Planted my first plant

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by xThunderboltx11, Feb 24, 2018.

1. #1 xThunderboltx11, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Day 1 - I bought a gram of weed at a dispensary near my house and I found a seed, I was pleasantly surprised since I have been buying weed there since last July and hadn't found a seed in the weed, and I had some seeds I bought from a British website confiscated by customs. I planted the seed in some soil, and after a day the seed hadn't sprouted, so I put it in a cup of water for about 18 hours and the root popped out so I put it back in the soil. After a day the seed sprouted.

[​IMG]

Day 2 - I took this picture this morning, the plant curled a bit. I think it might be because there might be too much water in the soil. I don't think it's an issue but I'll be keeping a close eye on the plant and make any adjustments I think might help. I put the plant near a window to try to evaporate some of the water.

[​IMG]

Day 3 - I'm using a bowl to grow my plant, and I was using another bowl as a cover to increase the humidity, I just turned the bowl upside down and poked some holes in it lol. I removed the cover to help the soil dry faster. I also manually removed the shell with some twigs I found in the soil. My plant straightened out a bit.

[​IMG]

Day 4 - My plant grew a bit, not much change today. I mixed a banana into the soil when I planted the seed that began to mold, so I turned the soil until the banana and mold dissipated into the soil.

[​IMG]

Day 5 - I peeled the layer between the shell and the leaves with my finger. My plant grew a bit more and the leaves are beginning to open up.

[​IMG]

Day 6 - My plant grew a bit more and the leaves began to grow. I started using the cover again to try to increase the humidity.

[​IMG]

Day 7 - I added more water and removed the cover because the plant was beginning to fold. The plant grew a bit and the leaves grew a bit too.

[​IMG]

Day 8 - I flooded the bowl and the plant stem thickened a bit and the leaves grew a bit more too.

[​IMG]

Day 9 - There might have been too much water in the soil as my plant was beginning to go limp, so I removed some of the water and cut a water bottle in half and used the bottom part for my plant to lean on and this morning I found that my plant had straightened back out.

[​IMG]

Day 10 - I removed more of the water and the plant stayed at about the same height but the leaves grew a bit. I also began putting water on the plant and not just on the soil, I'm hoping that helps the plant grow faster.

[​IMG]

Day 12 - Plant grew a bit and the leaves also free a bit. I'm still using the bottom end of a water bottle to keep the plant straight. I'm also using the the other bowl again as a cover to try to increase the humidity.

[​IMG]

Day 13 - Plant grew a bit today, and two smaller leaves began to grow between the four larger leaves. I stopped using the other bowl as a cover to let the soil dry a bit hoping that the stem hardens a bit.

[​IMG]

Day 14 - There was too much water in the soil and my plant folded over, so I added some dry soil into the bowl and rooted my plant deeper so that the part that folded was surround by soil. The leaves grew a bit and are beginning to pick back up.

[​IMG]

Day 15 - My plant seems to be hardening and the leaves are continuing to pick up. I also blended an apple and mixed it along the edges of the soil.

[​IMG]

Day 16 - The soil was beginning to look dry and so was my plant so I'll be watering it daily now. My plant grew a bit.

[​IMG]

Day 17 - I transferred my plant into oatmeal and rooted it even deeper and added two apples, two kiwis and a banana for nutrients. My plant seems to have grown more THC crystals.

[​IMG]

Day 18 - I decided to transfer my plant back into soil. I cut part of a banana in half and placed it in some soil I found outside. My plant seems to have condensed in moisture and was beginning to go limp so I placed it on a red bull can.

[​IMG]

Day 19 - My plant seems to be in critical condition. Sometime between swapping the soil, my plant over hydrated and went limp. I rooted the plant in a banana and I think that's what caused it to over hydrate although I believe the banana will do more good than harm in the long run. I'm going to let my plant sit for a few days and see how it recovers.

[​IMG]

Day 20 - My plant is still recovering but the stem seems to have re-thickened. I think it'll be a few more days until it erects itself again.

[​IMG]

Post continues here
    Day 21+

2. IMO I think your touching it to much, first you planted it in soil then took it out to put in water, then mixing moldy banana into your soil? Now separating the leaves. Its still a baby don't harass it to much =[

Some other things i want to point out, a common beginners mistake is over watering and I do not think the dome is necessary at all for a seedling, only needed for plants with foliage but no roots (clones).

Its a plant, just be patient and let it do its thing my man!
    Good luck with your first grow.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. Flooding my bowl seemed to have helped my plant thicken

4. That plant is in mud. It needs to drain. If it stays in mud it’ll be dead soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hey man, congrats on finding a seed and getting it to sprout. I'd like to see you keep it alive so just like previously stated from the picture I can see you are overwatering already. That will kill your plant soon if you keep it up.

Instead let the soil dry, at least for a few days and next time don't water it as much. Let's talk soil...

What do you have it planted in, and what is your aeration amendment? Looks to me like wood chips? You see how the water is just sitting on top? You don't want that. Instead you want it to drain through the soil.
    This can be achieved with more aeration(perlite,pumice,lava rocks, rice hulls, etc.).

When your soil is low on aeration/porosity, it becomes dense and compact. Not only does this stop water from reaching the roots, but it decreases the amount of micronutrients your plant is able to take in as well. Resulting in slower growth.

The banana was a good idea, now if you made several piles of different fruits and veggies you could turn them into compost and spread about your top layer of soil. As it breaks down, it will form what is known as humid acid. Humic acid will then begin to seep into the soil overtime and make the clay particles of your soil repel each other more with its negative charge. Increasing its porosity and helping aerate your soil in the process.
    This will aid in aspects of watering including ease of access for water to flow more freely, less evaporation, and more water retention. Thus leading to more water to the plants roots, and more micronutrient uptake.

I only mean to give you some information. What you can do with it is up to you. I don't mean that just by adding compost you will achieve the right amount of aeration but it surely will help. By the way, you don't have to mix it in the soil. As you water every few days, it'll break down your compost. Then microorganisms in your soil will increase that process, allowing the "banana" or multiple bananas to dissipate naturally.

I think you've just got to learn one of the major keys to gardening... Patience.
    Don't rush the process of life, more often then not it adds to problems instead of reducing them. Hope anything I've said helps. Best of luck with your grow.

J Evergreen

6. Thanks guys, I removed some of the water as the plant was beginning to droop. My plant straightened back out over night, I also cut a water bottle in half and was using the bottom piece as something for the plant to lean on.
    I'm using Scott's Hyponex potting soil, I didn't add anything to it other than the banana.

7. #9 JohnnyEvergreen, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Looking good Thunder. I am wondering if that's a dome I see over your seedling? If so, it may help some if you removed it entirely from the Grow. Of course you don't really have to just yet, it can go either way. It's just an opinion of mine because I usually only use domes on clones, if I take them. It is most definitely your call though. Hope I'm not intruding.

I would how ever like to advise one thing. That would be again to add some aeration to your soil. I am afraid as you move further down the path your plant may decline due to the lack of it. It is very simple and can be done several different ways. I know I listed a few ingredients you could use but I was never specific on how.

I assume you didn't use all of the soil you bought? If not, you could cut some with the aeration amendment of your choice, and then transplant into that if you see it fit to do so. I think in the long run it will make a big positive impact on your plant. Maybe some of what I said here will help. Happy growing.

J Evergreen

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. That’s good advice from @JohnnyEvergreen. It’s too wet. Way too wet. No domes. More aeration. Less water. If anything it needs a fan moving air around it so it starts to harden its stalk up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Do you have holes in the bottom bowl? If not, the soil will still be soup on the bottom and still cause issues. I commend you on taking the initiative to take a stab at growing. But you should have saved the seed for a day or two and did some research. Are you ready for the next phase of the plant?

10. And lose the dome. No need for it now

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I removed the dome, I think it's a good idea too because like someone said, the stem needs to harden. I'll be using less water too for the same reason as above, so the stem hardens. I put my plant near an open window so the soil drys a bit.

12. Drying the soil seemed to have helped the plant grow and harden

13. #15 xThunderboltx11, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Day 21 - Plant was looking critical so I transferred it back into the original soil I was using

[​IMG]

Day 22 - Plant almost dried out so I put it in a small tub of water

[​IMG]

Day 25 - So part of my plant dried out so I clipped that part and put the rest back in the soil. That part hasn't dried out yet and it's been a few days so I'm going to leave it in the soil and see if it grows.

[​IMG]

14. :blush:Ya sadly its done for man. That sucks you ordered some seeds that the donut eaters at customs snagged.. Fuckers.. They only get a small percetage of orders. Does the seedbank rhyme with smashitude? They dont ship them secure enough. Id recommend some canadian sites like peakseedsbc not bcseeds peakseedsbc dont get them confused they have cheap strains and their like 10 seeds for 40 bucks. Ya next time man just gotta be patient get yourself a good cup poke some holed in it, use soil the whole time, and only water every few days or so. You wanna water one day (remember they dont need much at all when their small dont even have to see runoff) and pick up the pot and feel the weight of it. Wait a few days like 2 check it and when it feels light like theres no water, water it then. You wanna normally water until you see water coming out of the drainage holes. Unless their small like i said. And as far as the fruit composts. You gotta let it decompose into its raw form and then add it to the soil like JohnnyEvergreen said. Let them use what nutrients are in the soil for 2-3 weeks unless the plant actually showed it needs some. They usually just end up needed a little nitrogen when their in veg. Dont do that granola stuff no more lol that cant break down and it cant grow through it let alone use any of the granolas nutrients. The only granola you should be using is the granola in your morning yogurt lol. Dont do that just use dirt. Get yourself some seeds check out that site or others (remember canada ive got every order everytime). Do a little research and post another thread in here so we can help you man. Its completely fine that you messed up your first time man its the way she goes lol. Everyone usually does that you just need to research everything for awhile. Well help you man just post another journal. And i like your pic you woke into the subject of sumeria and the annunaki like me? lol

15. That's a sad looking plant. Why on earth would you put it in a tub of water!!??? It's a plant.....it grows in soil ha ha

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. It's Full Water Culture bro. The new craze, you haven't heard of it?

You start your plant in soil, then rip it right the fuckout, then throw it in a bucket of water. Swells right up. Buds get huge and shit.

All joking aside, @xThunderboltx11 next time please don't throw it in a tub of water lol. You have learned many lessons on this grow. Your next will already start twice as good as this one. Keep up the motivation. You'll have yourself a thriving plant in no time. Good luck and many prosperous grows await you.

J Evergreen

• Like Like x 1
  17. I think he was thinking about hydroponics or something along those lines.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Grasscity Forum mobile app