Plant to tall/best method to shorten it?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by WhiteGuy88, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Hello im actually asking this question for a friend, her plant is to tall and she wants to shorten it, its almost 5 ft tall and it still has 3 months left in veg during the summer, anybody who has delt with this? What was your best method to get it shorter?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Hello...honestly the best way to have avoided this would have been to train it early on and top it a few times but to late for that now so start bending it with a string 1/4 inch every other day bend her rite over ...

3. Take pliers to it and crush the stem where you want to fold it over. Crush a good long section as this acts as a strain relief to keep the stem from just snapping. As much as a foot of crush may be needed to get it bent enough without snapping.
    Sounds crazy but it lets fluids flow past the ruptured area and the top stays alive and growing just 90 degs off it's former direction.
    I've used this many times to keep a too tall plant under the wall top so it isn't seen from the neighbors side.
    You'll have to weight or stake and tie the branch over as it'll tend to try and straighten back up.
    BNW

• Like Like x 2
  4. Thank you very much, super crop right? This year ive done alot of super cropping but never a plant so tall with such thick branching, i told her topping a plant that tall wont do her much good, i figured super crop but was thinking maybe she could just bend it over without snapping it, but i dont think she can, thank you for the experienced info

5. I can use 50lb or larger fishing line to tie down

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. Great advice

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  7. But really i can crush up to a foot?

8. I personally wouldn't do a foot take pliers and squeeze all close together and then try to bend her and tie down so she is facing sideways

9. JusT DONT FORCE IT BC IT WILL SNAP AND THATS THE LAST THING YOU WANT

10. How long a crush zone is kinda determined by how stiff the stem your bending is. If your working low where it's real stiff it'll need more flex then a top that's still supple.

Just start with an inch or so and start pulling her over. If she resists to much crush more.
    BNW

11. CAN I SEE A PIC OF THIS MONSTER??

12. Here are some branches all super cropped so they will bend straight back up but have a curve to them and they will be more spread out[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

13. Just another hillbilly idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. nice

15. #16 jerry111165, Jul 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    A five foot plant - you want to “bend it over at a quarter inch every other day” -

So you will have bent this five foot plant over one inch at the 4 day mark -

So in 64 days from now you will have bent this plant over 16”...

In 96 days - or 3 months from now, which will be into October, you will have bent the 5’ plant over a grand total of 2’?

And in the meantime this plant is outdoors under the sun so it will have grown another 3+
    feet... lol - so essentially your albeit well meant advice will end up putting this plant backwards ...

OP - if you haven’t done so already, and I haven’t looked for a picture, but take a soft string (anything that won’t cut the plant), loop it over the top of the plant say 75% to 80% up towards the top, take that string and pull the top of the plant over in one fell swoop until it’s way way way down and tie the string off to something - a brick, a cinder block, the old Ford that’s sitting up on blocks behind the house. It’s almost impossible to hurt the darn plant - and unless this is the stiffest, healthiest plant ever you can make that 5’ (prolly 6’ By now) top almost touch the ground.

A quarter inch, an inch, 6” or a foot every other day won’t do anything for you - just bend the darn thing over all at once and tie it off.

J

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. What exactly are you try to do?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk