Plastic Surgery

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Deleted member 646086, Jul 8, 2015.

1. #1 Deleted member 646086, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    What do you guys think? Is plastic/ cosmetic surgery right or wrong? or is it completely subjective. I believe that in some cases people go way overboard and end up looking like barbie dolls, but what do you think about “minor" procedures? ( that is if you consider it minor) For example if a person has been bullied their whole life about the size of their ears, chin, their nose etc, would it be wrong for them to get something done to alleviate mental illness that came with the abuse? Has society normalized it in a way now that people are doing whatever it takes to look good or presentable ? It may be right or wrong, but morals vary from person to person. Some people will agrue, “it good to be unique, don't let others change you” and others will argue “if you get a procedure done then you let those who made fun of you win” How much of this is self-righteousness, and not actual compassion?

Also, how is putting on 10 pounds of makeup in the morning, or hitting the gym to get a “killer” body any different? Or getting a 80 grand car rather than a solid 20 grand car that easily gets you from point A to B. I guess what im saying is vanity is everywhere but when it gets too personal or concrete, people freak out and put their shame onto something like plastic surgery.

2. Body modification has been a constant in human nature since humans were human.. plastic surgery is just complex body modification. To me, you do what you want.. I might think it is ugly and pointless, but I'll keep that to myself until you ask or act high and mighty towards me first.

3. hitting the gym for the body and paying for surgery are different IMO...it may all be vanity (but not everyone who works out does it for vain reasons) but they are actually putting in the time and work to get the "killer" body

your car example would be like buying a car ready to ride, or buying the parts and putting a badass car together, both end up with a car, but 1 took the time and effort to do it...

4. People can do w/e they want, idgaf. Although I gotta say it's a damn shame so many women are opting for fake tits, that shit is just tragic.

5. #5 Deleted member 646086, Jul 8, 2015
    I meant like buying a beamer over a honda or a mustang over it, and these are just few examples I can think of a ton more.

6. but again, hitting the gym and paying for surgery arent comparable....its like buying a car and building a car, it ends up with a car but one took effort and time...

1 trip to the doctor and your fine vs 4 years in the gym plus eating right

What version of Honda? they have different ranges, i drive an 88 Mustang GT, its not worth as much as a 1996 Honda Accord, but i bet most people would like my convertible over the 4 door honda

There are models of Hondas that cost more than models of Lincolns and Cadillacs....but cars arent compairable to body types, because if you work out to make your body right, you can't just up and change it for a different model, like you can a car...

7. #7 Deleted member 646086, Jul 8, 2015
    the work doesn't justify the vanity. Why are you working so hard in the first place? to get a nice body be above average. It's the human condition to want to raise the bar and be above the norm. Same goes with jobs, why do you think people worship famous people or a celebrity nowadays. In my opinion its weak to say “ I wanna be like that guy” but we all do it. Nobody wants to work 9-5 its a sad truth but most people do..

8. why does it have to be vanity? why couldn't someone like a Cadillac over a Honda? or the people that prefer Chevy over a Ford, most are like that because they had a bad experience with a ford or chevy...and now its just what they like, it doesn't have to do with vanity, i like Cadillac's but it doesn't give me excessive pride or make me think im better than someone that doesn't have a Cadillac, i like big old cars

what if their dad had a 77 Trans Am when they were growing up and now they want one because of the memories it brings of their father? or they wanted to give their father that car again because of the history

people do things other than just pride and prestige

9. you're assuming people are doing these things for vain reasons but the whole reason plastic surgery came about was to help burn victims....but if you can afford it you can have it done without being a burn victim....

10. #10 Deleted member 646086, Jul 8, 2015
    I guess if it's a passion then its differen't like if an auto mechanic really loves cars since he was a kid or something and chased his dreams. But everyone has their reasons for having a nice car if its for show or if it's because they truly love cars. Maybe it wasn't the best example but i think you understood the main premise I was trying to propose. Another example I can think of is why do some people only wear top quality brands that overprice the fuck outta their clothing?

11. again assuming, some brands are actually made better than "off-brands" Shoes are the perfect example

12. #12 Deleted member 646086, Jul 8, 2015
    I'm not arguing that, it seems like you are arguing for the sake of arguing. You don't have to nitpick my examples. I'm just saying in general society as a whole has these suttle ways of being vain but when it comes to plastic surgery it's the bane of mankind. I don't care what anybody says, everyone has a little narcissism in them.

13. live and let live. dont judge ppl for wanting to make themselves feel better

though if they dont jiggle Tadealis won't mingle. lol jk

14. What makes a person get plastic surgery? They want to live upto expectations of beauty that aren't real, they're manufactured. There is certain biological indicators that indicate health and we are naturally attracted to them, but beauty in our current society is far from true beauty. True beauty is finding beauty in the frail and weak, or even the ugly. What are people uncomfortable in being their own natural expression as God made them? We doubt ourselves and we doubt nature. We live fearing things, but a life without fear is freedom. Why don't we allow ourselves the freedom to be comfortable as we are rather than trying to make ourselves happy by chasing empty ideals?

15. Its no different than using clothing jewelry or piercings for vanity.

Idk why people draw an arbitrary line at plastic surgery

-yuri

16. sometimes it's hard to accept yourself for who you are in such a judgemental world / society, when it's in our DNA to seek acceptance from other peers or individuals. But is it really chasing empty ideals? What if a person has been bullied their whole life over a certain characeristic and wants a procedure done to not stick out in a crowd, to fit in. A very differen't aspiration than chasing “unrealistic beauty” as you say. What if it boosts a person's self esteem which in effect allows a person to be more comfortable in their own skin / more capable of being their true self socially or ability - wise.

17. #17 pickledpie, Jul 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2015
    I think it's a problem inherent within society at large. We generally conform to a lower state of consciousness that often causes us to put down others in order to make us feel better about ourselves. There's a permeating ignorance that emerges from our base and animistic nature and our society generally revolves around that rather than our divine, higher nature that intuitively understands reality. The possibility exists but conformity to such a low level culture brings us back into the loop of ignorance constantly. A man who is fearless, whether ugly or otherwise assumed as lowly by others will not be assumed as such. Power comes from having an unshakeable confidence. When other's attempt to decrease our power, we allow them too. Those who have renounced the world are free from all the fears associated with it.

18. Cosmetic surgery for reasons of vanity disgusts me. There's nothing anyone can say to convince me that their boob job is for the best, or that their nose job will make their life better. Fuck that

19. Hah that's a pretty ignorant statement, what if it's for confidence or an improved self-esteem.

20. You shouldn't be able to buy self-esteem and confidence.