Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

plastic stem for homemade bong

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by tripmelots, Aug 25, 2010.

1. sup guys. i have been using a hollowed out plastic pen with a socket slotted into one end of the pen as a stem and bowl for plastic bottle bongs. The bong hits mean as but i am worried if any plastic toxins are getting released as the smoke goes down the pen into the water? I'm not worried about the metal bowl heating up and melting the point where it touches the pen as i have used it many many times and the pen shows no sign of warping of melting whatsoever. its just the inside of the pen that i can not see and if the harsh smoke is doing harm as it goes down the stem I'm worrying about. can someone please tell me if they think I'm breathing in plastic toxins with my hits?

2. Shouldn't really use plastic, buy hey everyone has done it and it gets the job done.
    Just as long as you don't taste anything besides weed, or the pen starts melting i wouldn't worry about it.

3. Yes. If the pen gets hot enough, it's possible for the inside to begin to melt. If I were you, I'd just get a glass slide. Just buy a cheap bong while you're at it.

4. due i always do this i cant actually get a glass or metal stem so its my only option in my opinion just do it untill somthing better comes along

5. as long as no plastic is actually burning, you should be right. it's always a risk, but if the bowl is metal it is probably okay.

maybe use a new pen every few weeks or so to be on the safe side?

my homemade piece is a 600ml coke bottle with garden hose as the stem and a socket for the cone. i only really use it when i need to be discrete and sneak it out of the house, otherwise its my ceramic or glassy.

just try to limit the use of it and i dont think you will suffer any ill effects

happy toking :bongin:

6. Famous last words...

In my opinion, Smoking from plastic is BAD!!!

7. in aus we use parts of a garden hose, works wonders.

8. you do need to replace the plastic occasionally, if not because its melting or becoming damaged but to also have a cleaner smoke. you should check regularly to make sure its not melting and if you don't already, space out the timing of your hits on it just enough to where the socket doesn't get too hot

9. go to home depot and get a short piece of copper or brass pipe...

10. smoking from plastic is bad, but if this is simply a temporary thing like i know we've all come to do at least once then its fine. just make sure u actually do go out and get a real slide or heck even an actual bong maybe. cant smoke outta plastic forever (preferably not more than a few times)

11. The piece of brass will work. But smoking from copper is almost just as bad as plastic. I've seen butane lighters oxidize copper, and that shit gives off some nasty chemicals.

12. ok thanks guys. i cant get to a headshop anytime soon to buy a glass piece and ordering on the internet is out of the question as my parents would open the package before i got to it haha. Yeah ive seen no melting or warping what so ever of the plastic but i might go grab a garden hose

13. Correct me if I'm wrong,
    Copper is a very poisonous metal, especially when heated. I think someone said that before me.
    Brass contains lead too, So unless you get non-leaded brass that has near to no lead (%0.25) it wouldn't be safe either.

• Like Like x 1
  14. does your herb fall thru the socket since the hole is big? if not wat do u do? i always have tht problem

15. You put a screen in it.

16. What do I do when I inhaled the melted plastic pen..

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. OP is 8 years old.

Go seek medical help.. why wouldn't you just buy a glass bong they don't cost alot & won't fuck your lungs up..

18. Wow. I'm 30, started making plastic bongs over half my life ago. Smoking out of plastic is not bad. What do you think acrylic is? As long as the shit doesn't melt or chemically react to the flame, it's not gonna hurt you. I smoked out of homeade bongs for 5 years and could do it for another 50 without any repercussions. Smoke the weed and not the plastic and you don't NEED anything else. PERIOD. My suggestion is to get some plastic to go around the bottom of the socket and not in it, then you shouldn't have to worry about your flame getting at it. Unless you fry the hell out of your green and suck the flame in.. in that case stop smoking and don't waste your money!! Just kidding . You should be good .

19. Most likely, you will cough.