Plants finishing green...

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by TloGrow, Nov 27, 2011.

1. [quote name='"TloGrow"']
    That is a matter of not drying the bud long enough. (I'm 99.9% sure on this).[/quote]

I was referring to dried buds. Anyway, I guess someone needs to find something published. I don't personally have these issues, I've just experienced them when smoking over the years, and read somewhere this was the cause. Where and when I read it? Who wrote it? Don't remember. I've seen plenty of sites that show different deficiencies, but rarely toxicity or overload info. These issues are from synthetic nutrients anyway.

2. Issue: 4 plants all from the same donor plant.

With 2 weeks to go, 1 plant is showing heavy, massive yellowing but no difference in resin set, bulk, etc. The other 3 show nothing which is normal for this specific hybrid.

Soil was mixed at the same time.

Any ideas?

LD

3. Environment, hot, cold spot? Either that or somehow the soil is different maybe.

I noticed yellowing a couple weeks after I stopped feeding botanical teas my last grow. But i did veg in the same pots. My take is the botanicals only last a couple of weeks. A compost tea might have been in order, now that I look back.....MIW

4. Here's my 2. And I hate to use terms like Mag hog or Cal hog, But, I'm growing 2 chronic plants indoors right now in a mix that is virtually the same as I have grown many other plants in, but after heavy budset these plants started to yellow, then purple out as if there is some sort of deficiency, but there shouldn't be one. The good friend who gave me a handful of these seeds also said he experienced the same thing. Genetic predisposition anyone?
    Here's another example for the OP or somewhere there abouts on the 1st page of the thread: I can grow my Mystic strain out to finish every time outdoors and it finishes green, barely even sheds lower fans and it's done(till the cows come home done). I can grow a Skunk x NL that finishes at roughly the same time, in the same soil, same amendments and it will shed half it's fans and what's left will be purpling even in warm temps. Figure on that.
    One more example: I can grow a certain unnamed late sativa strain in the same soil, with the same amendments, and being it doesn't finish until Thanksgiving, the entire plant will be purple except for the main stalk. However, it will finish green indoors.
    just my humble opinion, but I believe the main 2 factors on finishing "green" or senescense, and sometimes yellowing and shedding early is #1-genetics #2 average temps. Of course, this is assuming all your light, water,nutrients, and air is in check.

5. There's no substitute for experience, eh Poppy? Thanks for sharing, bro. I would rep you if I could.

6. Poppy: Exactly!!

7. poppybgood

Most of my growing experience has been with landrace and IBL sativas. Even when growing in South Orange County (Laguna Canyon, Ortega Canyon, Holy Jim, et al.) where we would plant seeds in January, glean the males in July and harvest a few days before Christmas - 11 months and it would be specific seed groups that would show senescence and the majority (Africa, Caribbean and India) would not.

The hybrid that I grow is Thai x Afghan Indica with a heavy lean towards the Thai (which is what I wanted) it finishes with the majority of leaves still green - and dark green at that.

I've been growing this specific plant for 28 years so to see the leaves look like the photos others post was pretty interesting and especially since this only showed on 1 of 4 plants. The plants are watered 3x per week so the plants are repositioned each time, i.e. the plants are removed and watered and then returned to the room.

Weird.

I'd better dig up my original copy of Cervantes book. It's printed on a dot-matrix printer and stapled together. If nothing else I could put it up on eBay and see if I could get a stoner to drop a couple hundred bucks to own a piece of history. Kinda like Grimm's Fairy Tales.

LD

8. LMAO!!! I have recommended his "bibble" LOL in the past, to people who don't know whether they should be using a tungsten halogen, mercury vapor, or a compact flourescent to grow their 3 lb plant in their walk in closet. Hey, it's banned in Australia, what can ya say? Must be really cool.

Quote LD.The hybrid that I grow is Thai x Afghan Indica with a heavy lean towards the Thai (which is what I wanted) it finishes with the majority of leaves still green - and dark green at that.

My God man, you are worth a half million in seeds!!!. The last time I saw Thai, which was domestic grown was in the late 80's. Back then I could still "trip out" on good sativa without getting all paranoid and anxious like I do now, and by golly it was at the top of the heap as far as sativas go. Just think, folks were growin' Dank before dank was dank.

9. poppybgood

Cervantes lived in Oregon when he wrote his first book and then he stayed and opened one of the original, original grow stores over in Southeast Portland.

Pretty interesting mix - you write a book on how to grow pot and then you sell the equipment to boot!

LMAO

LD

10. I just want guys like him & "The Rev's" (*lol*) money.

One thing they gotta get credit for I guess...*lol*

Jerry.

• I met him when he was George VanPatten
    • I went to his store when he was George Cervantes
    • I laughed when he morphed into Jorge Cervantes

Could one of the moderators on this board install some crying towels for the participants?

It's only right.

LD

11. Why would he change his name???

Jerry

12. In the eighties in my state it was the dark ages as far as marijuana was concerned. Head shops were closed, my crowd was having babies and trying to be responsible and make whatever money they could. Computers were around but not too much in bum fuck MI. Where I called home. And a few malcontents, like me, were growing ganja out in the MI woods. Every year the dumb ones, again like me, had to borrow some old ass head shop book to refresh memories as to the males and females. I really don't remember the title or anything about the book, but when your up a creek, you need a paddle, and I'm willing to bet "the book" was an early edition "bible" so for that, I'm gratefull. But nowadays with everyone and they brotha growing, you really have a hard time beating forums like this one for timely and free information......MIW

13. #55 LumperDawgz2, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2012

The history is too long to type it out but if you'll look-up the text string "operation green merchant" and then consider that in Oregon there were 2 major targets - George Cervantes and Tom Alexander.

Cervantes is obvious - grow book, grow store <snerk>, contributor to High Times Magazine as well as Tom Alexander's publication.

Tom Alexander owned a grow store in Corvallis not far from Oregon State (Go Beavers!) called Full Moon Garden Center. No big deal but what was a big deal for the D.E.A. was that Tom published a magazine called Sinsemilla Tips which was a quarterly magazine.

Tom's magazine was for serious growers and HT was what it is today - child's play.

After the events of Black Thursday, Cervantes left the US and where he went isn't something I cared enough to follow but in the mid-90's he reappeared (It's a f*cking apparition I tell you! Just like Jesus Christ!) - and now he was Jorge Cervantes.

BTW - you can buy a book he publishes under the George VanPatten name. It's the same material in his legendary tome but without any mention of growing cannabis.

What a guy!

LD

14. I would imagine it filled multiple needs, but sounding exotic comes to mind. ;)

15. Heh, I've seen all of those George VanPatten books at the grow stores. Bear in mind, they have arrested grow store owners and convicted on conspiracy charges alone around here. Dipshittery indeed.

16. Oh, I am so ripping my fucking hair out...I made it half way thru, enough is enough!

17. #59 SkunkPatronus, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2012
    Mine are always green, to a greater or lesser degree. This is the latest bunch, they are 5 weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. So I'm just a few days from finishing this cycle and all of the plants caught up with the one and are covered with yellow and dead leaves which will make trimming much easier and faster.

I've been on my personal trimmer, Mrs. Dawgz, to pick up the pace and I don't mean the picante either. She's definitely slowed down in her advanced years. I get tired just watching her.

At any rate, I have a mindless theory on why the plants did the yellowing thing (starts with an 's') but it's pretty out there.

Interesting run - extremely heavy resin set and I'm tying the reason behind that to what caused the leaves to yellow.

Weird

LD