Please help identify this Bug

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Give me wings, Dec 26, 2014.

1. I noticed this in the grow medium, just walking around on top. What a rough year for bugs for me... I think I know why, I'm renting and I can tell just from looking at the set up of things in the house the person before me was growing in this house also. I had a thrip out break not long ago, which I used diatomaceous earth and spinosad and started using neem as a preventative . I always kept a really clean grow room, I've never had a pest problem before this.. Well I hope someone knows this bug. I found it in my Ft.collins Cough, a huge flowering monster about 60 days in. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419559804.696333.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Ps there was several,I have above average sight. And for me it was to difficult to see but I could think of serval friends who would of never noticed them... Grayish in color

3. Bonide has a chemical that works great for keeping bugs out. I mix it with the first 3 inches of soil and rarely see bugs of any sort. Even when I have they do not stay around long. Have had to spray for white flies a few grows ago, Capt Jacks kicked their ass.

That bug looks like a boll weevil but I am sure that is not what it is. They hang around cotton plants.

4. Man nobody knows this bug... Even the lady at the local hydro store had no idea and she has been growing in this area forever... Hmmm something fishy there...

5. Does it move pretty fast for it's size? If so it is a predator mite. Good bug. Catches and eats other soil pests. If you are growing organically this is a good sign.

Do not go throwing chemicals at a problem before you fully understand it.

6. They just crawl around the soil. I never seen one trying to feed on my plants and they all finished just fine

7. Ya I have Diatomaceous earth on top, and I use neem. But that's it. It's not really that fast.

8. Mines grey...

9. It looks like a Meahly bug at first glance.

Nevermind lmao that's perlite. The insect is much too small to ID from here.

10. Ok it was difficult to get that pic... I will kill one and take pic with micro scope

11. Thanks for the feed back! I didn't realize people were having trouble seeing it. My screen is huge.

12. I would look in the aphid, thrips or fungus gnat directions

13. I already ruled out thrips and fungus gnats. I had thrips a few weeks ago caught them early and got rid of them quick. I'm about to go catch one now and try and kill it without ruining it's shape... Then throw it under the celestron microscope.

14. #15 occasionalburnout, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2014
    this is what I would think first too but it's neither a fungus gnat or thripe based on what it looks like in the picture he sent. It looks slightly like an aphid but he said its in the soil and aphids from what I understand will hang out on the stems and leaves.
    Like I said my first post I had these insects all the way through flower and my plants never showed signs of damage. The roots were fine too besides being extremely concentrated in certain areas and completely absent in others and that's because I was experimenting with not mixing my soil based on something I misread in a weed magazine a few years ago :feel stupid: and not because bugs were munching on them

15. Maybe a leaf miner they are very small little black guys

16. Get a 5 dollar hot shot no pest strip and some yellow sticky traps.

Hang the pest strip in the grow area and place the sticky traps sticky side down ontop of the medium. Don't press it down just set it there.

It really looks like a fungas gnat to me. They go through stages of growth.

You could add sand to the top layer of soil and or stick anfan directly blowing onto the medium to help.

17. #18 occasionalburnout, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2014
    Guys.... Research before you post. Fungus gnats don't have a wingless walking around stage. they go from egg to larvae to pupae to adult. Google fungus gnat stages and you'll see a bug that looks a lot like the one he took a picture of and also a bunch of pictures of fungus gnats. If you take a second and click on the picture of the bug that looks like his it will tell you it's a fungus gnat predator. ChefZiggy called it. He also posted a link.

18. Thank you bro!!! I have so much going on already I haven't had time to worry about a bug that didn't seem to hurt my garden! Seriously thank you everyone for your input still right or wrong. At least all the replies seem to bring "the big fish" in with all the knowledge !! I had to spinosad the garden today, I saw a of thrips left, and I think I saw some spider mites on my mother plant. This is really frustrating me. This is my first year growing in Colorado . Before this I never had pest problems!!!! I kept a surgery style clean room. But now I have cArpet, and I think it's where the problems are coming from. Also the fact it's 15 degrees at the warmest here for a few months a year... I think all the bugs and mites are running inside to the warmth.

Seems you were right sir. Thank you, for taking the time to help!!!

19. I had the same reaction when I first spotted them in my soil. Hope the Spinosad doesn't wipe them out.