Please advise. Possible bought wrong fan carbon carbon filter setup

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by ElementJ007, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Hello all

I'm doing my first grow room setup and I may have possible messed up with my fan and carbon filter selection. I managed to get a great deal on a 10x10 tent and I will have these items in it, two Led lights drawing 340 watts and one T5 24 inch for seedlings. (I possible may never use all the space.)

This is my issue, I was advised to buy a 8 inch 675 max fan and a 8inch 750cm rated phresh air filter. I'm finding this fan is way too power and the fan has no speed controler. Also this particular fan does not work well with aftermarket speed controlers, makes a lot of noise and it seems the fan motor gives of the most heat out of any of the items! I'm pretty much stuck with this filter and fan at this point. My question is this, max fan sells a smaller 6inch fan rated up to 334cm with a speed aduster built in. (My initial pick) Could I hook that fan to my 8 inch fresh air filter with screws to hold it in place and then just maybe duct tap or use anything else to seal the extra 2 inches and call it a day? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

2. #2 Kubrick, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2013
    Yea you can just get an 8inch to 6inch duct reducer. Should be fine. Can grab one at home depot or any online retailer for around $10. Just seal the connections like you normally would

3. That 8 inch fan isn't too powerful for a 10x10 room.  340w worth of light in a 10x10 room is underpowered however, and you could get away with a much smaller fan to control 340w of heat.

Fan "Speed controllers"  will cause early failure of your fan.  It's not good for it.   If noise is an issue, consider getting a duct muffler, it does the job quite nicely. (I use Phresh brand muffler and carbon filters) 

I think what you need to do in this case is reduce the size of your tent, or get more lights.   340w is probably good for about 2'x2' tent, and a 4" fan would do the trick.  Hopefully, that gives you an idea of how underpowered you are for a 10x10.

4. Thanks for the great advice guys, I ordered the max can 6 inch and used a 8 inch to 6 inch duct convertor from lowes. Worked like a charm. My main LED light draws 340watts of power but is suppossed to be comparable to 600watts. So far I've have pretty good growth. I plan on adding a second LEd light to the tent but want to keep my wattage under 1000. *Please, yes, I NEED MORE LIGHT* I live in florida and have tons of natural sun light, has anyone ever thought about adding one or two small sky lights? Could you please take a look at this and advise? http://www.infinigi.com/natural-light-10-inch-tubular-skylight-p-897.html?ref=98             

21 inch is suppossed to be equalivant to up to 1450 watts. I have a two story house that backs up onto maybe a 30 acrea reserve and I'm guessing only a helipcopter could spot that, but would they even care...