Please Blades! Listen to this short song and tell me what you think! PLEASE!

Discussion in 'The Musician in U' started by Senior PoopiePants, Jul 2, 2012.

1. #1 Senior PoopiePants, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2012
    Hey guys... It's me again.

I never put up songs that aren't complete, but I don't know where to go with it. Plus I think it has the potential to be something really good.

I composed it, I played all of the instruments and I'm singing of course (multi-tracking), mixed it, mastered it, and etc. No one else is involved in this but me.

So tell me what you think. These lyrics were pulled from my soul - as I'm going through a rough time in my life - a really rough time...

So remember, it's just a demo, and it's only half done... Please tell me what you think. This is one of my most favorite songs I have created. I love the melody and how it builds.

What say you, GC?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKmaFmgPOpc&feature=plcp]The Light and the Grip of Night - Incomplete - YouTube[/ame]

And the lyrics (they are somewhat depressing):

I'm tired of feeling sorry for me
    But every day, it's worsening
    I'm not the person that I used to be
    Everything is crumbling

I can't seem to keep my head on straight
    I don't even know the date
    - Maybe the best thing to do with myself is:
    Get off the ground, take a step and don't fall down - again

(Verse)
    As broken souls, we wander for more -
    Looking for our own little cure
    Seeking out that light while I can't even escape the grip of night...

But I'll try 'till the day that I die
    - Never give up - Never without a fight
    - Take it a step at a time so maybe one day I can touch that light...

(Chorus)
    Or will I go back on my word? One day we will all know...
    Until then let me be all alone
    I might go back on my word - I just don't know
    Just let me be all alone...

And here's the one before the last song I worked on, which is also incomplete. I hate the high vocal notes in the chorus, but that's what sounded good in my head. Unfortunately I have the lowest vocal range, so I sound like a fairy when I sing high. :) But great song. A little more angry and aggressive. And don't ask what the vocals mean. They're only temporary... Never finished because of my crisis:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZgQR8yTICA[/ame]

And I made this a few years ago. Went punk on it's ass:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOtgi9vhCXE[/ame]

And this while we're at it:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LSKBxMj2uE[/ame]

And come on, people without accounts who are seeing this! Rate it on youtube! Good or bad! Leave a comment good or bad! Stop being girlymen! :p

2. Oh, and criticism is more than welcome.

Just please listen to it. :) I worked hard on this one (lyrically). I'm really only a guitarist, but I'm 33 so I've had time to learn the other instruments and I've always been computer savvy. :)

Come on, guys. If this were the one song I am begging for input, it's this one.

+Reps may be given out!! :wave:

3. Yo this sounds mad professional. Like the kinda shit you hear on rock radio, i love the vocals, very smooth recording harmonizing etc. I would suggest making the guitar sound a bit more layered and strong so it really kicks in, but yeah dude I really dig it

4. Word, thanks - I consider myself good at engineering and mixing to make a goo sounding mix. I've doing it since computers became fast enough to handle recording to one (late 90's).

I know my recording software (Cakewalk Sonar) like the back of my hand. :)

But yeah, the guitar. I need to add a few things. Especially that 16 bar section right before the verse. I'm thinking like a lead guitar doodle, low (as low as the chords) kind of, perhaps mimicking the main guitar line, but divulging a bit. But I love how the song builds and progresses. It's just that dead spot (like I said) before the verse that I need to add a guitar doodle.

Thanks! +REP for helping me out. Please like it on Youtube. :)

5. Hey, what about the chorus - if you don't mind me asking. I think it's (the vocals) may be too boring, but I love the vocals themselves (not the notes). I'm wondering how I can make that chorus really pop... I don't have a high vocal range - that note that I hit when I say (in the beginning) "Get off the ground, take a step and don't fall down-------- is an F# - The absolute top of my vocal range. I cant believe I even pulled that off, it's so fucking awesome (that intro part right when it all kicks in).

So I have to make the chorus better, but with my vocal range, I'm kinda lost... I wish I knew what to do. This song has been laying around for months on my computer collecting dust and I don't know where to go with it. Damn.

6. 139 views from guests and 4 from blades. Come on. Don't be scared to tell me if I suck! I can take it!

7. Come on, guys. This always happens. I post my shit, get mad views, but no feedback whatsoever...:(

8. Last bump before I give up.

I ask for input so I know if I should continue creating music or go in another direction.

9. I dont think Im that good of a critic but I like this man. Your vocals are pretty damn good in my opinion and fit the song. The fact that you did this all on your own is impressive. Its sounds great, like something right out of a studio. Keep up the good work man.

10. Thanks dude. I've always hated my voice and singing is a hard one for me, but I agree - for this song it sounds good. Here's a cover of REM I did as well. I think the vocals could be better on this one, though:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOtgi9vhCXE]Lifelong Lesson - Losing My Religion (R.E.M. cover) - Punk Version - One-Man Band - YouTube[/ame]

Enjoy! I turned it into a punk song! And I also covered a 311 song (Eons) if you're interested. Just say the word and I will post it. :)

11. Just listened to both of them on your youtube. That 311 cover was great! I like how you turned the R.E.M. song into a punk cover, I think you did great on both of them. Your voice sounds great as far as I can tell.

12. Thanks, bro. I put so much work into this shit (it's just me) and no one ever seems to acknowledge my music. It hurts. I see so many views, but not one can drop a comment or like. That gets under my skin.

But thank you for your kind words. I really do appreciate you taking you time out unlike our other fellow blades. I'm disappointed in them right now.

But not you, sir! Thanks again. +REP.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LSKBxMj2uE[/ame]

13. Anyone else? You all helped me when I posted that thread with my life story and about me being at the end of my rope.

Why can't I get much here. Thanks to the two posters, but come on guys. I listen to your stuff when you all post your music. Please give me back that respect.

14. christ i had typed out a post and my internet crashed.

anyways this is great. i heard that unfinished song of your in your thread about feeling shitty in life.

you should definitely try to set up meetings with DJs from local radiostations, see if they will play it. also try posting it on any forums that you city might have. just get the shit out there.

i hope you dont mind but im going to post this on an old forum i used to visit very often, i can PM you the link if youd like.

15. Sure! Absolutely! I also just re-edited the OP and added another incomplete one. This is the one I worked on at the same time as the one we were just talking about. I just hate my voice when it gets high in the chorus. Unless I'm wrong and it sounds good...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZgQR8yTICA]Never Again (Unfinished) - One Man Band - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks dude. I really appreciate it. +REP

16. im no music expert or anything, but when i like what i hear i like what i hear, yknow?

i wish i could give you some REAL advice towards your music.. but i cant even play an instrument so i really know nothing of it.

17. #17 BombedUp, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2012
    You have some quality music. Also the fact that you mixed and mastered it impresses me. I'm a producer myself, I mix as well and I know the work that goes into getting a good sound.

"The light and the grip of night" definitely has a good sound to it, I can hear a crossover song to that or a remix, like the hook with some extra instrumentation (maybe some strings, staccatos or something to give it that big sound), then a drop with a dope beat for some HipHop verses.

Your compression game is A1 as well! The mids seem a LITTLE muddy, but I'm listening on some skullcandy earbuds so the quality isn't exactly great lol. I may fire up my interface and krks and give it a clean listen tomorrow. Nice work bro

18. It's all good. But do you like what you hear or should I give up. I just can't seem to get anywhere with my music. :( And I'm talking the complete and finished originals. I just get NO feedback.

Hehe I'm using Skull Candy earbuds as well. I have Alesis M1 Active speakers with a 5" woofer. It sounds really good on nice monitors. I may have made the bass too loud on that song, though.

I just dropped that bassline recently but kept my synth version. But I wanted to get my shit up here on GC, so I muted the fake bassline and went with the real one. Didn't end up mixing it too well, perhaps. I was in a hurry.

And thanks for the compliments on my compression! That took a long time to get down (the one on the master mix). But then again, I have the Waves Mercury Bundle.... Ooh yeah. :)

Thanks for listening dude. From engineer and mixer to engineer and mixer.

But the rappy thing-beat? I don't know about that, haha.

19. Haha thats cool, but I know it'll bring a lot of attention; either way its great music lol. And Waves is the real deal bro lol, I've been using the V7 bundle as of late, I'm thinking of moving up to V9. Keep it up :metal:

20. Word, man. Thanks. Viva la Waves!!!

Those plugins are fucking serious. Dude in the beginning of "Light and Grip of night", I'm using the Metaflanger (my own settings), and then the other guitar kicks in (with the bass and drums) and it has it too, but with an ever so slightly modified setting. I love mixing :)

Listen closely to the clean guitar before I sing and during. I swear that Metaflanger makes that song!