Plants getting too tall. Help plz

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jimmyd, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Well as of last night i went from 7 plants to 3 plants as 4 were males. So they got the axe and its time to spend some time and attention on my girls. 2 are hindu kush clones and the 1 is green crack i grew from seed its 32 days old and 8 days into flower. The clones are tall as you will be able to see in the pics and i need to do something. I rigged up a scrog screen last night out of a shoe stand but its more for tying them down than anything. What about topping them? if i did that now i wouldnt imagine they would have much bud if i did that a week into flower would they?Anyhow my question is how to keep these things from out growing my cab now that im in flower??????

Attached Files:

2. if all your using is CFL'S then you need to drop those light down to within an inch of the plant to slow down the vertical growth.

3. How much room do you have in that space? ^^^ is right, pull those CFL's down. You can also pull those girls back under the screen and let them run but they won't have much time since you already flipped to flowering.

4. They are a little over watered cause we are just recovering from some nute burn. I also realize i need to cut the holes in the screen bigger, im gunna do that when the lights come on tonight at 7. Also how much bigger / will the plants fill out or grow taller now that ive switched to flower.

5. ya ive had the lights about an 3 inches off the plants the whole time now. The problem is the plants are not the same size. The clones are way taller so i need to get the plants at the same height so i can get the lights down on them. I think im gunna tie em down thats all i can think of

6. easy dude. looks like you have a large screen so go ahead and start bending your plants over 90 degrees so the top node is facing sideways. this is low stress training, i've done it and it really helps. you get crazy growth too man

7. I was thinking about doing that. Should i just tie it down with string. are you suppost to just keep bending it around and tying it to the screen or actually start weaving it through the screen?

8. you dont need string cuz you have the screen. and also i think that screen size is okay you dont need to make the squares larger. just instead of the your plants standing straight up through the screen, bend them over literally 90 degrees. the tops of your plants will go through the screen within days, and within a week or so you will see other bottom nodes shooting up through the screen too.

9. oh i see, i think. your saying instead of the plants coming through the screen, bend the plant 90 degrees under the screen so the plant grows through?They are pretty tall they might snap in half

10. yeah you got the idea. if you have healthy plants it should be no problem, maybe raise the screen like 2 or 3 inches for the taller ones and raise up the shorter one so half of it is comming through the screen and then bend them all 90 degrees.

you need to get some better buckets for the ladies because lighter colored buckets (like white) let more light touch the roots and you dont want that man. Put them in black buckets asap

11. sounds good im gunna get to work tonight on the screen and buckets. Also when you say raise the smaller plant up so its half through the screen and then start bending 90 degrees. you mean put it through the screen and then start weaving under and over the screen?

12. ok well i transplanted the clones into better, darker pots. Modifyed the screen and stuck the plants in there. Im hoping it all works out well they seem to be looking good so im hoping for the best. I hope this solves my height problems cause im not workin with much room. heres some pics and let me know what ya think.

Attached Files:

13. few more pics. The string is to pull the plant back so its more in the centre as opposed to leaning to the back. It just centres the plant under the light better too. Now what im wondering is if now as the plants grow i just weave the plant under and over through the screen. Again ive been flowering for 9 days now!

Attached Files:

14. perfect. just keep weaving any new nodes that may form, and this will help with the vertical growth.

Evil

15. what kinda yeild could i expect with my set up here. Ive got 15 23 watt cfl's for a total of 345 watts and 24,000 lumen. Im just wondering if it will be decent or shitty. The cfl growing is new to me. Im just trying it out because of living restrictions. so what do you all think would it be possible to get an ounce dry?

16. #17 420FLASmoka, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2010
    In my experience, it's best not to count your chickens before they hatch. Don't concentrate your thinking on how much bud you're going to reap from this harvest, and instead learn something from your hobby. I'm guessing this is your first grow, and you've done a great job on your box construction and design. Just a couple of ideas, maybe look for a T5 fixture that can replace those well mounted CFLs and then mount the CFLs all along the sides. Talk about a grow box..

To answer your question though, your plants look a lil small to expect an ounce. Looks like the 2 on each end are stretched for light from leaving the bulbs too far away from the plant. CFLs are awesome to use because they generate very little heat, meaning you can get those lil suckers anywhere on a plant. Use that to your advantage.

I'd estimate mayyybe a 21 gram dry harvest, assuming you don't have ph and fertilization problems by trying to increase that yield. That box looks like one of those rubbermaid containers, am I correct? You've got an amazing start bro, keep it up.

17. Low stress train it, or fim flam the top, or raise your lights.

18. thanks for the rsponce guys. Actually the two plants on the end are 2 of 42 clones we got for our outdoor season thins year. And they were just monster clones. Since ive had them the light has been right down on them. its the plant in the middle that has had the light not close to it. Do T5 bulbs give off much heat????? Cause 15 cfls gets stinkin hot. I have to use a 6 inch can fan to pull the air out through passive intakes just to keep the temps around 80 degrees.Are T5 bulbs expensive. They are tube flourecents right?
    As for my Box its actually and old dresser i gutted about 4 months ago. Heres a pic of the out side so you can see what im working with. This is my first grow and it can be seen in my box. ALOT of trial and error. But i have learned alot. My next grow im gunna be gutting this box and starting fresh using the knolage ive gained so far.

Attached Files:

19. You've got just the right attitude man. Dude, my first grow was so f-ed up, I stunted both plants, and out of the 2 females I harvested, 1 had stringy buds (even with my 400W HPS) and the other had buds that just smelled like plant material. You can't expect a lot from your first grow. It's the obstacles we face in our hobby that makes it fun :) If it was easy, everyone would do it. (Not to say it can't be easy, but I think we also take it to another level using indoor setups like grow boxes and closets). Just start thinking what you're gonna do next. And go ahead and start your next seeds if you haven't already.

Yea man, I'm afraid you're going to have to take care of your heat issue. You think you can find $60 to build a strong exhaust fan? That would solve your issues without even needing to mess with your lights. T5's can run upwards from $100-$400, depending of the size, number of bulbs, and quality of the fixture (I.e-you can get cheap undercounter lights that use T5 bulbs, but they're still cheap anyway you look at it, or you can get a quality fixture) Might also want to consider a UFO LED setup if you've got the money to play with.

Yes, T5's are tube flourescents, and a fixture shouldn't run as hot as your 15 CFL's are now, that's for sure. Very nice box bro, keep it up.