Plants not doing well, looking for advice :-(

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Pinchinelle, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Hello! I'm a first time cannabis grower, even though I am used to growing lots of other plants both indoor and outdoor space.
    I started from 3 seeds of Skunk kush on January 3, in small containers with soil (potting soil + cactus soil for drainage, half of each). Watered with ph 6.5 water. LED light 350 w and a heating lamp. It went well, and I changed for bigger pots about three weeks later. However 2-3 weeks ago I noticed that the leaves of one of the three plants were much lighter green, she even had a couple leaves that had turned yellow, and many leaves were curling down or showing "claws". I put a little standard fertilizer (half the recommended amount). But nothing changed. I put them in bigger pots 5 days ago (roots looked healthy and white, except maybe some of the tips that were very light brown), watered, and put them back under the lamps. Now they look worse. Most of the leaves (except the small new ones) are light green. There are also many yellow leaves, and some are even dry. I haven't watered since changing pots, because the soil is dry in the first inch but still a little moist below. What's wrong? Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. looks like root problems and/or pH problems. No perlite in that coco...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ^^yup yup. And soon as I read "cactus soil" I got red flags of miracle grow..if I'm right, get that shit out quick fast and repot with better soil and a few heapings of perilite mixed in.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. What is "miracle grow" ? The bag of cactus soil says it's a mix of sand, soil and perlite, adapted to plants that need very good drainage.
    Should I change all the soil mix, even that which is between the roots? (It sounds quite traumatizing for the roots)
    Many thanks!

5. First thing that comes to mind when I hear cactus soil...any line of this brand contains time release nutes, which often jacks plants up. Screenshot_20190303-170935.png

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Weather or not your bag says improved drainage or not, the soil in the picture is lacking perlite.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ho I see - it's not that brand, but it must be similar composition. I will add perlite. Thanks a lot

8. Update:
    I removed the pots, all the loose soil, and also about 1/4th of the soil that was packed between the roots. Replaced all this with new soil ( seeding soil containing perlite, to which I added more perlite). I watered lightly and increased a bit the air flow in the room. It's been two days and I don't see any improvements though. Some more leaves are turning yellow :-(. Anything else I can do? Thank you

9. Two days... give it a little more time and see.

10. It is clearly getting worse, most of the leaves are yellowing now

11. Have you gave her any food. Or just soil and water?

Just saw u gave half strength fert. Do u have new pics? Of soil?

12. That's correct, I gave nutrients at half-strength a few weeks ago, as I saw that it was recommended to avoid risks of nutrient burn. However since then I have transplanted them in bigger pots and added soil, so new nutrients have bee provided. When I changed the soil a couple days ago, that should have brought new nutrients again. Could it still be deficiencies? Should I try giving nutrients to one plant (out of the three) to see what happens? Thanks a lot for your help

13. Here is a photo update, from today. It's getting worse daily. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

14. idk... they look bad.
    advice... hmm. Take cuttings from the healthiest one (#3?) and try to propagate them. You may want to consider purchasing an (~$50) cloner module, I saw they are now available at Home Depot (in USA). Just grab one from amazon and you will get nice clones.

What I'm saying is I think you lost these guys. Irreparable damage. I'm sorry.

You need to get your methods better from the get go. I am going to suggest reading Mick Foster's methods. They are the simplest, and don't need to be followed to the 't' ; ie. like its ok to use regular flower pots, but the consistency of feeding and pH/EC monitoring is a must for new growers, imo.

Have a look here:
    Mick's Coco - K.I.S.S. - Scrog Method

I have lost a lot of plants over the years, don't let it discourage you.

15. Thank you for the suggestion and the encouragements ! it's a good idea, I will try cloning the healthiest one

16. The temp is 23c at the top of the plants, 20 C on top of the soil, and 18c at a depth of 10 cm in the soil. Is that good enough or too low?

17. again, the best luck I've had with clones is with a cloner.
    You can get one for like $50.
    upload_2019-3-8_15-46-26.png
    I use clonex solution for ease of making up the solution and it works good.

Temps? that's cold yes. I have similar problems atm (not for long though) and it cuts out the magnesium, purples up stalks, slows growth, etc. Should be ~25C. Can get up to 30C for maximal photosynthesis (at ~400PPM atmospheric CO2) during flowering.

18. ha! thanks, I will increase the temp setting

thanks also for the cloner suggestion

19. What kind of water are you you using looks like it may need cal mag. Don't get too worried yet though weed is resiliant and can pretty much come back from anything. With the new soil you used if it is a seedling mix it has very little nutrients for your plant. Next time try a brand designed for growing I use fox farm happy frog or ocean forest both work well.