Plant specific topping and cloning questions.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Renaldo, Feb 11, 2010.

1. This plant is about 4 weeks old (4 weeks exactly this Saturday).

She has been stretching from day one. She's 25% taller than her closest sibling and twice as tall as her two smallest siblings. I'm thinking it's time to top her.

[​IMG]

I re-read the stickies about topping last night, but I still had a couple of questions.

If I cut her below the highest node, will she split like they do if you just cut the latest growth? That's what I'm going for mainly.

If so, can I take that top part and start a clone or would that be a waste of time?

Will it be too agressive, too much stress? I don't want to stress her out too much.

I marked these two pics with a red line to show where I was thinking about making the cut, but it's hard to see because the picture resized, but there is a red line there if you look closely.

[​IMG]

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. #2 custom280Z, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2010
    good lookin' ladie's!

it will form 2 top's at the node if you cut it there, one on each side.
    just like if you were to top the plant regular. thou, depending on the strain you can sometime's gain 4 new top's.,

i use my middle and lower limb's for cloning, saving the mother from stress and still getting a decent clone. this leave's the main hub of the mother's growth intact, just incase i decide to flower her one day.

unless she's just huge and getting to tall for your space, then what your doing is ok. you can still do it, if you want, she will live.

i'd wait until week 5 or 6 to start cloning. your almost there... you will get slightly better clone's and the clone's will stress out a little less when rooting.

my advice is to top her at the peak now, just take that little new growth that you usually pluck out, and don't pluck it all the way out, leave the bottom half of it.

it might sound wierd but if you do this, the top will still grow, and throw new top's all around it at the same time. it slows the top, rather than having to create new one's from scratch, and still gives you multiple budding or cloning site's. the lower limb's will rocket to, giving you nicer clone's to cut in about a week.:D
    cheer's