Please explain this to me - Organics 101

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by glueberry_crunch, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Hi all - I'm really interested in organic gardening. I'm interested in learning more about what is actually happening at a microbiological level, and keeping things in natural harmony is really appealing. However, I'm admittedly naive about it.

Can someone give me a scientific explanation of why a well balanced, amended potting soil or mix like Fox Farms Ocean Forest or Roots Organic requires amendments later on in the plant's lifecycle? The obvious answer is because nutrients have been depleted. I'm looking for more than that.

If something like FFOF already has mycorrhiza and beneficial microbes, and plenty of organic material for microbes to break down (assumptions), why isn't it sustainable (e.g. for a water-only grow)?

Again, I'm pretty ignorant and I have no microbio education. :) I'd appreciate if someone could help fast track my education.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2. #2 old shol4evr, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    delete

3. #3 Sc00byD00bie, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    They just dont load the soil with enough amendments to compete with what you can make by yourself. Most bagged soils come with just enough nutrients to last for a a few weeks before having to add more, they will even have it printed on the bag. The reason is they want you to either keep buying more soil or buy nutrients.
    foxfarm-1024x683.jpg

On top of that the kind of the compost component in any soil is what's determines its quality and you can bet these companies will not look for the top quality compost to make their soil with.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. It is quite possible to have a water only grow using FFOF or Roots Organic soil. It's simply a matter of soil volume vs. plant mass.
    As an example, 10 gallons worth of 'super soil' isn't going to get you a 10lb plant...or even a 5lbs. On the other hand 500 gallons of soil just might do the trick.
    RD

• Like Like x 3
  5. #5 old shol4evr, Aug 19, 2018
    delete

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. I have not. I'll check it out. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  7. #7 old shol4evr, Aug 19, 2018
    delete

8. If it is just a matter of volume, how do no-till container gardens work? Surely it isn't just about having more volume.

9. Educate yourself. There are a ton of resources here. Check out Gimik's library of PDFs in the GCO sticky section.

For some easy to digest reading with a general organic approach and explanation of what goes on with the soil and plants, I recommend Jeff Lowenfels "Teaming with Microbes" and "Teaming with Nutrients".

To answer your question, a quote from Jeff himself on the KIS Organics Podcast (great interviews with knowledgeable guests), "When you're growing a crop you're breaking the law of return by removing the stuff that normally would go back into the soil and put the nutrients back in again OK if you understand that you're breaking the Law of Return then you put yourself on parole and you put the stuff back in some form or fashion either by using a chemical, fertilizer if you're a chemical head or by putting in a substitute organic material if you're a soil food webby and then there you go simple as that; it's just the Law of Return".
    So, if you're growing a plant, you are taking from that body of soil - you must have matter being returned in some form.
    Which is why in organics we topdress and we have a thick mulch layer to facilitate a decaying top layer, that promotes a thriving microbial population - they break down matter and die releasing nutrients that can be used by the plant.
    Welcome to the organics Ohana!

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  10. Again Law of Return right? Little soil = small bank account. Big soil = big bank account. You want a big plant or one who has all it needs? Gotta take out a big loan

• Like Like x 1
  11. I think his point was that FF soil is so poor you will need a gigantic pot to make it to harvest with water only. It's always a matter of soil volume, with quality soil you need less.

• Like Like x 1
  12. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. Found these in the organic forum.

• Like Like x 1
  14. that's what I'm trying to do, brah. Reading up, but despite the research, still had this question. Thanks for the resources to read.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Don't worry about it. No matter how much reading you do you're going to have questions. The only Stupid question is the unasked ones.

• Like Like x 1
  16. This was a helpful explanation. Thanks.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Build yourself a supersoil. I have been growing my veggies in it lately and been running DTW coco for awhile but I just mixed up another batch the other day. I get a bit slower growth with the Super soil but not by much. It really is amazing to see a proper soil feed and produce steady growth, and knowing it’s all organic is comforting too. It costs a bit to get all the amendments at first but as you recycle it, it just gets better

18. Bruddah, forgive me if I came off as ignorant or stating the obvious. I felt that your question was too important to your gardening success to be answered solely by a forum post, and wanted to direct you to a huge wealth of information and answers at your fingertips. Any questions and the GCO homies got you back - Irie vibes

• Like Like x 1
  19. That is a solid mix with lots of wiggle room