Please explain.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by WeedlyGosh, May 23, 2017.

1. Hi to all.
    I've been debating within myself to start growing indoor for years and now finally got the motivation to do so.
    I've read online about lights and all the required utensils.
    My major concern is the lighting-
    I'm caught between LEDs and CFLs.
    I found a 14w 225 LED panel, will this be enough for one plant? It's full spectrum and is perfectly in my price range.

My worries in regard to CFLs are that I can only seem to find 20watt bulbs. And the amount of bulbs I'd need to use per plant (according to many sources) would be too much to fit in my grow box.

My eyes are set on the LEDs. If they would work from veg to harvest I can buy 3. Though I first need advice before ripping my finances apart..

Fair ye well!

2. What is the actual wattage out of the wall and how much are they?

3. Not sure about actual wattage out of the wall. The CFL bulbs say 20w equivalent to 100w, I know this isn't what I should have. Been reading that it won't suffice for from veg to harvest. The LED is a 14w panel, I assume the 225 means the amount of said LEDS. The more I read up about lights the more I get confused.

4. Also dont even pay attention so equivalent. Companys pump those numbers up.. Pay attention to actual wattage used..

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ive heard good things about Meizhi, and their prices look good. However, I would not recommend Mars, just my opinion.

OP, you should have about 30-40 actual watts per square foot I believe.

6. The manufacturer should tell you the actual watts. These companies that make cheap led panels mis-lead people by the way they market their products. For instance, a Mars 300 is not 300 watts, it's only 135 watts which is only good for one plant. That's why I asked what the wattage and cost is.

7. Thank you all for your input. Yes I want to stay as cheap as possible.
    I found 68 and 150watt CFLs.
    How many say 150 watt bulbs would be the BEST for one plant?
    Would one be enough?
    Or should I rather purchase smaller units like the 68 to spread the light?

8. Assuming that you provide a good environment and can grow a healthy plant - light is the most important thing for good growth and yields. Get the best and brightest lights you can afford.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Basically, like someone said above, you want a good 30-40+ watts per square foot of canopy. So if your growing a tiny little guy say a pc case, sure one might do it but I would still go 2.. but if your growing in like a 3x3 area, nah one wont cut it... Also when dealing with CFLs pay attention to the light spectrum 3500k is considered full spectrum, anything below that, say 2700k is better for flowering, anything above that like 6700k is better for vegging. If you really want to go CFL check out the guide in the stickies at the top of the Absolute beginners forum.