Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Please help having GI problems

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Burning Bush, Jun 9, 2011.

1. I am having trouble with my bowels for 4+ years now. I went to the doctors but i cant explain what triggers it, r describe my pain...... they say lactose intolerance but it is more than that. So people with GI problems try helping me try figuring out what I have or tips to help my doctor. Ie should i document everything I eat.

2. Hey, what's up.

I'd really like to give you some direction, but I wouldn't know where to start.

Let's see. Describe to me your daily routine... from start to finish.

3. #3 Burning Bush, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2011
    Wake up around 12 stiff ( possibly arthritis bad joints)and with heart burn sometimes but enough to cause a problem( blame bad digestion and finally getting appetite late at night.) Try and eat breakfast usually eggs with sauteed veggies; but a bowl helps to stimulate appetite. Usually go to washroom constipation at first but then thick dark black/brown diarrhea (I guess accompanying the heart burn is more frequent swollen sensation snaking through abdomen as well pain on lower left side near belly button, Like I can feel my intestines burning/ swelled).

After re leaving my self sort of I begin my day watching tv and the occasional joint ( I am currently unemployed and on break) when it is lunch I try to eat but again the same sick feeling and desire not to eat; sometimes when I am backed up it almost feels like my GI is full of sludge. not much happens the rest of the day I may go outside and get excercise that seems to sort of shake thing up and help my bowel movements I believe.

But most of the time I dont have the erg to eat, when I work and I get stressed It is 10x worse. Things that irritate my bowels milk, Alcohol, ... hopefully I can add more.
    I am also noticing my body not being able to process nuts for sure possible red peppers, not to sure what else but must be a lot as well as malabsorption and wait loss I have lost 35+ pounds in the last year yet in the last past couple years before this never gain or lost pounds? not to sure what else to add.

4. I had no idea it was soo severe.

I'm gonna tell you what I think in a minute. Just hold on for a sec...

5. Hi hon, sounds like IBS + a food allergy.

Have you ever been tested for celiac disease? Your symptoms seem to fit.
    Coeliac disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For me one of the bad triggers is benzoate of soda, aka sodium benzoate. If I get too big of a dose my whole system goes into "I've been poisoned!" mode. I vomit, have diarrhea, and chills and fever, and my guts feel like they are twisting in knots! Lesser doses "just" give me diarrhea. Not fun!

Definitely, keep a food journal! Read what is in the food you eat- those little nutritional labels can be very helpful! Try week long eliminations of eggs, or wheat, as an example.

The good news is that cannabis is helpful for bowel disorders. Click that first link in my sig and scroll down to Crohns. Hopefully, once you find out what's triggering your problems, cannabis can help you start to heal. And you really should read these-

Are You Cannabis Deficient? (news - 2010)
    \tMarijuana Compound Treats Multiple Health Issues - FoxNews.com

Clinical Endocannabinoid Deficiency (full - 2004)
    http://www.freedomtoexhale.com/clinical.pdf

Hope that helps!

Granny

6. ...The first thought that came to mind was that you have an ulcer.
    Have you been checked by anyone for possible ulcers??

Stress. You get stressed out too hard. It gets worse, right? When you're stressed??
    Stress can upset your stomach and ulcers.

The black/brown diarrhea sounds like dried-up blood.

7. Try an elimination diet to check for food sensitivities, keep a food diary. The BRAT diet is frequently suggested for digestive issues.

I have digestive issues, but that is because I have had abdominal surgery 3 times and have adhesions in the abdominal cavity mainly on the left side [descending portion of the large intestine] that cause fairly severe pain if I let myself get constipated. So I tend to make sure that in my 8 servings of veggies and 2 servings of fruit a day assigned by my nutritionist I go for heavy fiber. [Being diabetic, I tend to minimize simple carbs as they get converted to glucose fairly fast and go for complex ones like legumes and whole grains and avoid stuff like sugar, white flour, white rice.]

How about starting your day with oatmeal with apples, cinnamon, almonds [for the protein and fat] and honey or brown sugar to taste [no dairy] Good amount of fiber between the oatmeal and apples, cinnamon is good for the digestion and almonds have protein and enough fat to aid in the carb digestion. [ I add dairy to mine but I am not lactose intolerant and I sweeten mine with a tablespoon or so of raisins or other dried fruit. ]

8. #8 TheJudge411, Jun 9, 2011
    I have ulcers sounds like your in the boat with me. Try some Jack herer that strain lets me eat it really seems to calm down your whole digestive system.

Look up acidic And alkaline foods try to balance that. Like lemon n watermelon are good to settle your stomach. Stay away from tomatoes/sauce and greasy food for a while and see if you get better.

If you want to go for a diet that wont hurt you. Poached chicken steamed white rice and steamed veggies like broccoli n greenbeans. Stuff Like that is wat they put my diet on when I leave the hospital. In the hospital its clear liquids only. So try some jello out also when your sick.

I hope you get some help I know how bad GI problems are.

9. This sounds like an autoimmune to me.

To much TNF being produced by your body. Cause?? Who knows. Might be able to track it down with a little work.

Over production of TNF manifests itself in several ways. It's just a matter of which location in the body it attacks.

For instance, if it is focused on the upper intestine, they will probably call it Crohn's. A little lower and they may call it Colitis. A little higher up and they may call it Gerd.

Excess TNF also heads toward the joints and then be called arthritis.

Excess TNF clogs the insulin pumps in the pancreas slowing insulin production. TNF also blocks the insulin receptors throughout the body causing insulin resistance.

Cannabis, when taken in eaten form, lowers TNF production.

10. First off. Any sugar that you consume should be sucrose. Avoid high fructose corn syrup at all costs.

GMO grains can come into play. These are grains that have been modified to produce their own insecticide. This insecticide causes insects to die by causing their digestive system to rupture. So far they say this is safe for humans to eat.

Many people with Crohn's are told to avoid wheat. The insecticide aspect may be why it helps for such patients to avoid grains.

Make sure to include EFA's in your diet. Essential Fatty Acids are essential to keep the cannabinoid receptors healthy.

11. Where are you located?

12. #12 Burning Bush, Jun 9, 2011
    I am located ontario, Canada, if I were to get Medical marijuana, I would have to get option 2 which is a recommendation from doctor for another ailment other than one known by health canada. SO should I take some metamucil, plus eat a whole lot veggie + fruit, supposedly green food worsens crohns ( is that true?). For the most part started out lactose intolerance but it was mildish now havent touched milk( look on ingredientscause they love to modify it)

13. #13 Burning Bush, Jun 9, 2011
    Due to my problem getting worse I can explain it easier ... aswell it is possible for me to have ibs as well recently fom an ulcer?

So Lets eliminate Wheat, Milk, Frutose/ all sugars ( remember my hot chocolate giving me the runs)..... Please give me some more gi frendly diets .

Also doesnt help i have anxiety and when I get refered to a new doctor I freeze and forget things.
    Thanks for everyones help.

14. Seems lactose is the GI Dr's catch all excuse for what ails people...morons.

Yes, people can be intolerant, but it seems that is the first thing out of their mouths.

Yes, document what you eat, what you feel later, how your 'movements' are (pain levels, nausea feelings, bleeding, color of blood on teh toilet paper, in the stool, is the stool hard, straining, easy, loose, very loose, watery...etc, etc..)

IBS is triggered by stress as well. Take note of your stress levels, what is stressful and when. If pain is involved, pain IS very stressing to both body and mind...you have to get the pain under control...so don't be afraid to assert yourself with the Dr's, get some pain meds IF you need them.

I assume the GI Dr's are wanting to do or have done a 'scope' job on you...diverticulitis is a nasty condition and may require surgery. If you have it and it ruptures...it can be much worse then appendicitis...because you can have a lot of diverticuli (my colon, whats left of it, is covered with them, from beginning to 'end')

I have found mmj does help a lot, as many others have. Lean towards indica dominant strains (or the 'new' high CBD content strains), as most people report those helping (still need some proper lab studies, but feds are blocking research STILL). Try to vape or make edibles (foods, consumable alcohol tinctures, etc, etc..). Smoking works but smoke (any smoke) can have negative affects over time.

Hope that helps. :wave:

(I'm an IBS, IBD, and chronic Diverticulitis sufferer, with LUPUS...it can really suck some days...and it's best to get a grasp on it as fast as possible, so major depression doesn't kick in)

BTW; Read up on Storm Crows sticky at the top of the forum...lots of good info there! :yay::bongin::metal::smoking::ey::smoke::D

15. Fiber supplements are a good idea...be sure to take in enough water (1.5 liters a day or more). If things get worse, less fiber (too much can be as bad as not enough).
    More fruits and veggies, less meats (cut out fried foods as a test, see if it helps).
    Gluten can cause problems, I think they have a blood test related to that), but test if it's absence helps (lots of things have gluten...can be a pain to rid it from a diet, and could cost more for less food...grrrr:mad:)

No idea about the green foods making crohns worse...never heard that before...
    I do know they can take a biopsy to test for crohns, they should do it when you get 'scoped'.

..of course, get blood test, RF level, ANA test, and the regular blood work ups.

I know it can suck, just keep positive, it does get better once you figure out what's wrong, and get relief (even a few hours of relief can make you life much easier to handle);)

16. lol maybe the guy himself was allergic to lettuce . I am actually annoyed they brushed me off as lactose intolerance as well they sent me to a childrens doctor when I should have gone to adult hospital, stupid 18 limbo, now I have to see a total new doctor. Hopefully when I see my doctor next he can do it right. I also wanna point out I told my friends when I smoke pot I feel a more uplifting emotionally and relief feeling(pain...) more than stoned like my friends say but then again I cant truely know how it effects them. But that is what I believe the true difference between medical and rec use of marijuana.

17. Hope you found some kind of help in this thread.

Like somebody said - stay positive.

I never knew how bad stress or a negative mindset can affect my body.

You're still young as hell. Learn how to manage your stress level now before it becomes routine in your adult life.

Stress kills.

Also, one last thing. Here's something that works for me when I have heartburn or acid re flux: take a spoon of white distilled vinegar and swallow it all in one shot.

Instant relief.

Works for me, and I hope it works for you.

Stay strong as hell man.

18. Thanks for all your help If anyone has a good high fiber diet as well a healthy diet I can look at if thats possible,

19. Wow. Based on my own experiences with Crohn's/colitis, I think PeanutButter is once again onto something here. :wave: (You rock, PB!)

I was diagnosed as Celiac years before the Crohn's. Here is what I ate today to give an idea:

(First, try to stay on a schedule with eating and everything else.)
    Breakfast:
    Food for Life Brown rice bread, toasted, with organic PB and fruit preserves, all natural orange juice, and two cups of organic coffee. Glass of water. :cool:

Lunch (at work):
    Hamburger patty, lean, no bun, no hormones/antibiotics in the beef
    Organic yellow corn chips (30 chips, two servings)
    Organic yogurt (today was lemon)
    Canned pears (I eat fresh fruits, but not TOO many.) Cooked veggies and fruits (canned) seem easier to digest.
    Gluten free rice krispie bar (homemade)
    Water.

Dinner:
    Hamburger patty (it was grocery night, fewer choices lol!)
    Oganic red potatoes made into oven hash browns (butter, paprika, black pepper, garlic, all organic.)
    Organic Romaine lettuce, fresh tomatoes, and some Annie's French dressing, also organic.
    Water.

After dinner is :smoke::smoke::smoke: for me to keep things calm as I digest and unwind from the stresses of the day.

Evening snack (diabetic, need a snack)
    Probably a Food for Life GF English Muffin with organic PB and J.

More :smoke::smoke::smoke: for a good night's sleep.

The black/dark bowel movements sounds bad. Like someone said, blood somewhere in the GI tract. Mine was always way down in the colon so it was bright blood dripping out of me.

Also, I have not eaten anything with artificial ANYTHING in it for many, many moons. It is WORK, and expensive, but my body does not want anything processed, packaged, or preserved, basically. I have been gluten free for about 10 years now.

Best of luck. Sometimes getting the correct diagnosis is hard. And WRITE DOWN EVERYTHING before you go to the doctor so you don't forget anything!!!

20. I can't offer much help other then saying I had bowel problems for 4-5 years before I was eventually diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis (Pancolitis)

Have you had a colonoscopy?