PLEASE HELP! Don't Want to destroy my new RooR!

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Chronic Blood, Nov 30, 2011.

1. For future reference, buy some vaseline or equivalent product (I use Burt's Bees Hand Salve) and rub that shit on your joints before a smoking session, you'll never have to worry about hydro lock.

2. any pictures of results?

3. Hey man... hot water alone sucks! IMO. Too much risk of breaking. When people contact me about these things, I suggest soaking the bottom part of your piece in pure simple green (from home depot... make sure it says "not from concentrate") Soak overnight or two. Run/rinse under "warm" water. Cleans off all the res and stuff clean.
    No guarantees... just a suggestion.

4. the part about the hydro or waterlock is right but the part about hot water cracking the glass is way off...you can use boiling water in your glass even if its cold and it will not crack...You would need serious heat much higher than boiling point to stress or crack the glass this way.

as a matter of fact most old school tokers use boiling water to clean glass pieces...i myself have a boiling hot pot that i use...first pour grunge into the piece then add boiling water..then shake it and your whole piece is spotless.

if you cannot get the stem out i would break the stem from the bottom part that is inside the beaker being careful not to harm the bong itself just break the downstream so you can get it out of there.

try tapping with the wooden spoon and pulling the stem out...its another option for you to try.

good luck man

puffer

5. If to take it out of a freezer and put boiling water I can see it cracking^^. But it's not super delicate. Glass can handle some temp changes.

Lol did I just read that you were using a hammer and nail? That's a horrible idea.

6. Word to the wise though... if dude has a hairline crack on his main piece that he can't see it -- boiling/hot water is going to just bust that thing and make that hairline crack a huge crack! Then... he is out of a Roor... and then, it might not even be repairable for a glassblower. :( <-- I've seen so many and heard so many horrible hot water stories.

7. The stories you hear are because the ppl telling them 1st, don't want to spend the money and 2nd are just uneducated about the subject. It won't do anything like you say(unless its a fake Roor).
    Borosilicate glass is not as susceptible to temp changes like most ppl's cheap china glass bongs. this is the same glass used in experiments where they put it on the hot plate for 20mins, then stick in freezer for an hour, then back to the hotplate. its the same glass you use to stick into your oven(Pyrex). Do some research, you'll learn grasshopper...

8. but be careful with boiling hot water, i've seen it cook the resin into the glass and it won't ever come out

9. hahahahahaha

10. I use boiling water to clean my custom Roors actually. Boiling water is much cheaper than alcohol. I boil a pot of water first(a decent sized pot relative to the size of the piece), then pour and let it flow through the piece. After the boiling, i put some just real hot water so i can handle the piece with bare hands because it will be very hot after the boiling. Anyway, It strips resin right off and out, all thats left is a thin film of resin, and just alittle salt and iso easily take care of that. I clean mine every few days or so. I have posted pics in the past.

*Remember, only do this if you're 100% sure its a boro piece* China glass will shatter if you try this and thats what the previous poster was referring to. A real Roor though will be fine.

11. Pliers? Really?

12. Unfortunately it isn't a 100% real RooR, its not made by RooR, its made by MWP, in china. In saying that though it is properly commissioned by roor and I've been guaranteed its hand blown. But its 5mm thick pyrex, this shit isn't gunna crack easily...

13. [quote name='"Chronic Blood"']

You sound pretty wise and well travelled in glass. Thanks, I'll give it a go later tonight. I wasn't aware of 'Hydro-Lock'... I actually thought I was being smart by leaving the joints wet so that they slid apart easily, but now I've landed myself in this hole. When you say hot water, are we talking about taking it up to the point where the tap is on fully hot? Like too hot to touch. I'll make sure I bring the heat up gradually and all, but seeing as I'm potentially risking the whole bong and not just the stem by doing this, I just want to be 100% sure. Thanks again.[/quote]

If your bong breaks when you pour hot water over it go back to the vending machine and grab a new one

14. #34 AaangelicaaA, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2011
    Um... My husband and I have been working with glass for just a "few" years :rolleyes: lol. <check out my link below>

So what are you saying.... if I put really really hot water on it -- it will seal the crack? Your funny, dude. You make me laugh. Thank you.

The glass they use in scientific labs is thinner glass than worked on bongs. Thinner glass is not as susceptible to temperature as thicker glass. Glass that is thicker will be temperamental when compromised -- crack. Plus, scientific ware does not have all the attachments and seals that are made on a bong. It didn't take 1/2 the time to make a scientific ware than a 420 ware. Therefore, comparing the two and it's temperaments is like comparing apples and oranges. Both are fruit but are not the same at all.

Soooooooo.... Since I'm talking to the resident glassblower here... let's see your work! Here's ours...

Attached Files:

15. To the OP.... have you been able to get it out? If "bad things happen" Lemme know if I can help.

16. Freeze it. Then use pliers to pull/twist gently on the glass point that's left of the downstem.

17. well if he has a hair line crack he is screwed either way....i don't know where anyone said anything about a crack in his piece..its just the downstem that is broken not the Bong itself.

boiling water does no harm to a real Roor ive been cleaning my glass for 10+ years with boiling water and have never broken a piece or had a piece show a crack because of this.

Puffer:smoke:

18. #38 Chronic Blood, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2011
    I've been putting it off a little bit because I don't want to see anything bad happening, but as a professional, whats your best advice? Also do you think blowers would be willing to fix it for me if I have no luck? Obviously not every single glass blower is into bongs, but still I figure there must be some out there that are cool enough.

Also, your pics look pretty nice, is your stuff available to buy? I'm in Australia, would you send them worldwide?

19. [quote name='"AaangelicaaA"']

Um... My husband and I have been working with glass for just a "few" years :rolleyes: lol. <check out my link below>

So what are you saying.... if I put really really hot water on it -- it will seal the crack? Your funny, dude. You make me laugh. Thank you.

The glass they use in scientific labs is thinner glass than worked on bongs. Thinner glass is not as susceptible to temperature as thicker glass. Glass that is thicker will be temperamental when compromised -- crack. Plus, scientific ware does not have all the attachments and seals that are made on a bong. It didn't take 1/2 the time to make a scientific ware than a 420 ware. Therefore, comparing the two and it's temperaments is like comparing apples and oranges. Both are fruit but are not the same at all.

Soooooooo.... Since I'm talking to the resident glassblower here... let's see your work! Here's ours...[/quote]

What you talking about Willis?
    No one said anything about fixing a crack with hot water.
    It was that hot water to try to free the stuck joint might crack the bong.

Lol big rant all wrong , better luck next time. You make me laugh dude, thank you.

20. Thank you for the compliment. Yes, we do ship internationally and I love my Australian buyers. They're really laid back and cool.

It'll be difficult for you to find a blower in Australia. I can ask in my "blower community" if anyone is out there. But last I heard, they weren't anywhere close in the glass world as America and Europe... and I guess you can include Asia in there too. =\

My best advise would be the simple green method I stated on page 2. That stuff costs a bit... probably under 20 (make sure it is the concentrated stuff... get the gallon bottle/not the spray bottle stuff. And use "warm" not hot water) but if you keep the bucket you use covered with a lid, you can keep using it for years. Our bucket is about 7 years old right now. On page 2, I wasn't 100% sure but after thinking about it... I am 100% sure because that's what we do to get rid of 100% resin on pieces. --> Otherwise, our kiln really stinks up with just a small hint of resin.... ew.

To all the other posters...
    -lmfao. It was a sarcastic joke about sealing the crack. The "grower", reelconn, just sounded like he was stating nonsense, so I thought I would too. :p
    -I said... the OP better make sure there is no crack and if he is unsure, he best not use hot water. He's not sure... and I'm not sure if he used a hammer or anything else metal like some people were suggesting.
    -All of you using boiling hot water, that's cool. Eventually, you'll give me or another local glassblower the work or just buy a new piece -- so, I'm not sweatin' any of you on that. ;) Support your local glassblower!