plastic surgery benefits what?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Voice01, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Plastic Surgery. Isn't it weird that people actually undergo plastic surgery? Like I understand that there's the people that absolutely need reconstruction due to an injury or birth defect, but other than that, it is completely vein. Not in anyway saying that being vein is wrong…..but…isn't it?

Doesn't it defeat the whole purpose of self-confidence. I mean, plastic surgery does give you self confidence if it fixes something you weren't confident about…..but then did you fix your confidence at all REALLY?
    :p

2. You're right.

It's probably an extension of our love for status symbols. Bling, rims, maybe in the future... fake ass cheeks.

People want to be coveted, but they are told to want that. They must be convinced somehow to do so. I don't think they should, but that's another post.

3. It's sad to have to conform to other peoples "wants". And we do all this for what........?
    :rolleyes:

4. People want to look they way they want to look, and we have the tech for that.

I see it as an expression of one's self.

5. Not when the expression is to look like everyone else.

6. Even those of us who try not to will conform to some standard, we can only tell ourselves we won't.

Very few of us could say that we could exist outside of society. It helps us in a lot of ways but what you are talking about is a way in which it hurts us. This idea that we could trade our earnings for a shortcut or a body we are not destined to have. I'm not sure I've heard of the person for whom this type of thing has improved their lot in life, but surely people exist to give testimony.

In this, we are encouraged to reject who and what we are and try to become something "better," by someone else's standards. We should all be who we are by our own standards. I've known girls who wanted bigger breasts, and you could not convince them to appreciate what they had. Gorgeous girls. And it was this, even more than if they actually had surgery, that brought them lowest in my eyes.

If what you have isn't good enough, how will anything ever be good enough?

7. How? It's their body, how they choose to look is ultimately dependent on them. The variables are endless.

I have a tattoo of a crop circle on my forearm. Some one could easily say I have a tattoo to look like or fit in with other people who have tattoos, and they'd be wrong. They could say I have it to 'stand out', which would be wrong as well.

Old people want to look young, ugly people want to look not ugly (regardless of the definition of ugly).

I wear pants. Is it because society tells me to and I have the subconscious desire to look like other people to quell my insecurity issues, or because I like the idea of pants?

So you thought less of them because they didn't adhere to your standards?

I know, right? I was naked and penniless when I was born, so naked and penniless is what I should be happy with.

^Sarcasm.

8. I don't really think that's the point thought really. Tattoos and pants aside. I'm talking invasive surgery changing a part of your body that is you, uniquely YOU.

and only YOU.

To get a boob job, nose job, lypo... to achieve a look of someone else. Its just a confidence issue.

9. #9 Postal Blowfish, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2011
    That's probably a little bit true. My standards being only that they should appreciate themselves. It is natural to want to improve, but I don't agree with the idea that anyone should have a shortcut to "improvement." In fact, I tend to think that such people who believe this are fooling themselves even when they can do it. I always want to say "be who you are." Maybe some fake titties is who they are, though. It just seems pointless.

As I said though, I'm probably wrong about a lot of these people.

10. How do you know they want to look like someone else, and not like a reflection of what they feel they should look like?

If it is a confidence issue, so what?

Are you your body or are you your mind?

Just curious. :smoke:

11. I am guessing that most of you are guys. I am also guessing that you like a woman in a well filled bikini [or out of it]

People are diminished because some guy will randomly tell them that this model is hot, or that model is hot, and you would look great if only your tits were bigger/ass were smaller/were thinner.
    You are too fat, your tits are too small, you need a better ass. Your nose is ugly.

So women go in and get mutillated to get bigger tits, smaller nose, rounder ass, liposuction. Get bulimia [eat to cope with stress then go throw up to stay skinny].

So, now what is the root cause of the problem?

12. lol, google "gluteal augmentation" its been around for awhile :D

sorry to burst your bubble....butt

tarharhar

im tired.