Plant Stretching

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by LePiff420, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Hey there, so this is my first grow and it all started on a whim. Found 8 bag seeds, threw them in a wet paper towel and they sprouted after 3 days. I put them in MG potting soil on my windowsill and only 4 survived. It's now day 8 and each plant as you can see is about 3 inches tall. I've noticed while looking at the pics on here that mine are very stretched. I'm aware that it's probably because of the light situation. Right now I have 1 CFL 2700k on all 4 of them. I know they need 6500k for veg so today I am buying a different bulb. I'm also aware that 1 bulb is barely enough for 1 plant but I really don't have any space for anything bigger. Is there any chance once I get the new bulb that they will stop stretching and start growing more leaves?

Attached Files:

• 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      293.2 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      386.9 KB
      Views:
  2. yes they will stop stretching if you supply enough light. 1 cfl isnt even enough for one plant if its less than 100w (actual, not equivilent)

3. Not much! what wattage CFLs are you using? If you only have room for one bulb then you need to GO BIG or go home!!

Also if you don't have room for more bulbs what are you gonna do as the plant grows, it's gonna need bigger pots, more room more height, etc etc.

An oscillating fan might help a little, but only a little.

basically it comes down to light, the more the better period.

If it's space and not cost try looking in the security light section at home depot or lowes and find a small mh security light to use. I have a 100w that I started with and I still use it for starting off my seedlings till it's time to put them out.

In the past I normally started my seedlings under fluorescents(sp?) with my regular garden seedlings. But last year a month into the seedling grow I was neglecting my plants and lost my two seedlings that I had planned to grow a little bigger then clone. So now I had to start over and I was behind time wise. So I decided to try the 100w mh light I had, in a month my new seedlings were 3times the size of the month old ones that I lost. That is the last time I start seedlings under those lights, now it's only the mh security light i have.

4. Right now I have a small 14w cfl. I didn't know exactly what the wattage meant when I bought it. I saw the 2700k and remembered that was an important number but I also forgot that they dont need that until flowering. My friend has a great set up at her place she said I could bring my plants there if needed.

5. you really should get like a 125w+ fluro bulb there cheap, plants will stretch to try to get closer to the light, also plants stretch alot more under blue spectra than red spectra.

6. Thanks for the help! I will post pictures in a week with a new bulb!

7. So it's been a week. I unfortunately didn't get the new bulb until yesterday, but I had the other light on 24/7. The leaves are finally starting to grow. I know they all should be repotted, but I don't have room yet. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that. I wish I could know whether they were male or female. If I knew then I could let the others grow wildly and focus on keeping one strong. I don't have a closet or any special place and I can no longer keep it on the windowsill because it looks weird having the light on 24/7. I really want to see how far I can go with this plant. I don't care too much about the yield, but it would be awesome if any of these plants ended up being female. No matter what happens in the end, this was a great experience. The cannabis plant is so fascinating and I'm glad I got to grow it from seed :D

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      351.3 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      375.2 KB
      Views:
  8. i got 5 of em like that too. i've topped 4 and waiting for the last one to produce more leaves. its the runt of the group. it's weird because i have a bunch of clones i vegged and the runt of the bunch is now bigger than the rest of em.