Plants dying?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by sarcaster, Feb 25, 2013.

1. I've got a small closet grow going. Can't afford much else. I have....
    3 plants (bag seeds) under 2 T8 daylight CFL's (4 foot) for 18/6.
    They're planted in MG Organic potting soil.
    So, here's the deal: it's been a month...and the pictures will speak to both of the problems I'm having...
    Ive tried cutting back on watering, tomato fert 18-18-21 at about 1/4 strength (its the best I could do..we're broke), moving the plants away from the lights, and I even tried moving the most sickly one out onto my balcony for a bit. Nothings made them grow and nothings helped the yellowing leaves return to green. That being said, the leaves were all curling down yet stiff but now, after three or four tense days, they're much more lovely looking.

Please help, guys. I find this really, really relaxing and dont want my plants to die..not like this, lol.

Attached Files:

2. The first set of leaves usually die within a week or 2

3. PH of your water?

4. Well, Ive heard that the rounded leaves from sprout should wither and fall off..but the problems are in the actual foliage. The first set after the rounded leaves are yellow, brown, and kinda crunchy. Also, these leaves are kindof turning up at the edges..but its not hot. These lights run at 60 degrees MAYBE.

Edit: dont know the Ph. Ive been using a Brita filter. Abandoning that now.

5. You deff have a deficiency. Id say a Brita filter should work fine. Whats in your soil? Maybe the roots aren't getting enough *Nitrogen?

6. no they dont. the cotelydons die after 3-4 weeks, but the true leaves hold for months if everything is going right.

@OP: crappy soil is the issue, MG sux. plus its evil cuz its monsanto. check out the organics section and mix something like the soil mixes described there.

7. I am just using soil. Its Miracle Grow potting mix. There's nothing on the bottom of the cans..

8. So, can I replant or will that just kill them sooner?

9. Is there adequate drainage in your coffee can pots?

10. Id say no. There was just soil and water in but them.

11. oh right, you always need drainage holes in any container. and yes, you should repot them into good soil.

12. Repotted into 8" pots with organic bag soil and a slight mixture of perlite (I read that it was an antiquated practice but I see the value in it). So, what do I do now? How much to water, etc.

13. water when it dry out pick it up after a water the you will know when to water after a couple or you can stick your finger in the top of the soil if there is 2' of dry soil its time to water and good thing you changed soil while they are in veg :) what kind of light you have on them?
    pots are cheap you can even bye hem at the doller stor get new pots. if you are use cfls there o far or even hid hps closer man

14. 4' florals thats what i use for my veg ya get them 4-5in

15. I have them under cfl'. Two t8 daylights.

16. F32 T8 sunshine 5000 lumens is actually what they are. Scuse me, not cfl. I cant really afford to go up in price as of right now.

17. Two F32 T8 sunshines at 2600 lumens. I cant afford to spend much more money right now but, if I can swing it, Id like to get my hands on something better. Will these work for the entirety of my grow?

18. ya use a 2700k and a 6500k tube

19. Preciate ya'll. Will post a pic tomorrow. Hopefully they recover.

20. ^^This!

Seriously, you are overwatering them too! Without drainage you are leeching every nutrient from the plant. Let the soil dry out between watering! Practice lifting the pots everyday to get a feel of the water weight. Till you get used to that practice shoving your finger into the soil on the outermost edge to the second knuckle... If your finger comes up dry, then water.. If you got the slightest bit of moisture on your finger, dont water!

Replant them asap, get better pots! Coffee can are not good, infact anything metal is a bad idea. Water will break-down metal, plants absorb it, toxic amounts, and then dead plants. Once that happens, there is pretty much nothing you can do.