!

But yeah man flush that bitch and give her some h202! Maybe after you kill the root rot you can introduce some beneficial bacteria in your res to help prevent this from happening again BUT ONLY after getting the h202 out of the res as it will kill the beneficial bacteria! Also, if you have trouble controlling res temps and getting them under 70f the bennies will also allow your roots to live in 75f water without getting root rot which is fuckin GREAT! Only downfall with the product i use (great white mycorrhizae) is that it's like 30 bucks for 4oz jar but you don't use much anyway so I guess it's worth the bucks.

3. The temps in my res never get higher then 75 but unfortunately i can not say the same about my cloner. I have a 250g pump in a 5 gallon bucket attatched to some sprayers and it gets hot quick in there. I would say 80 plus. So i am thinking that is the culprit. i might have to ditch the water pump and just have airstones in there. Also the nutes im using in cloner is roots accelerator, gh 3 part series and super thrive. In the res im using just cal mag and r.o. water because i thought i had a nute lock out issue. But now the more i think about it , the roots should look way better then waht they do after 3 weeks. Tomorrow i will get the h202 and clean both my cloner and res and do like you said. Thanks alot for your input. I will surely keep you updated on my progress, Thanks again

4. Yeah anytime man!

Btw definitely ditch the water pump unless you plan on chilling the water somehow. Also forgot to mention make sure you give those roots a nice rinse with cold 68f water (I usually do it in the kitchen sink) before putting them back in the clean res.

5. another quick question for you...would it good or bad for me to cut the bad roots off?

6. I have cut roots off myself and haven't noticed any negative effect other then growth stunt for like a few days until new roots start to grow again.

7. Thanks again buddy. How long have you been growing for?

8. Around 5 years growing now and also endless hours of reading up around these forums. Just recently joined this site for the heck of it.

I'm curious, what strains are you growing?

9. The strain i am growing is STAR47. I have a buddy of mine who is going to give me some more clones.