Please help a fellow green thumb out

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by 000DankStank000, Mar 5, 2014.

1. So these are my baby's I got 11 they were under a 150 watt T5 setup in soil and Dixie cups. Looked at roots and was time to move . So was put into 3 gal buckets and under a HPS 400watts and that's when shit hit the fan. Tents hot at 80f but I don't think it's heat related. Feeding kind base and kind grow plus liquid karma all by Botanicare. I bought a moist soil meter due to over watering being 1 killer and don't water till it says so. I also ph my stuff with a drip kit.

So the plants are very light green with the tips curling under and browning on some the lower leafs are yellow. All plants treated the same and 4 out of 11 have this issue.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I added pictures to help the gurus out
    Thanks

2. Did they suffer any transplant shock?  They look hungry but if you fed them than you will just have to wait it out.

2 weeks from now they will be off and running, keep giving them love but not too much.

3. I fed them Monday
    The soil is still saying that it is moist from the meter.

I made sure I used perlite in the soil with a bottom layer to get proper dranige aswell as pots have big holes in them.

So you think it is related to the transplant and I shouldn't worrie?

4. Does it look like a Nitrogen problem to any of the pros? or just a transplant shock like snoop said.

First grow hear don't wanna kill em off

5. I hope they greened up for you, keep me posted.

6. So only snoops wants to give his 2 cents to a newbie

Thanks snoop for taking the time :yay:

7. How are they doing?

8. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Hey Snoop
    I fed them after you said they looked hungry. They still don't look too good at the tips and now the tips are completely crispy. The color is still pretty light but seems a bit darker today. It is a steady 70 in the closet right now.
    I am picking up a fan filter combo Tommorow as well as a tent but I'm undecided on the size I made another post on that issue.

I gave pics to help with finding out what's wrong

9. OK the new growth looks good, keep them on a water diet for a while, small plants dont need much food.

10. Do you think I should flush snoop or just water?

I have been using my moist meter to know when to water.

I pick up my tent fan and scrubber tonight can't wait!

Will post pictures from today in a bit
    Thanks for the support snoop

11. So this is how they look today
    image.jpg
    This is the runt don't think she will make it
    image.jpg
    Then I got 6 that we're fed and water the same and look like this
    image.jpg

12. #12 Mark-it-Zero, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2014
    You may want to try to be a bit more careful with watering. The small plant's leaves are drooping from the middle not at the stem, also they are very thick and puffed up looking both of which usually indicate too much water/watering too often. When the soil isn't allowed to properly dry you will suffocate the roots and make them prone to root rot.

The other plants also look to have been over watered at some point or still are. Some of the leaf segments between the veins are puffed up and the segments that aren't puffed up are wrinkled usually meaning they have been puffed up as well. I think I also read somewhere that over watering can cause yellowing. If you move a small plant to a large pot water lightly first few times, having a large pot saturated in water with a smaller plant will take too long to dry and deprive oxygen which will stunt growth.

What I did to get use to watering with the right frequency is by doing it by weight. I watered a pot to like 15-30% run off and felt the weight, then I let the soil dry out just long enough to see the plant start to have a slight wilt from lack of water and felt the weight of the pot. It will be crazy light without water and is hard to forget the difference. You don't want to wait until they wilt every time because of excess stress, just use it the first time as a guide to the right weight and water before they start looking water deprived.

I'm pretty new myself but I have been reading up on nearly every aspect of the process on this website and various others for the past few months and following a lot of other peoples grow journals, I hope some of this info is of use and interested to see how your plants progress. Will you be keeping a journal of your grow?

13. Good info yes I'm sure I was over watering at the start and also gave too much nutes but I'm starting to get the hang of it. I was just gonna use this thread as my grow journal keep updating it in this thread.

I got a fan and some ducting to help with the high heat problems of 80F

14. Today's update. image.jpg
    Then this guy
    image.jpg
    Then little Timmy I don't think he is gonna make it
    image.jpg

So I now know that ounce a leaf dies that's it won't come back . So ounce it is dead do I pick it off or just let it fall off natural?
    The leafs that are crispy and burnt should I remove them or leave them?

The new growth is looking good
    I am doing ALOT less watering

15. May i suggest a solution for the watering problem?

Drill some 3/8ths inch hole sin the sides of your pots. Like the smart pots have. More on the bottom, fewer on top but kinda evenly spaced. This will help by giving the roots some much needed oxygen. and it will help dry out that overwatered soil. I bet if u do this it will be much easier to control. 

Throw that watering meter out, and learn to judge by feel. lift your pots up and see how heavy they feel when they are dry, and whe they are wet. This is a sure thing.

I invite you to check out the link to my dwc grow, but specifically the first couple pages where i show some of my monster soil plants. I am very good with soil and the pictures will leave you no doubt as to my advice. Unless you are trying to grow over watered plant that is lol. (i know you aren't, just a ll poke lol)I am learning to deal with root issues in my first rdwc adventure, and kinda miss my dirt lol.

16. and leave those leaves on there. The plant is using every ounce of the nutrition in them to stay alive while the roots are swamped. Unless you suspect a fungal issue on the leaves, which i don;t see there. When they are dried up, then take em off, they should fall of with a little shake or wind. 

Do you have a fan blowing on them? This will also help dry the soil out a bit.

17. Yes I have 3 fans going at this time.
    The temp today was 78f with a RH of 17% thanks to snoop dog it got it up from 9% the pots have 5 dime sized holes on the sides and one on the bottom. You are saying to add more holes?

I am aware of over watering but this being my first ever grow of anything I got carried away. They only need water like 2 times a week not 5 lol.

Even little timmie looks better today. image.jpg

How long does one veg our plants for in an indoor grow?

18. yes more holes like 20 more, but smaller, It works, and the root zone will love it. (a little tip for you that i use, is) i use a piece of stainless rod i had laying around and after i water, i squeeze my buckets a little to fluff the dirt, just a bit, and scramble up the top layer to fluff it some also, then i use that rod and poke it about 4-6 inches into the holes i drilled in the buckets, straight in, and gently. This increases oxygen and side by side with a plant just watered the normal way without the holes and fluffing, i get about 15-20% more growth. It works. Did u see my plants?

Try it, can't hurt anything. Just be gentle.

19. Calcium or boron deficiency? Thats what browning means sometimes.. As long as your watering it good and not too much light, make sure they aint burning up

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

20. The leaves are turning like that because the roots are, or were, drowning. They will seem to have a major deficiency, and you will see magnesium a lot, with a few other ones scattered about the plant. and of course the over watered look. That always seems to indicate root stress. I just learned a valuable lesson in rdwc and didnt think that over or under watering applied, and got my ass handed to me. and i knew it was what it was, just didnt understand how or why, untill i opened a bucket and was shocked, my roots were in trouble. 

But i do know dirt plants. And just to clarify about the holes in the buckets, i meant on the sides of the buckets, not just the bottoms. All the way up to about 2 inches under the dirt line.