planting in lake grounds

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Let-it-grow, Nov 23, 2008.

1. so i was hiking the other day in a regional park and found that a good 100 ft deep into side forestation from the trail there is a lake in the middle of this huge forest park.(illegal to fish,hunt,pick flowers ect) so no one goes anywhere near the lake. i figured i could amend my own soil into the ground a good distance away from the lake and it would perhaps do the watering for me and still allow it to dry out somewhat if placed just the right distance away..any thoughts?

2. How does the vegetation surrounding the lake look like?

What is the PH value of that lake water?

3. not sure on the ph but the surrounding plants are tall and bushy and its almost inaccessable due to so much growth

4. sounds like a spill zone for the pond...very fertile. Check your weather patterns to see when the greatest chance of flooding rains would be and try to not plant before then.

Sounds like you found a great spot. The biggest risk IMO would be from park personnel. Usually they're under funded and staffed but with a dem gov. there may be more public works money.

5. yeah its a legit spot, people seeing me leave would probably be my main problem so im hoping i could pull it off when it comes to the lake watering and sustaining it for me. im thinking on digging a big hole, putting in my own medium with with good drainage properties, and coco coir, throw some compost on top in jan. then plant many small plants in may and let nature take its course, what do you think

6. take a fishing pole with u when u go to do your work. just rember lakes make people come! just cus its ilegal to fish there doesnt mean people dont! sounds like a premo spot though good luck dude and becareful!

7. I think individual holes spaced out would be more discrete than a big clump o ganja

8. Never mind the pH, that really says it.

9. yeah forsure and the really good part is its like a quarter mile from my house haha. thanks for the thoughts guys

10. Do check the PH, it will take you only seconds to do. I have come across several similar spots like yours but all with PH being 8+

Yours might be good to go, it might be not. If it's not you would be wasting your time.

11. remember to only break one law at a time..... i dont think id take the fishin pole to that place if no fishing is allowed. although its a good idea for most any other place...even if you arent walking to and from a lake.

put a couple ph strips in one pocket, a pocket guide to birds in the other, and ur binoculars around ur neck...

12. yeah i had the same idea about the binoculars around my neck, n the pamphlet in the shirt pocket. its the perfect disguise :smoking:

13. Take a fishing pole with you but don't have it ready to fish (no tackle on it).

You have the camouflage you want but cannot be prosecuted for fishing. If one wants to be technical you CAN walk around the property with a fishing pole ready to fish but not be fined for fishing as long as no one catches you in the act (fishing).

Although entering and leaving the property with a fishing pole will draw unnecessary attention since fishing there is not allowed.

Or you could re-move the "No Fishing" signs...but that would be illegal...:rolleyes:

14. yeah thatd work but i think the good ol binoculars and bird guide is the way to go..dont need to worry about attracting attention with a big pole or the laws against fishing. and i still have a good alaby :wave:

15. #15 Corto Malteze, Nov 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2008

Sounds like a nice spot. I would measure the pH as Leapfrog said. Ph meters are quite cheap (I need to get one too!) I think the binocular / bird book idea is okay but if ganja farmers, cops, or teenagers see you in the bush with brambles up to your neck, they'll know something's up, and that you ain't bird watching.

And I don't think they would come up to you and be like: "excuse me sir, what are you doing?" And you take your bird book out "I'm looking at birds" (yeah uhuh). My point is you just might attract more attention with the paraphernalia: "hey look man, that dude is pretending to be watching birds, but I know what he's doing!!!"

It's not illegal and more discrete just to simply be walking around. Nobody should be in that area or else I wouldn't grow there. It's true that lakes attract people. When scouting, (day) I am lucky enough to have a dog, so he's a perfect alibi.

I think binoculars and fishing rod attract attention. There shouldn't even be people seeing you around there! After scouting, I just go at night. It's hard enough pulling this 5 month plan off without people seeing me there before I plant the herb. I find another reassuring thing is, once you've settled on a spot, go near it (but not to it of course) every week or so, so you know if it's busy, and people living closeby (if any) get used to seeing you "walking" there or seeing your car if you have one. If this a busy place, you might want to change locations. The 1st spot you find isn't always the best! There's lots of good spots out there. Once your plants are placed, there's no turning back, so be careful when you choose. And as Oldschool wrote, better have a few well hidden individual plants than a big lump of mj sticking out like a soar thumb.

Good luck Letitgrow!

16. If you are intending to use the groundwater as your source of water, you can do nothing about the pH. Might as well try it out anyway.
    Personally I think there is too much fiddling about with pH meters, if the plants grow, then they grow.

17. ^^^^^^The best and most comprehensive advice so far!

Regarding the PH values you can get the liquid test instead of a meter, much cheaper and doesn't have to be Calibrated when the PH sensor is exhausted.

18. Thanks LF! Nice tip on the pH. I'm out of rrreeeepppp but + nice vibes across the Atlantic!

19. actually last time i grew in a spot like this someone did come up to me and say what are you doing in the bushes, idk about where you live but it shouldnt be very conspicuous here, not doing it would be worse

20. Hahaha are you serious? That's funny!

Should have told him you are burying your dead cat!...lol