Planting Germinated Seed, Tap root down or up?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by DeliciousNugz, Oct 5, 2009.

1. easy question; i have successfully vegetated one grow but when i was asked whether to have the tap root that sticks out the seed pointing up towards the surface or down towards the soil i wasn't sure. I just placed them in before.

2. They should be going up.. But if you put them down is no biggy because it will straighten up either way.

3. yea what he said ^^^^ its fine either way really just preferible to have tap root pointing down

4. The tap root (radicle) should always be pointed down. This would be the same as starting a young child who is learning to walk on his head...:rolleyes:

Peace,
    FG

5. shit my mistake sorry, i thought they grew down either way lol

6. This is kinda funny and confusing at the same time?! I don't want to create anymore confusion for "Deliciousnugz" so I'll reiterate what has already been said; Up or down doesn't make much difference, they'll find their way to the surface!

Now for the confusing part. 1 person said pointing up, then 2 people said pointing down. Now, I've read NUMEROUS stickies that state pointing UP! I've also seen time lapse footage of seeds planted taproot up and watched them turn themselves over. Is there anyone on here who is SURE what the "ideal" situation is???

7. It's the same for any plant.. Plants arent retarded ..

8. The ideal situation is tap root down. It is called tap ROOT for a reason. It is the main root for your new seedling. All other roots will stem from this root.

But, if you plant in soil it will right itself eventually.

Either way you are fine. But, idealy you want to plant it down.

Good luck.

9. Tap-root [ Botany ]
    [​IMG]
    Dictionary of botanic terminology
    index of names
    Synonym: Conical root, Carrot-like root, Central root A taproot or conical root is the main tapering often bulky root of a plant growing vertically downward from the stem. [​IMG] It forms a single, dominant, axis that penetrates the earth directly downward to a considerable depth without dividing and from which other lateral fibrous roots sprout.

Many taproots are modified to become food or water storage organs, or are very long for reaching water deep in the ground. (For example, in the carrot)

Typical taproots
    • conical root : another word for taproot.
    • fusiform root : tapers at the top and at the bottom, e.g. the taproot of a white radish.
    • napiform root : is broader than it is long, e.g. the root of a turnip.

Tap root system [ Botany ] Plants generally conform to one of two root systems, a taproot system or a fibrous root system. [​IMG]A taproot system derives directly from the first root that emerge from a seed (the radicle or primary root) that enlarges and forms a prominent central root that is called the taproot. The taproot is larger in diameter than the lateral roots. Lateral roots branch off from the taproot, and subsequent lateral roots can branch off other lateral roots. Taproots generally grow more deeply into the soil than do fibrous roots. It often become a modified storage organ for food reserves such as carbohydrate or for reaching water deep in the ground.
    A taproot system, generally found in Dicotyledons and conifers.
    Most trees begin life with a taproot, but after one to a few years change to a wide-spreading fibrous root system with mainly horizontal surface roots and only a few vertical, deep anchoring roots. A typical mature tree 30-50 m tall has a root system that extends horizontally in all directions as far as the tree is tall or more, but well over 95% of the roots are in the top 50 cm depth of soil.

10. To settle it. Plants will undoubtedly find their way to the surface. The reason behind planting root tip up is to allow the seedling a strong root at an early stage and so that it is not going straight down, this forces the stem to strengthen which is very important when you are growing in 24 hour light situations. This process after germination is not required for any type of growing but will greatly increase the chances of a "Hydro" plant. When growing hydro, plants tend to grow at such a rapid rate that the stem gets too weak to support itself and therefor needs to be supported by a stick or trellis. Some would say just bury the plant deeper after transplanting but the problem here is the chance of mold on the stem or disease or moisture from the dirt can damage the stem ultimately cause the plant to die. No one is right or wrong here (unless of course you honestly believe that the mother plant bends down and carefully places the seedling in the dirt tip down?) Just thought I would throw my two cents in here as I have tried both and in all three types of growing. (outdoor, indoor and Hydro) :hello:

11. I think it was settled months ago

12. LOL... That actually did give me a laugh. I didn't look at dates of any post till i read this..

13. I wasn't looking at the date either but by the way people keep coming up with reasons why you should only do it one way or the other tells me that it has not been settled.

14. comon what does common sense tell you lol

15. yeh, this is an old post, but i have a new situation.
    so i planted my germ'd seed in the soil with the taproot facing down and in 4 hrs it literally pushed itself out of the soil. now, i have a retarded lil sprout that im trying to nurse. the shell was hard and stuck to it, and when i got half the shell off, the little sac inside was dried up completely and stuck to the shell. it was really hard to get off of the plant. it sat above soil for 6 days before i took the shell off, and it looks very undeveloped like a little green stick with a bean on top of it. i am usinjg a 42w 6500k cfl just one bulb in a cone wrapped in foil so my heat isnt too much, warm but not hot.
    also, im under 24 hrs of light, so yeh, im guessing rapid growth might have gotten it.
    so i didnt plant it with the tap facing down, but if i did, im wondering if i would have had a white taproot pushing itself out of the soil and killing the first real growth of my seed.
    i only buried it about 1/4 inch below the surface. realistically, i put it down about the seeds depth in my soild in a little hole facing down, and then i covered it with about a 1/4 inch of soil. 4 hrs and i started having greatness, 4 days and it started hurting. so i really dont know either. i have a pic for an example so you can see what mine looked like.
    but, really...
    is there a better way to go about it? up or down?
    maybe 24 hr of light should require a deeper burial, or covering, and facing up?
    but then again, this seedling was my very first attempt.
    but it had others confused to see it too.
    maybe i just blew too many tokes at the seed when i was planting it
    :confused_2:

16. #16 Jaspurr, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016