plants droopy after day cycle help!

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by greg1317, Dec 28, 2010.

1. #1 greg1317, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2010
    I've been having a bit of trouble with my plants. I'm growing in coco and using botanicare nutrients. I've been balancing my PH to 6.0. For some reason the plants start to droop after the day cycle. I cant figure out what is wrong. I thought it was the light but i raised it and they still start to droop after the day cycle. The weirdest part is that after the night cycle they start to perk up again. They arent unhealthy plants though. The leaves are nice and green and the stalks are thick. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? let me know. If you have any questions just ask and i'll tell you. Someone please help. i dont wanna start flower with this going on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as you can see from the pics they dont look unhealthy just droopy a bit. I'm not really sure whats wrong. someone please help.

2. What do your temps look like?

3. I had the same issue back in the days, in my case it was due to over watering, but from seeing the pics it could also be because of too little watering. Stick your finger in the coco to feel the moisture. The coco should not be totally soaked when plants are small, they don't manage to suck it up. But when they are bigger and have a massive root system they tend to suck it up quite fast.
    How often do you water them? How does the coco feel?

4. #4 Skruf, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011
    Also I would recommend you to get an reservoir with feeding pipes to each pot and a return-drainage tray underneath the pots. A timer set to water once a day when plants are small and then twice a day when they are bigger, but always rely on feeling the coco with your finger. Adapting the watering as you go along.

If you just have this current system which you maintain with manual watering I would rather recommend you to do a soil grow. Because the coco requires a more regular feeding, and you wont gain much the way it looks now. Soil can be watered approx every second day. And has a more stable level of pH/ppm.

5. Looks like they're thirsty to me. You can't over water with coco. Give them something to drink!

6. What was the end result here?

7. if water is not airated you can overwater. was it fresh water or was it sitting for awhile. there has to be h2o in the water. and it disapates in stagnant water.

8. over fert dude. nutrient lockout all day. check your EC in and your EC out, and the Ph in and out and post it. i'll check back.
    and you can over water in coco. it all depends on the size of the plant, the size of the pot, and how much water you give it. it all matters. you're over watering and over fertilizing. let them go dry, then water them with ph balanced RO water for the next 2 waters....

9. found out that the plants droop after the day cycle while vegging under HPS. I was also having a PH issue caused by a faulty PH meter. Got a new PH meter and everything has been great since.

• Like Like x 1
  10. was your ph low or high I'm was to having plants with droopy leafs and also had a ph meter shit the bed just got new triple meter thing rocks. waiting to see improvement. have your leafs recovered?

11. I'm not sure what the PH was cause like i said the PH meter was bad. But i'm guessing it was too low because i was sort of getting the claw for a bit. You can see in my grow log that everything is going fine now though. Ever since i got the PH meter its been fine. Also the leaves tend to droop after the day cycle and perk back up after the night cycle. They stopped doing that once the plants got bigger and started flower.

my grow log

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/746539-bob-marleys-lambs-bread-coco-cabinet-grow.html

12. p.s.......i veg with hps and my plants scream all the time. they do not droop becuase of the light. trust me i have used HPS for years for vegging. years. i'll post a pic later of my plants under hps's right before the lights go off. they're praying. it also has alot to do with the intensity. think of it like laying in the sun. when skin is burned, it needs to heal before it can tan again. if your plants are stressed, turn off the lights for 12-15 hours and see if that helps get them perky.

13. yep praying for mag maybe. if your leafs are down or up they are telling you something they shouldn't be reaching for the sky they should be perky

14. So they are perky when lights off, then get droopy during the night? Because I've heard of some strains that naturally do that.

15. #15 greg1317, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2011
    no need to continue talking about this. I figured out what the problem was. There was no problem. These plants just close their stamata at night making the plants look droopy.

16. lol.. I was just curious but if you don't want to answer.. It's whatever.. Do you playboy.

17. I am glad I read this post. I think you are correct, my plants look healthy as a hell all day then about an hour to 1.5 hrs they droop like they would during there night period. People always try and complicate things I think. This is just a natural daily cycle for them is all from what I have been seeing in my own grow.

18. #18 thesage3, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2011
    well if the plant is closing its stomata theres something up. mj uptakes co2 during the night time via the stomata. look at the roots.
    and yes it is natrual for the plant to close its stomata but its a response to stress.

19. Did some research on best times to foliar feed once and learned that the stamata will close at temps above 80*....Could be your temps are getting to high causing heat stress, hence the droopy leaves....

I don't really agree that droopy leaves is normal with some strains...

20. Actually it's because water and carbohydrates which are produced through photosynthesis during the day are transported through the plant's xylem and phloem back down to the root system at night. The plant's root system serves essentially as an emergency energy backup storage system for the plant. Think of the energy rich carbohydrate sources humans eat that are roots.

So, this is a natural process; however, I've noticed that after a plant gets through the transition phase of flowering, often they will stop (or seriously reduce) the drooping at night. Why this occurs, I'm not sure: perhaps because the metabolic demands of the bud sites are high enough that the plant needs to provide readily available energy at all times?

Bud