Plants die in a couple of weeks - HELP

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by AustinBill, Mar 14, 2017.

1. I am growing new plants from seeds. I get the majority of the seeds to sprout. They seem to sprout quickly (3 or 4 days), but .... the sprouts are long (about 3") and (what I think) are 'thin'. I water them and put them in the light, but .... after about 10 or 12 days, the sprouts just 'wilt' over and die. Like the stalk just gives up.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. What is your environment? Lights? soil? temps? humidity? how much you water? how far are your lights from the plant? what are you growing is it a bagseed? and are you adding additional nutes?

DWC auto flower LED

https://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?threads/1442351/

3. What are you growing in? What kind and how much light are you giving the seedlings? What kind of and how much water are you using? Are you adding anything to the water? What's the temperature? What's the humidity?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Exactly

DWC auto flower LED

https://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?threads/1442351/

5. There's not much we can tell you other than you're clearly doing something wrong without more information about the grow

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sounds like the lighting is too far away...You are using what for lights? I have 100 watt( really 23 watt) CFLs within 4 inches of the seedling and all is well so far!

2 days ago: 3/12/17

1 week old.jpg

today- 3/14/17- spurting growth began late yesterday!

3-14-17.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. It does sound like they're stretching when you say that they're long and thin. Do you have a fan in there? If you don't have a fan and they stretch they'll just flop over because the stem will be super weak, you can always replant them up to the leaves if that happens.

When it comes to watering I always water thoroughly and let it dry out, I usually just tell by the weight of the pot. I'm watering my plants daily now tho because they've been in little pots for too long.

8. Yep..Only difference here is that I use a $10 moisture meter to check moistness...

• Like Like x 2
  9. If the sprout gets too long to support itself, I usually just pile up more dirt to support it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Agree...more roots + support...Don't forget the lighting to correct distance from seedlings!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Regardless of the distance from the light, some of my seeds are just more leggy than others.
    I try to keep soil within an inch of the top till i get the first set of true leaves.

• Like Like x 2
  12. I planted the seeds in dirt and perlite. Plain dirt, no additives. I put a bit of Mykos in each hole to facilitate germination.

I water every 4th day with pH 6.8 water.

My CFL lights are about 4 1/2 feet above the plants, which are in a south facing window, so they get natural sunlight as well.

13. My sprouts are easily 3" long.

14. CFLs are WAY to high IMHO...maybe 3-5 INCHES for CFLs..test heat with the back of your hand near seedling top..if you feel it, so will the plants! Sunlight thru a window is a waste of time!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Did you not look at the 2 pics I posted to your thread? Those stems are between 3/4 and 1 inch long...

16. Yes, I saw the pics. How did you keep the sprouts from sprouting further?

17. Those are stretching bad, I'd replant them up to the leaves and lower the light down to just a few inches like buzzer said. Not enough light is definitely your problem there.

DSCN4343.JPG DSCN4360.JPG

18. Thank you. I've got a plan. Will replant later. And ... move lights closer.

19. ?? what?? ...my seedling did not stretch at all, so far w/ the CFL's close to it...