Plant stems turning purple

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by golf2dor, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Hello all,
    I am in the middle of an organic grow and I believe I am having some deficiency issues of some sort. The stems have slowly been purplish and it has creeped up to near the top of the plant. I know my is not genetics as I have grown this strain before without any purplish.

My best guess is that I have a phosphorous deficiency in the plants, but not in the soil, meaning it needs to be made bioavailable to the plant.

I believe a fungal dominated ACT will help to "unlock" the phosphorous in my soil, but I'm not really sure as this is an issue I have never dealt with previously. usually I cook my supersoil and don't have any nutrient issues whatsoever....

Anyways, any and all advice would be appreciated. I just flipped these girls and I'd like to get this problem solved ASAP!!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  2. Purpling can be caused by several factors; good intense light on stems or cal-mag deficiency.. phosphorus exhibits more purplish brown spots/areas on leaves inter-venally. Add a 1ml or 2 of cal mag per gallon and week 2 of flower u can give a weekly PK feed till end of week 7 (before flush). Did u reuse the soil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Cold temps can also cause the stems to purple

• Like Like x 3
  4. Also.. if the temps are low under 15c u can also get purpling due to the change in the chlorophylls.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Purple isnt always a problem

Autoflower420

• Like Like x 7
  6. This is this soil's first use, and it cooked for 6 weeks.
    The girls are in a tent with temps staying between 70-80F at all times.
    In addition to the purpling, the stems have become extremely rigid, they cannot be pinched...idk if that helps with diagnosing.

I appreciate the responses guys, looks like we're all on the same page. I've been adding cal mag for the last 2 weeks as I originally thought this was the issue.

One question for Mr MJ...the stem purpling could be caused by exposure to high intensity light? I'm using commercial grade LED's...would these cause the problem?

7. PICTURES PLEASE! Purple doesn't mean something is wrong every time. TWW

• Like Like x 4
  8. I moved from HPS and Halides to LED to.. I find purpling happens more when light is lower over the canopy and found there was a connection. As I always use cal-mag also.. and use 2 types of Pk boosts alternatively in flower with different values (13/14 and 9/18). I always get purpling regardless.. also I keep my temps relatively cool.. I'm pretty certain the purpling is not deficiency if indeed you use cal-mag and just a light intensity issue which isn't exactly an issue.. this is quite common with these plants anyway.. some strains naturally have purple in them and chances of different strains much less phenos having the same purpling or perceived deficiency issues in their stems is unlikely.

• Like Like x 1
  9. image.jpg image.jpg
    I get my night temp at 16-17, always purple stems at top, nothing too worry bout!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sorry same pic twice

11. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some photos of the "purpling". It has crept up to the stems of multiple tops and is creeping into the veins of the leaves...

Also, the stems have become very rigid, they cannot be pinched.

12. I have two rooms one with a few 1000w hps and one with a few leds and the plants under the leds almost always turn purple like the ones you have pictured. I use clones from the same mother so they are the same plant, same temp, same nuts and humidity and everything. I get what I consider good results from both room. So in my opinion the intense led will cause purpling as Mr MJ said and I've noticed leds also make the stalk fatter and more ridged

• Like Like x 1
  13. I don't care if the stems on my plant turn rainbow colored and start sing John Sousa Phillips songs.

I smoke the bud. I worry about my bud. Stems go in the trash.

14. purple petioles are caused either by
    1. cold temperatures
    2. P lockout
    3. genetics
    and i agree with grasscoty, you're growing buds, not stems, if the cannabis isn't exhibiting any other problems then there isnt one

• Like Like x 2
  15. Awesome guys, I really appreciate all the information! I'm on day 5 of flower so I don't really know about the buds yet, but I'm hoping it's just the LED's!!

If it is P lockout, would a fungal dominated ACT help? Or what would you guys recommend?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wow.. that's excessive purpling.. your night temps may be to cold and ur magnesium levels to low.. perhaps u should use the full dose of cal-mag and keep a radiating heater on at night time (preferably not a fan heater).. add some molasses to the feed also if possible.. dark purple is not a normal occurrence as far as I know.. but then it can depend on what strain you're growing as your plant looks quite healthy!?

• Like Like x 1