Plastic downstem?

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by Groplin, May 4, 2016.

1. I put together a pretty cool little ghetto with a sliding bowl. I used a pen tube for the downstem, it also acts as a female piece for the bowl. The bowl is a french horn mouthpiece and it works great, but I'm wondering if anything I used is toxic. The mouthpiece I believe is made of stainless steel, the main chamber is made from a water bottle, and the downstem is made of a thick plastic pen. The mouthpiece gets too hot to hold and that heats up the stem a little bit, just warm to the touch. The water in the bottle allows the bottle to stay cool, so I think that's fine.

2. I don't think you'll have to worry about the bowl piece being stainless, that should be ok. But plastic down stem and housing? No Bueno. The smoke is going to barrel down that downpipe hot as fuck, probably releasing some nasty shit.

"The world is in your hands,
    Mine are in the dirt."

• Like Like x 1
  3. I never really thought that the actual smoke would be hot enough to release anything from the plastic, do you know of any common items that I could use as a downstem?

• Like Like x 1
  4. When you're sucking in, that flame shoots down the down stem and all that heat associated with the flame is there. Even if it doesn't get sucked into the bowl, that flame is hot as shit. When I used to be underage and broke I used a skinny wind chime as a downstem on a lot of homemade pieces. Lol.

"The world is in your hands,
    Mine are in the dirt."

5. I personally don't own a wind chime, but I'll look around, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  6. I had a Zebra stainless pen (writing utensil) that was just a stainless tube after I took it apart. It was a bit thicker than normal too. I have a stainless clothes drying rack thing, that is just full of hollow stainless tubes, although it's very thin gauge and not very durable (bends easily).

I agree with CarterCannabis about avoiding plastic. Sockets are a decent steel alloy, perhaps a 5mm deep socket . . . eh, wouldn't really be long enough for stem duty. I don't know man.

What do you mean by, "sliding bowl"?

• Like Like x 1