Plants that can clone

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Graysuitlaxer14, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Hey guys :wave: I'm starting a home garden and actually a growing some bud too :D but at a different location. However Im looking for a good plant thats LEGAL haha :D that can easily be cloned, just like bud. I heard tomatoes work? Is this true? Any vegetables that can clone would be good. Um but just in general good plants to clone. Also can we put grow journals for our home gardens here? Thanks guys. Toke on :smoke:

2. There are tons of plants that you can clone but it's not called cloning

You are starting with what's called a cutting

first a link ~> Growing Garden and Landscape Plants from Cuttings at Home

and here's a quote

Parts of a plant severed from a parent plant and rooted to form new plants are called cuttings. In this way new plants may be formed with the same characteristics as the parent plant. Rooting cuttings at home is simple and inexpensive and requires little labor and equipment.

Types of Cuttings
    Cuttings of landscape plants are usually made from shoots or stems, but a few may be made from roots. Types of stem cuttings generally used for propagating woody plants are softwood, semi-hardwood and hardwood

3. Wow thanks alot. That helps a ton. Can you a name a few though off the top of your head? Like common garden plants?

4. off the top of my head ~> Tomatoes, Texas Lantana, Turk's Cap,

these are from online.....

Althea (Hibiscus syriacus)
    Angel Trumpet (Brugmansia)
    Blackcurrant Sage (Salvia microphylla)
    Bolivian Fuchsia (Fuchsia boliviana)
    Butterfly Bush (Buddleja davidii)
    Crepe Myrtle (Lagerstroemia indica)
    Early Forsythia (Forsythia ovata)
    Florida Azalea (Rhododendron austrinum)
    Gardenia (Gardenia jasminoides)
    Mophead Hydrangea (Hydrangea macrophylla)
    Viburnum (Viburnum obovatum)
    Weigela (Weigela coraeensis)

Like I said, there's a bunch you can start from cuttings. Just google search it, too

5. So lets say, you cut a little off the tomato plant, and want to grow it hydroponically. Do I need root solution or can I just put it in the rockwool and then into the hydroton?

6. #6 TexRx, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2012
    ^^^ I don't know hydroponics, I only know soil

In soil, use a seed starting mix and add 15% earthworm castings. Apply a rooting or cloning solution and insert into the soil. Keep it moist by misting soil 3-4 times a day with a new clean sprayer. Distilled water is best. Reduce the amount of water when you are sure there is a complete root system. Be sure it has indirect light or is under CFL's. As much as 250 watts. Re-pot plants to a bigger container when it appears they have outgrown their current pots. Plant outside when they are big enough to handle heat & direct sunlight

7. Tex, do you grow normal stuff and bud? You seem to know your stuff man haha. If so what do you grow?

8. #8 TexRx, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2012
    ^^^ I specialize in Texas Native wildflowers/shrubs/ & small trees. I also make my own compost. I am 100% Organic

I learned some about growing bud but i've never actually grown it past the seedling stage

9. If you have the experience with flowers and such, you should go for it! You would have an edge on people that dont garden and do thier first grow.

10. I would love to grow me some nice smellin flowers! Nothing better than walking up to the front door of your crib and smell some amazing flowers. Right now I'm working on strawberries and tomatoes in soil outdoor, check out my blog, comment if you like.

11. I have cuttings about 6 different species of sage and a few other perennials in the mint family currently rooting in a 60% vermiculite/40% washed sand mix. I'll water every day (occasionally with chamomile tea, to slow down fungal pathogens). I was too lazy to make a willow rooting solution, so I dipped the cut sections in 3% h. peroxide instead.

My typical pattern is root the cuttings for 6-8 weeks in sterile conditions in Spring; move to a 1 gallon with a fast draining mix and grow all summer, plant out in late fall, or give away the extras for Xmas presents.

12. #12 evilgnome, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2012
    If you want to start off easy try starting with succulents / Most are super easy to root

TexRx listed some good ones
    Also
    Hoya
    Pothoes
    Begonias
    Plumeria
    Wondering Jew{s}
    Jade
    Ivy
    Ice Plants

Some stuff is harder to root than other