plants too TALL for grow tent. HELP!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Bobmarleyo21, Feb 4, 2010.

1. My plants are growing to tall for my grow tent and I don't know what to do. In the pots they are 5 feet tall and my grow tent is 6 feet tall. I have an 400 watt HPS bulb in an air cooled reflector which takes up the top foot of the tent. So I can't raise the light any higher, currently the tops of the plants are 3 inches from the light. The plants are still growing too, they are only 3-4 weeks into flowering. I have no clue what I should do, I have already tied down the plants a couple time making them a little shorter. I know I fucked up by vegging them too long. Please help me

2. Tie them down more son...with weights and plant tie.

3. they are already tied down so much any more the stems would snap and they would be wider then 4 feet(which is the width of my grow tent)

4. Um then you dont have any other options...other than loose the top of the tent so you have 8 foot ceilings to work with...ya cant crop em and the only other option is tie them down...too late for a screen...too late for apparently anything if they are too brittle to bend at all

5. the only thing I could think of would be to tie them down gradually, an inch or two at a time so they don't snap, on a diagonal using some sort of stake or wooden dowel rod... then keep bending it down more and more a little bit everyday, although it may be too late for this as well, pics of your setup would help.

6. just courious what strains are they and how long did you grow them. also what soil and lighting did you use?

7. Well they are sativas so they will definatily keep growin strong so heads up on that one...your troubles are definatily not over you picked some of the tallest lengthiest strains around lol. But dank...oh sooo dank.

8. I've been here before and you can actually grow the buds right into the lense of an air cooled hood. You need to crank up CFM thru the hood and get a fan(s) to circulate the air at the top of the canopy - bascially do what you can to keep the tops cool. Also you can snap a stem and it'll still grow. Buds can actually grow past the bottom of the hood. ;)

9. oh wow man, yeah you're doing sativas? you still got awhile to go and probably a fair amount of height to put on.

10. thanks for the helpful tips guys, I guess my sativa will still be growing a lot taller.
    I am thinking about taking off the roof of the tent or taking them out of the tent completely

11. I just installed a trellis and arranged my plants to grow under it. They were hitting the light, and now they are about 6 inches under it. I did break off a top in the process, though.

12. Buy a new tent!

13. phosphoload to stop vertical growthand snake the plants; FIM like mad.....unfortunate situation

14. #15 calyxe30, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2015
    I solved this problem with two large storage bins placed under my tent. I then cut out a x on the bottom of my tent to expose each bin. You can reseal this with duct tape if needed later and cover with the removable liner that came with the tent.
    I attached a pic of my setup.

Attached Files:

15. This a way old thread dude but I love this, nice one!

16. Thanks, I know it's a old thread but it didn't have a good solution and when You Google the problem it's the first thing that pops up.

The light is actually a 1000w light so i thing it's getting plenty of light.

17. If you need to stop vertical growth but want bud to keep forming try BUSH MASTER BY HUMBOLDT keeps plant short but bushy