Please Advise

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by liquidlightning, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Hey fellow blades,

So I posted this yesterday, but immediately afterwards the boards went down. I couldn't find it anywhere to make sure I'm not double-posting, so here we go:

I am planning my first ever stealth microgrow and I had a question about the lighting. For the endeavor I will be growing only 1 plant at a time. (Apartment building = space and smell issues.) And due to cost restraints, I will be using CFLs.

First off I'm going out and buying a clothing wardrobe/closet thing that is

6ft high (72")
    2.5ft wide (29.25")
    1.5ft deep (20")

Originally I was going to make it, but I'm lazy and not incredibly confident in my abilities, so buying is the way to go for now. (Some day though, I'd like to make one from scratch)

I'm not sure where I can find mylar but I'd like to use it to line the walls. I was originally thinking of foil but then I read about hotspots and how mylar significantly reduces the chance of that. Please correct me if I'm wrong here. I'm also thinking of a 120mm CPUfan for an intake and two 80mms with carbon scrubbers for exhaust, as well as just a small desk fan to keep air moving around a little.

Now the question: how much light will I want for a single plant grow?

I was originally thinking of using three 24W CFLs (I will be saving enough to get two sets in the proper colour temps for veg and flowering) but after looking at some grow journals I noticed a lot of people using the 42W bulbs and usually at least 4 per plant.

I guess I should also mention I don't want her gettin too incredibly big, from just over a foot to two feet tall or so would be my end goal.

Is there some kind of golden rule? I read somewhere a lumen/sq foot ratio. I've been lookin again today and I can't find it although it might have been a different site.

Anyway thanks for readin, advice appreciated.