Planted a seed, now what?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Major., Sep 16, 2012.

1. What's up guys?

I germinated 3 bag seeds and to my surprise two of them sprouted. I wasn't really expecting much but now I figured hell, let's try and grow one.

So I have it in a solo cup currently with minimal soil and a couple slits on the bottom of it to drain. I plan on growing it under my sink for as long as I can, then maybe moving it to my closet.

So my question is what am I currently missing/need to do? I have this light, although currently the bulb is not ideal. Can I use that light for a while assuming I go buy the best bulb for the job?
    [​IMG]

And I probably should buy some better nutrients for it? I just took soil out of a plant that I already had to start the grow. Sorry if all these questions are annoying, I just figured it would be easiest to create my own thread to get the exact answers I need.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any help in advance!

2. in a day or two i would go ahead and transplant into whatever size container you want to stay in for the entire grow... less transplants, less chance of shit going wrong..

3. that light is ok while it's a seedling after that.. 100w per plant is about the minimum you can work with in veg

4. Any suggestions on the best container to grow in? Was also wondering what the cheapest light is while still being reliable, any brands to look out for?

Thanks

5. CFL's are low heat/low cost. Would work well for a confined space like under a sink :D

CFL Guide

Helpfull Links

Micro Grows
    ^ Check that out.. See how folks get air moving in a micro grow environment. Might find something that catches ur eye ;)

Goodluck bro.

Dutchie

6. [quote name='"Major."']Any suggestions on the best container to grow in? Was also wondering what the cheapest light is while still being reliable, any brands to look out for?

Thanks[/quote]

and fabric bags are the best pots to use. search "smart pot" or "amazing pot" both real good. it lets the soil breathe and some what oxygenate. and it lets the roots self prune so ur plant can get much larger and have a lot more space for more roots. roots are everything. but of course any other pot that drains will work, preferably a dark color or light proof

7. All depends on what you want and if this is going to be a on going hobby. Lights CFLs would be the cheapest. T5s after that I think.

Pots..well any 1-5 gallon pot from Walmart will do you. I use Airpots by Superoots.

8. you want to wait a few more days before transplanting. Given how little amount of soil its in the cup, I would probably cut the cup off instead of trying to flip the seed out. looks good though nice plant!

9. Well I decided to go ahead and make the transplant today, I think it was pretty successful

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. you need more perlite in your next mix, I'm running somewhere around 30%

helps soil dry out more quickly and keeps oxygen down by the roots

11. Exactly ^^^

Also, nice job with the transplant....i was worried it wouldnt go good considering the amount of soil in the solo cup

12. I would use a cube next time seedlings are really fragile in their early days, I learned the hard way to invest into cubes when one of their stems broke and it's growing speed was almost completely stunned thus lowering the harvest by tens of grams.

13. Haven't updated in a bit so here's how she (hopefully) is currently looking

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Seems pretty slow considering you already had a seedling 10 days ago, how many lumens are you running? I think you need more lights up that bitch. Should be careful not to let the bulb burn the leafs other than that it looks great.

15. Yeah buddy! Lookin good! Get those lights closer.. Something like 2" away would be perfect!

Make sure u let the soil dry out very well before your next watering.

They the 100w equivilent spiral CFL's right?

16. that's beautiful medicine growing!