Planting seed straight into medium

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by mitchistoocool, Apr 11, 2014.

1. From this point on I've been letting my plants get to about 6" in some basic potting soil before transplanting into my final medium. Outdoors btw. I was wondering if it would be alright if I just planted a germinated seed in my final medium which would be in a 7 gal pot. Any ideas? 

2. I germinate in my final soil mix all the time, no problems as long as I let the nutrients cycle for 3 weeks before using it.

3. Nice, and yeah I don't plan to use any nutes until about after a month or so of growth. I'll try it out once this seed germinates

4. The only issue I've ever had is the stem needs some type of support for almost the whole life. If you have rockwool or a starter pellet of some kind, you'll always have stem support. Soil doesn't hold up the plants well so I've found.

5. Would a bamboo stick help at all?

6. That's what I meant, but I like to leave my plants standing alone when taking pics etc. so...

7. Ill put a small one in next to it then eventually put a bigger one

8. I have a couple seedlings that have been in promix since shortly after sprouting. Nothing but the roots supporting them, and they are just fine.

I add my nutrients about a month before germinating, and I don't feed them again until about 5-6 weeks after sprout. They love it.

10. What if I wet the medium with water w/ my nutes in it before planting the seed. Would that be okay? 

11. #11 IslandHippie, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2014

Not recommended. Seeds do not NEED nutrients, as they are built into the seed. You are more likely to cause harm than do good.

Edit: spelling

• Like Like x 1
    Just wet it with water..no nutes for first 2-3 weeks depending on what's in your soil

Nutrients yes, chemicals no.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ^^this OP

just have a base mix of compost/perlite/ewc mixed 1/1/1

15. What about epsom salts in my water? would that be beneficial at all? 

At the germination, seeds are "scouting" the soil with the taproot. Depending on how much nitrogen they find, they will grow to the potential of this available nitrogen.  Have you seen not sure's plants?  Organic nutrients are drastically different from synthetics because they are not available all at once. There is a nutrient store that is always there and plants choose whether to use or not. Not Sure relies on a month of decay, to ensure the nutrients are decayed and stored away in the soil before planting which is a time tested method. More time= more nutrients that you mixed in moved into the store

organic plants are mostly fed by the decay of organic and mineral nutrient sources in the soil. Skimping on minerals is one of the main causes leading to weak seedlings.

17. #17 corkybuchek, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2014

salts, whether natural or synthetic, are slowing down the decay cycles which make nutrients available to plants.  You want minerals in the water, such as  bentonite clay or basalt rock dust. Clay and rock dust (as well as compost/humus) have very high CEC which means they can transfer more nutrients to the plant as the roots develop. If you are using synthetic nutrients you may want to stick with salts though. I would add compost into the soil in any case. The key is a little bit of this and a bit of that. No silver bullets so to speak. 

• Like Like x 1