Plants finishing green...

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by TloGrow, Nov 27, 2011.

1. I think the aging process may be linked to hormonal changes as some links suggest. So given that we may be able to influence senescence, but i doubt we can arrest the process completely. And then why would you want to do this? It's a completely normal natural process, and as the posters suggested might help the final product.....MIW

2. If you have ever had a joint that won't stay lit, that is because there is too much nitrogen in the plant when finished. Although, just because a plant finishes green, doesn't mean it has too much nitrogen.

3. #24 WeeDroid, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2011
    I always thought leaves yellowed because the plant was having difficulty getting to the nitrogen in the soil and was feeding off of the nitrogen in it's leaves in order to aid new growth, or in flowering, bud growth.

This seems to be able to occur at any time during a plants grow cycle, and since some folks can finish with green leaves (like ot in his 150 gallon pot journal) this infers to me that yellowing isn't necessarily a function of plant senescence. Although I suspect it is a contributing factor.

Personally I have no issues with a few older, bottom fan leaves yellowing in the last week or two of flowering. However, given that the fan leaves produce the energy for the plant and for the buds to grow, I would rather not see any yellowing.

That's an interesting claim. What makes you say that? I always thought joints didn't stay lit as they didn't have certain chemicals added to them like tobacco does.

4. I'm talking about a joint that has to be lit every time you hit it.

5. I know. I've seen some buds so sticky they would never stay lit. ;)

Again, is that just a stoner rumor or do you have some factual evidence for that claim?

6. My joints don't stay lit because I get too stoned after one or two hits and have to put them out. They burn fine though.

7. Since I can't provide you with a direct link, consider it an unconfirmed stoner myth. Or, it could be because...

[quote name='"WeeDroid"'] I always thought joints didn't stay lit as they didn't have certain chemicals added to them like tobacco does.[/quote]

8. I think both are correct. Some strains are just MADE for the bowl/bong and just won't burn in a joint but still burn clean, no black chuncky ashes.
    I also believe that chemicals can make a strain that would otherwise burn in a joint not because if the chemicals themselves.
    My reasoning being, I have a good friend who deals with a hydro grower (one of the first growers in the area), one strain inparticular is mango and the first 2 rounds it was descent, hard to burn in a joint but all and all ok for hydro. Then he changed it up and started adding something else and the results were horrible, taste bad and burned worse if at all. So since my friend and I liked the strain he got a clone and put it in soil. Since he's had it, burning a joint is a none issue, its really amazing the difference not only is the taste cleaner but it burns all the way to the clip with nice powdery ashes.

I'm including a pic of the last joint I tried to burn of the hydro version, I took it to bitch about it and I wanted evidence to show the grower. Notice the long black hard ash that had to be broken off the joint.

BeZ...V

Attached Files:

9. It's nice to see a new poster here not asking about purple plants LOL.

10. BeZ
    You're picking up what I'm laying down. It's a toxicity issue that primarily affects those using synthetics.

11. Not true, if it wont stay lit its cause there is too much P and or K usually, harsh smoke usually means there is too much Mg in the plant matter. Too much nitrogen will cause the "clawed" look in your leaves, but is not associated with harshness or ability to stay lit.

12. What did Kyle Kushman tell the Rev to say to Jorges Cervantes? What flavour kool aid did Ed say was supposed to go into the veganics juice? You know....for that flush thing...the flavoured bud

Seriously, tell me if either of these two know much about organic growing

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoI1dwVZKy8]Jorge Cervantes with Kyle Kushman 2011 High Times Medical Cannabis Cup San Francisco, CA - YouTube[/ame]

13. Damn, I can't believe you tricked me into watching that. You owe me 6 minutes of my life back!

14. From my readings of different sites and books...the N gets sucked up by the plant later in flowering and is a normal process. I have also heard that too much N and Mg in finished bud causes a metallic harsh smoke.

Now my personal theory is that some plants no matter how much N you give them are gonna start yellowing and shedding fan leaves...I believe this is natural to some strains. I've had a grow where 95% of my fan leaves were removed due to yellowing and still had decent smoke.

Another theory of mine is that in the late stages of flowering, some strains go into overdrive to pack on bud weight...I don't know the exact requirements of N to pack on bud growth but just maybe that the N and other nutes taken from fan leaves goes into bud growth. N found in soil, especially in organics takes a while to be utilized by the plant...so when theirs traffic in getting N from the soil the plant will take from the next available direct source...fan leaves.

15. I can confirm and agree with most of this, but N is not associated with bad taste or harshness, Mg would be though.

16. That is a matter of not drying the bud long enough. (I'm 99.9% sure on this).

17. Yeah, it's the joint that stays too easily lit you want to worry about.

18. I have read, in numerous Skunk Magazine Rev articles, that too much magnesium late in flower causes harshness, not nitrogen. I think because so many people think it's nitrogen, that perhaps, this is how we got to the point where most people finish their plants yellow, though I know for a fact it is possible to finish them nice and green. That to me says that it's not a natural progression, but a choice the grower is making for the plant. In my current grow (Pinapple express, Afghan Kush, and Cheese) I plan to do something I read from kyle Kushmans website, and do a transition feeding (extending the amount of time the plant gets a larger veg dose of N into flowering).

19. pfft. I say it's chlorophyl that causes most harsh taste. A proper cure takes care of that.