Please help a newb

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by akforty7s, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Whats up all...

I've finally wondered over to the "growing" part of GC, and I have offically made up my mind that I want to start growing.

I plan building my own grow box, not sure the destination yet, but will decide soon.

Now... I have a good ammount of questions I need answered, and I was wondering;

Before I start asking a bunch of newbish questions..
    Is there anyone out there willing to answer a bunch of these questions and be really patient with me?

I have a bunch of ventilation, temperature regulation, and other random questions I need answered. Looking for someone somewhat experienced to help me out..

anyone willing?
    :wave:

2. I'm still a little new to the game, but I've read tons of books and searched for about 6 weeks and studied my fucking ass off.. I'm willing to answer any questions that you may have that I could answer.

I've assited in tons of grows, spectated a couple and I'm currently building my growbox as we speak. Sheetrocks a bitch.

3. Sick,
    thats tight as hell bro.. thanks for helpin me out.
    Im drawin up a diagram so i can ask questions now, gonna take me a lil bit

4. Okay.. Do you have AOL IM / MSN / Yahoo?

5. Ok;
    here's some diagram's

[​IMG]

I plan on growing appx. 4 plants. For this, I choose a 3' x 3 'x 6' design. A temp. and humidty reader will be placed outside the box for easy viewing.

[​IMG]

Here is the box opened. Here come the questions.
    If something seem's like it wouldnt work, please let me know. Keep in mind I have never grown; but I have been doing my research. [questions are inblue]

I plan on spreading mylar all throughout the interior of the box.

1. Exhaust Fan - Placed at top of the box to release heat/humidity build up. Attatched to back of the box with a carbon filter. [Does the fan actually get attatched to a hole in the box, then led to carbon filter with pipe/hose?] [ How do I figure out how fast/powerfull the exhaust fan has to be?]

[​IMG]

2. Lighting (600 Watt Sodium EconoGro System X) - For this grow, I want it to be somewhat quick, so I plan on choosing a powefull 600 watt light. (I have a feeling this is going to cause too much heat, right?) [In contained boxes, do 400/600 watt lights need to be cooled some how? or does the intake holes along with exhaust create enough cool for the box?]

[​IMG]
    3. Squirrel Fans - Fan's to provide proper air flow inside the box.

4. Temp ; humidity gauge - Leading to outside the box for easy reading. [Is there a specific placement for this gauge for best results?]

5. Plants- [What would someone recommend for a setup like this for the veg/flowering process?]

6. Ventilation Intake- Im not sure if this would work, but it seem'ed like a cool idea. The bottom part of the box is split into 2 departments. I was thinking that in the bottom part, I could have a PVC pipe connected to both sides of the box (led outside box), then have the the PVC lead up to the plant area. I figured the box would have less chance of light leakage this way. [Would this technique work? Would the exhaust fan create enough suction to allow adequate air flow in?]

Thats the diagram.
    Just remember, I've never done a grow before, so I know this build is risky. I need to learn some pretty basic stuff, like when and how to water the plants (do I need a resovior, etc), lighting schudule, etc etc.

Do you think this grow box would get too hot?
    If so; whats the best way to control the temp.?
    What do you think would be the best type of wood to use for the building of the box?

I know a good portion of these questions are answered throughout all the forums, but I figured the answeres would be a little diffrent for this specific design.

thoughts / opinions / suggestions?

6. 1. exhaust fan: those fans are connected to dryer hose ducts (silver stuff, hold on i'll find a picture
    [​IMG]

You connect the fan to one of the silver ducts and drag it either into another duct, or outside.

2. Your lights with a couple fans should be OK, if you notice that your leave are turning yellow, you should look up whats called a cooling tube

4. Put the temperature gauge just around plant level, it doesn't matter much.

5. The strain is totally up to you.. they all will grow differently.. check out overgrow.com's strain base for reviews.

6. Just get a PVC elbow 90 degree pipe, so no light gets in/out and put a small fan facing in / out (you're gonna need one for the heat up top, and one for passive intake which could just be a hole with a elbow pipe)

Just use 2x4's and use sheetrock, that's what I'm doing. The wood shouldn't matter.. For temperature, you'll need at least one fan (desk / floor fan that oscillates (rotates) and one that blows air out, and a passive intake (air to come in) and that should keep it cool enough.

It's important to keep air moving with passive intake and oscillating fans, because it imitates the wind outdoors, and the plants sway back and forth making the stem stronger, bigger stems = bigger buds!

You should set up your light on a chain or pully system so you can move it up / down while the plants are getting bigger also.

7. Awesome dude,
    Thanks for the help.

Can't wait to start this project. I keep getting more idea's everyday.
    Im sure I will have more questions soon =P

8. There's a forest by my house that looks like that one in your signature

9. Hello ak47. I too am an anxious guy getting ready to grow for my first time to. ( im so nervous about losing my virgin green thumb ) lol. But unlike you two im going to grow outside.. I thought, since I live in Hawaii I should take full advantage of my surroundings. i.e. great sunshine, perfect humidity, perfect temp, perfect misting everyday! I have just ordered my seeds but I do not plan on using them till after my first grow.

I have found a kick ass grow spot over a mountain around a clearing by a forest. ( dam near impossible to get to ) I will have about 10 plants. Im very excited!

I have also studied my ass off about growing before attmeting this and if you have any wuestions about the plant it self I will be more than happy to tell you.