plants wilting and dying

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by al3k5, Aug 14, 2011.

1. And my heavy duty just got a few nugs harvested today I'm going threw a drought lol but will harvest next Sunday then my critical is week 3 n frosty as a mofo search first grow cfl bagseed its under grow journals

2. Oh very nice, you growing outside? And I think its too late to remove that foil and replace it with emergency blankets now, because of the way I have the trellis setup, don't want to disturb the plant since its starting to grow through it now. I was thinking of investing in another one of those red fans, to help circulate the air? or Maybe another pc fan? I do have an extra usb outlet for it...? Should I get another fan for intake, or out? I was thinking intake, since my top is open?

3. U need an intake a circulation fan and an exhaust fan all blowing towards the next fan man

4. [quote name='"icheefaduhreefa"']U need an intake a circulation fan and an exhaust fan all blowing towards the next fan man[/quote]

I have all of that...still above 85...I was saying should I add another intake or another exhaust?

5. U could try another intake but u can't just grow out of the box in a closet ? I have so many lights in mine but shit stays at 80 all day then I'm like 77-78 at night

6. [quote name='"icheefaduhreefa"']U could try another intake but u can't just grow out of the box in a closet ? I have so many lights in mine but shit stays at 80 all day then I'm like 77-78 at night[/quote]

No there is no room in the closet...that was the first option lol. And porbably the easiest...

7. #87 Araltus, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
    take a wall down, the reflection lost from this is not as significant compared to the gain your plant will get from lowering temps.

Also note "Aluminum foil is no more than 55% reflective - if used, make sure that the dull side is the one that is used to reflect the light. When it becomes creased its reflectivity is even lower (around 35%.) It is also very dangerous to use because it creates hotspots easily..." (taken from these forums on relective materials.

If u still dont want to take a wall down...you could try adding a fairly large passive intake (no fan). The better the "vacuum" the more your exhaust fan will pull new/cool air in through the passive intake. One small pc fan might not be efficient enough to pull in the air.

8. [quote name='"Araltus"']take a wall down, the reflection lost from this is not as significant compared to the gain your plant will get from lowering temps.

Also note "Aluminum foil is no more than 55% reflective - if used, make sure that the dull side is the one that is used to reflect the light. When it becomes creased its reflectivity is even lower (around 35%.) It is also very dangerous to use because it creates hotspots easily..." (taken from these forums on relective materials.

If u still dont want to take a wall down...you could try adding a fairly large passive intake (no fan). The better the "vacuum" the more your exhaust fan will pull new/cool air in through the passive intake. One small pc fan might not be efficient enough to pull in the air.[/quote]

Sounds like a solid idea man

9. [quote name='"Araltus"']take a wall down, the reflection lost from this is not as significant compared to the gain your plant will get from lowering temps.

If u still dont want to take a wall down...you could try adding a fairly large passive intake (no fan). The better the "vacuum" the more your exhaust fan will pull new/cool air in through the passive intake. One small pc fan might not be efficient enough to pull in the air.[/quote]

Ok when you say passive intake, I should just cut a huge hole near the bottom of the box? Near the intake fan? I was also planning on adding another intake fan...

10. no cut hole in botton for free flowing air then cut hole in top of box the hole in the top is where you want your fan blowing air out of box if you do it that way it is passive intake cause the air in the top is hotter so you want to get that air out and the air lower is cooler so it will drop your temps and give them air flow around your plants this make sense to you

11. and i wouldnt use aluminum foil just paint it white aluminum foil gets hot and will burn your plants if they touch it that what i was always told i might be wrong

12. and get your self some 6 inch clip fans from wal mart there like 10 bucks have them blowing the tops i got 4 in a 3x3x7.5 and 2 hid light that add up to 1000 watts hid with out ac running i hit 87 since its cooler out now keep my light 10 inches from top and 2 cool tubes

13. Been reading up on passive intake. Read its onlyy good if you have an enclosed space, so it can cause a vacuum? Also you need a good exhaust fan for that. My box I'm growing in has no top, and mu pc fans aren't great...

14. #94 Araltus, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2011
    Yes you want/need a vacuum for passive intake. Your exhaust fan not only pulls warm/old air out of the box, it literally pulls new/cool air in through your passive intake hole(s).

I do agree this would be tough to accomplish with your setup. But something must be done to lower them temps man! Sure your plant will grow with higher temps, but thats not the point. You should be going for some quality smoke :)

Your best bet is just to do some experimenting. Wish i could be there to help you out lol. My friend just built a grow box, he was getting temps in the 100s. After some trial and error we finally got him down to a steady 81.

Any updated pics? Im curious!

15. you growin in you closet if you are do this cut a hole in the top say 6 inch huck a fan to it and there you go it will suck the air though the door and up and out there your passive

16. [quote name='"Araltus"']Yes you want/need a vacuum for passive intake. Your exhaust fan not only pulls warm/old air out of the box, it literally pulls new/cool air in through your passive intake hole(s).

I do agree this would be tough to accomplish with your setup. But something must be done to lower them temps man! Sure your plant will grow with higher temps, but thats not the point. You should be going for some quality smoke :)

Your best bet is just to do some experimenting. Wish i could be there to help you out lol. My friend just built a grow box, he was getting temps in the 100s. After some trial and error we finally got him down to a steady 81.

Any updated pics? Im curious![/quote]

Hey so been pondering this situation the last few days, just went online and ordered one of these http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=140505904348&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=29672062091 ill take it apart and place all three fans at the bottom for intake, and move the other 2 I currently have for exhaust. Should hopefully be enough power to circulate the air now, should get it by the end of the week! Ill update in a few days with some photos, currently not much change.

17. u dont want a intake fan inless your just trying to bring in cold air and thats the only way you can do it passive way better air flow for plants

18. [quote name='"icheefaduhreefa"']

You would splice ur power cord to fan n splice a extension cord male end re wire it wire nut it then plug it in if it doesn't work switch wires around[/quote]

Uh, no. Do not hook up a PC case fan directly to a 120v extension cord lol. I'm not sure if that's what you meant, but that's some bad advise. You need a ac/dc converter and you need one that is close to your fans ratings. Google is your friend.

19. Sorry, I see someone already pointed that out.

20. [quote name='"chad0200"']u dont want a intake fan inless your just trying to bring in cold air and thats the only way you can do it passive way better air flow for plants[/quote]

Hey dude, ya I already thought about that but passive intake is good only when you have a vacuum in your grow area, and I do not because the top of my box is open....thanks for the idea though.