Plants Leaves Curling up

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Phoona, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Hi, I hope someone can check out these two photo's and give me advice on what I can do to alleviate the problem.

Disco Inferno is 1 of 3 older seedlings around 13cm in height
    I have a 300W LED which was 15 Inches above the canopy for a week and then I notice one day the leaves started to curl.
    I moved the lights to 20 Inches above the canopy and it has been 1 day since I have done that. Still no difference, but it hasn't got any worse.

I have only just watered the plants with plain water Ph 6ish the day before and they had not been watered for a whole week prior.

Now what could the problem be

Temperature
    Nutrients
    Lights too close
    Humidity
    Too dry/too Wet ?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Attached Files:

2. I'm no pot growing expert but you didn't water your plants for a whole entire week?! I let a regular garden go A DAY or two without watering, and every single plant damn near died (still was a bountiful harvest though!). The leaves turned brown, curled up, dried up. I can't imagine how a plant would fare without not having water for a whole entire week.

3. What's your temps? I had the same thing but it happened on my taller lanky plant an not my bush. I suspected heat because it was alil closer to the light but after a good heavy watering they stopped curling, I don't let that plant go more than 3 days without water now.

4. You defenatley need to provide more details like your temperature, humidity, etc.
    Do you have a CO2 or not.
    However, do not ever let the plants go unwatered for a week. My plants start to look sick after full 3 days. Make sure you use a rule of thumb and weigh the pot when it is dry and keep checking after day 2 and water when it gets to that same, un-watered weight. Water is essential. Do you feed your plants any nutrients?

5. I gotta disagree with the people who replied here, not watering for a week is definitly better than overwatering (such as watering every day). its not ideal to use a soil mix/volume that holds water for so long, but if it does, then waiting for it to dry out is the right thing to do. as long as your plants havent wilted, you havent waited for too long yet.
    you may want to decrease the amount of water you give each time you water, so that you water every 3-5 days.

I dont know whats causing the edges of those leaves to curl up like that, but Ive seen it on this forum before. I suggest you use the search, you will probably find an answer within 5 minutes.

6. Cannabis is very different from a lot of garden plants when it comes to water demand. A week isn't awful depending on the soil. Plants drooping from lack of water will look totally different than the ones you posted. Water when your pots get light, regardless if it takes one day or eight.

The leaf edges curling up similar to that taco shape is most often caused by too much nitrogen, ph imbalance, or high temps. The lighting and my bad eye site make it hard to tell, but one of the pics looked like the leaves were very dark green which can indicate too much nitrogen.

What type of soil are you using?

7. I hope your plants are in 10gal containers that could possible handle a 1wk drought. The bigger the container the less you'd have to water them. But if your in something like a 1gal, those poor roots! lol

Good Luck!

ps. Some other causes for that with a HEALTHY PLANT, would be to first check the canopy temps and low humidity levels. The plants are curling the sides to cool their self's off.

8. Thank you all for the replies so far.
    The plants did not show any water stress (lack of) because the soil I have does hold water well (17 litre pots). I didn't have any drooping of leaves at all.
    Soil is made of (Potting Mix, Mushroom Compost, Sheep Manure(degraded) and a little bit of sawdust)
    I have another plant that looks just fine on the other side of the closet, The plant with canoeing is close to a large fan circulating air in the room. Could that be a cause ?.

Sheep Poo can give off high amounts of nitrogen so it could be that, other than that I have not watered in any more nutrients yet.
    Oh it has been 3 days since I have watered.
    Temperature is at 26c
    Light 20 Inches away, I might move them further away again. Will try 30 Inches for 2 days.
    Here are two pictures of Soprano(healthier looking plant)
    and two pictures of Disco Inferno(the canoeing plant).

I have read and searched a lot of the forums and found numerous reasons for this. I was hoping for some first hand advice as well, If anyone needs more pictures/information to help diagnose I will try to provide.
    I don't add CO2
    I don't have a humidity meter yet

Attached Files:

9. Disco Inferno is still canoeing, with lights at 30 inches.

on the other hand Soprano is looking pretty good.

Could it be one plant like more light than the other or could it be a nutrient problem like I have read in some places.