Playing Music to increase vigour and yield

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Father Ted, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Ok, this topic has been hotly debated for centuries.

I know it's very much anecdotal in terms of evidence, but what are YOUR experiences?

Do you play music to your plants? I read this interesting article about saying mean things to plants (remind anyone of Ghostbusters 2?)

IKEA conducts bullying experiment on plants — the results are shocking

Personally I play Mozart to my plants and I have no idea whether they like it or not but they appear to look more vigorous after a good few hours of it pumping out during lights out. I have also played solfeggio 528 when they have been stressed or suffering from insect injury.

I guess there is some link to the theories surrounding music and also lunar planting?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Its definately a debatable topic, obvioustly the fact that plants dont have ears and cant "hear" but there are some pretty interesting articles out there about theories and actual tests on how music actually helps plants. Here's a quote..

((How could music affect plant growth if plants don't have ears? To explain how it may work, let us look at how we humans receive and hear sound.

Sound is transmitted in the form of waves that travel through a medium, such as air or water. The waves cause the particles in this medium to vibrate. When you switch on your radio, the sound waves create vibrations in the air that cause your ear drum to vibrate. This pressure energy is converted into electrical energy for the brain to translate into what you understand as musical sounds.

In a similar manner, the pressure from sound waves create vibrations that could be picked up by plants. Plants would not "hear" the music, they would feel the vibrations of the sound wave.

Protoplasm, the translucent living matter of which all animals and plant cells are composed, is in a state of perpetual movement. The vibrations picked up by the plant might speed up the protoplasmic movement in the cells. This stimulation then could affect the system and improve performance, such as the manufacture of nutrients that develop a stronger and better plant.

Different forms of music have different sound wave frequencies and varying degrees of pressure and vibration. Louder music, like rock, features greater pressure, which some people think might have a detrimental effect on plants. Imagine the effect of strong wind on a plant compared to a mild breeze.))

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. I would go with something that’s got more bass. It likely stresses the plant similar to a breeze that results in strengthened stalks

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. Some of the summarise of studies that I read indicated that violin was popular, and yes rock music seems to be the worst.

I think vibration is the key and its why I play solfeggio to them. If a healthy blade of grass vibrates at 528hz and an unhealthy blade far less then through the theory of entrainment then I suspect this is what helps music (or should I say vibrations) have some kind of effect on DNA.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. For the most benefits try music tuned to 432hz. The standard 440hz tuning is a conspiracy by the Illuminati to poison the earths natural life force and turn the frogs gay.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Yes there is some debate around those frequencies....I'm not sure about the Illuminati but some of those frequencies sound an awful lot like screaming...saturn sounds like it's screaming....

7. I play phish all the time anyways.. my plants are lazy, entitled and constantly scream "Wooo"..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  8. For years now after my own studies in this:

I play Mozart. (on an mp3 player on travel type speakers)

during early to mid veg under my T5 rack and for grows in Winter up to late veg,

as a guess it improves growth/ rate/Vitality by about 20-30% (only with lights on)

Much has been played with in the media but it is strange that no Horticultural student

has yet to test and publish standardized trials.... how many Horticultural students out their?

I've yet to use music during flower only cause the are moved of to the flower room ...lol

cheers/

9. Probably more like 2-3%, within margin of error for standardized tests, surely it’s been done. If you see improvements in 20%+ range it’s probably more to do with the musics effect on your own cognitive abilities to read and diagnose your plants.

10. I write songs for my plants and sing them in my gardens! Here is one I wrote called "Grow":

Grow, little weed plant grow.
    Get big and tall so one day i will know,
    Exactly when to harvest you, and you will get me stoned.
    So grow, little weed plant grow!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Grow grow grow your dope, sprout from little seed. Merrily merrily merrily merrily white widow and blue dream

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. #12 Vee, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Don't get me wrong I hate Mozart with a vengeance

its just trying to grow 30 plus seedlings under a T5 rack

can be a slow and tricky operation every trick is needed

hence the music the way I see it is.the music represents morning 'birdsong'

with which the plants respond too

I have tried actual morning birdsong taping audio of 5am 60mins

it was not so effective either was jungle audio from YT relaxing video too