Platinumkidd's Running Out of Space Coco LED Grow

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by PlatinumKidd, Feb 15, 2016.

1. #1 PlatinumKidd, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    Welcome to my journal!

My current grow setup:
    3 custom Rubbermaid 18gal stacked
    (1pc 120mm fan intake and two for exhaust)
    185w LED Halo
    x2 100w CFLs (for veg)

5 gal smart pot
    60/40 coco / perlite mix

Nutes:
    Ironhead's method
    Epsom salt
    General Hydroponics Flora Micro
    General Hydroponics Flora Bloom
    Total Pond Barley Extract Pond Clarifier
    General Hydroponics Roots Excelurator
    General Hydroponics Koolbloom
    General hydroponics Floralicious plus

Water:
    Bubbled tap water from the hose

Seeds:
    Nirvana Northern Lights Fem

[​IMG]

Follow me on IG @Platinum_Kiddd

• Like Like x 3
  2. #2 PlatinumKidd, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2016
    So I had picked up some root extender from where I purchased my seeds and mixed 4g in coco coir mix and sprinkled 1g where seedling was planted. I'll post a pic later of the product used

Seed planted Jan 13th and sprouted above medium on Jan 16th

I'm giving it about 2-3 cups per watering at this point which I realized later on in the grow was too much. I was feeding every day until 10% run off which seemed to be working out pretty well for the first week or two.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. [​IMG]

Easy over night growth. This was before I switched to Ironhead's nutrient method. I was using basically the same nutrients as his formula just different strength.

I think watering about 2-3 cups per day was too much for the seedling as the growth was extremely slower than my soil growing experience. However there was still visual growth over night.

[​IMG]

At 3 weeks old Still using the old nutrient formula. My theory for such slow growth changed at this point. It seemed to be caused by low the nutrient levels I was giving it. This next picture is from the day after feeding with Ironhead's formula. The plant was VERY responsive and I could tell how much it loved the upgraded nutrient levels I had fed it the day before.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  4. #4 Trichuk, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2016
    Hello there, you're plant seems to be coming along nicely.
    I also grow in coco and have for a few runs now.
    Don't worry so much about over watering with coco, from what I've learned..you can't over water so as long as its getting run off and the water isn't locked up somewhere and keeping it soaked.
    One of the biggest mistakes people make with coco is under watering.
    I have a plant that I feed twice a day, 2L at a time and a smaller plant that I feed once a day with 700ml.
    So if I can help with any question you may have, let me know.
    P.S. Misting is not a good practice, just try and get a good amount of humidity in the room and stop misting..lol

• Like Like x 3
  5. Thanks for the feedback!

I have been watering every other day now and it seems to be doing well. I started to get spotting on the lower fan leaves around week 4 of veg.

Oh I wasn't aware misting was bad.. To be honest I was just washing down the leaves after using some insecticidal soap I had laying around lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. The day I took this picture (about 7 days ago) I flushed with just water and Florakleen and the next day I watered with 1 cup nutrients. Since then I have tried to lower the saturation in the medium

1 cup every other day and I think tomorrow I might raise the watering again since it is showing more growth and no more spotting

[​IMG]

7. #7 Trichuk, Feb 16, 2016
    Do you see how the leaves are turning?

There is something going on with the roots.

I am totally thinking you're under watering.
    I would also start to add more nutes....remember coco has know nutrients it's totally sterile.
    So whatever nute you give, that's all they get.
    I would suggest at least 75% strength with nutes.
    Plus when you water, you have to think about the planters you're using..those planters will take water from the plant ...and one cup isn't enough. Start to put at least 1L every time you water. Remember there in coco and you can feed everyday...coco is hydro so you can!
    You need to start watering to soak the planter. Put the planter in something to catch the run off.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Feed everyday.
    Just so you know I'm not messing with you.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1455626004.057399.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1455626016.384941.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. Since Ironhead told me to cut back on the watering the growth has actually started back up again. I was keeping the root zone too saturated when it was only 2-3 weeks old. I was using an average of 3 cups per day of water.

Nutrients are full strength Ironheads formula as well I don't think I should tweak a formula that has been proven to work. Especially since I do not have the required experience in that field haha.

My plan was to eventually bump it up to 1L per watering like you suggested.

• Like Like x 1
  10. [​IMG]

This picture was taken Saturday. The plant showed some more growth so I topped it at the 3rd node.

On another note I've never used lst on a plant before so this will be my first attempt. If anyone has any suggestions about it that would be much appreciated!

• Like Like x 1
  11. If your going to LST, start from the bottom with an anchor and work you're way up. You just topped it so maybe wait a couple day.

12. I'm just saying you're plant at that stage, doesn't look right.
    The leaves are starting to shine and crinkle....take note of that because that's not right at that stage of growth.
    PS, Ironhead did tell you that in good intentions for the time, but I'm telling you, you're root are having issues.

13. This one is came out on the 7th of Jan.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1455648858.423626.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1455648872.371746.jpg
    Just so you know, a plant will slow in growth when developing new leaves, roots, branches...so there is no tell what slowed it down, but all I can tell you....that's the way she grow.

14. So if I have trouble with the roots what do you suggest that I do to combat those symptoms? I noticed the wrinkling of the leaves this week too.

You think this is root rot? This is my 1st grow in coco and 2nd grow ever. Total noob >.<

This pic is from this morning about 1/2 hour with the lights on

[​IMG]

15. #15 Trichuk, Feb 16, 2016
    I told u what I think...plus those planters aren't the best for coco. They absorb to much water.

16. I'm going to wait it out maybe another week and if it is still crinkled and shiny

17. Ok, but don't say I didn't try and help.
    I'll watch the progress.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Really? I've never heard of anyone having issues using coco in a smart pot...

Well this week has been a good turn around for the plant and a lot of growth but I see what you mean with the crinkles on the leaves. Doing more research on this now too.

19. Don't get me wrong I really appreciate the feedback and advice man.

I've been told about 20 different "reasons" the plant has these symptoms so now I am taking all of them in to account and researching all of the possibilities so I can plan my course of action to fix these issues.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Ok well make sure you're ph is good...here's a chart, use the hydro side.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1455655682.803555.jpg