Plant Pot Size?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Ulm, Apr 19, 2017.

1. My first real grow

Purchased a Vivosun 48"x24"x60" Grow Tent
    What size plant pots should I be using

Smart pots or Plastic?

Any help suggestions or opinions are much appreciated

2. Smart pots are a very good choice if you don't plan on transplanting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I've done a lot of reading on them appears people love them or hate them I might give them a try.
    I'm starting from seed and will only be transplanting them once.

Recommendation on pot size? I was thinking 5 gallon pots

4. I think the rule is 1 gallon for every foot of plant. 5 gallon covers a 5 foot plant. Smart pots are better if you can afford them, plastic is good if you're late to transplanting because it won't stunt growth (though it will cause root bind if you don't transplant soon enough).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Now that makes sense interesting to know
    so would be safe to assume 3 gallon pot is the max I would want to go with my current grow tent

Cost isn't really a issue I wan't the best materials I can get my hands on within reason

6. Yeah considering you need room for the light. I suggest 5 gallon and flowering early since they tend to get root bound later on and transplanting in flower is tough. Topping them helps too.

7. So pretty much my options are 3 gallon pots or if I choose 5 gallon pots I would have to flower early
    am I understanding that correctly?

Yes I had planned to top them for sure

8. Pot size will depend on how large you grow your plants. I would assume in that small of a tent 5 gallon would be what I would use. I've tried finishing plants in 3 gallon. With my bud lights they dry out too fast. I've switched to finishing in 7 gallon because from my experimenting 7 gallon kicks the crap out of 5 gallon in my setup.

I'm not sure why someone said use smart pots if you don't want to transplant. All you have to do is run a garden shovel around the outside of the pot to free the plant and it will come out of the smart pot. I bought 3 gallon, 5 gallon, and 7 gallon smartpots. They're reusable. I'll typically veg in a smaller 1/2-1 gallon plastic pot until the plant starts to get root bound and need feed every day. I'll then go to the 3 gallon smart pot until right before flower. The plants start to get big in the 3 gallon then I'll go to either a 5 or 7 to finish.

Smart pots are better in every way. They actually give you a different more ideal root structure. Instead of roots reaching the side of the plastic bucket and following it down into a spiral of spaghetti with nowhere to grow they poke right through the fabric and pic up air dramatically increasing aeration of the plant. The only time I would advise against smart pots is if you're growing outdoor in high temps. They tend to dry out fast because of the way they breathe water evaporated faster from them.

9. Flower them at 2 or 3 feet depending on how much they grow in flower. Some strains barely double in size, others will triple. If you top them early and then again when they split you should be able to flip them and be alright.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I get much less stretch from my LED bloom lights. I've never had a plant double in height. Maybe double in mass but not height. I think that's more true with HPS flowering. Mine will maybe gain 50% height if I let them and don't train. I've budded at least 10 strains in my setup.

11. Wow some great information
    Glad I decided to make another account on my new journey of getting into growing

Looks like I'll be going with 5 gallon pots and will aim for the Smart Pots if I can get them in a timely fashion everything is arriving late unfortunately as it is.

Additional information im using LED only for this grow
    Specifically this - Galaxyhydro LED Grow Plant Light 300w

12. Is that the only light you have for the 2x4 area? If so you'll be too low on wattage. That's about a 125 watt light. Typical power for good flowers even with led is 30-50 watts per square foot. I run 770 actual watts in a 4x4. That's 48.125 watts per square. You'll be running 15.5 watts per square. That's about what I run in veg.

Galaxyhydro doesn't even exist anymore. They changed their name to Roleodro. They don't make that old 300 model anymore either. I've actually been looking at their new cheaper 300w panel for my wife to make a kitchen herb garden. The newer lights are white led's as well so you won't have to deal with the dreaded burple light. I grow with burple light. I'm used to it but it hurts your eyes and gives some people headaches. White is so much better to deal with on a daily basis.
    www.amazon.com/Roleadro-Upgrade-Developed-Spectrum-Generation/dp/B01HI3AFYM/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1492570653&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=roleodro+led+light
    [​IMG]

No the 300w led is not 300 watts. They like to hide the actual watts in the fine print. Most led manufacturers run their led's about 50% of max capacity. The 300w number represents how many led's are in the array not how many watts it's running at. Shitty marketing. You're not the first victim. Actual watts still matter even with led's. They're not twice as efficient as HPS. You can run half the power for the same crop. Maybe 25% less.

13. I spent quite some time shopping for a cost effective light that makes sense for a small grow and that was what I came up with for a light unfortunately not knowing that the advertise watts would likely be off

Guess I should have asked here first and made my account sooner
    The one you linked would I be able to use my 'burple' light in addition with that? (probably a dumb question but cant hurt to ask at this point)

Also with what you were saying I should be able to get through Veg state with just my 1 light or no?

14. It won't hurt to mix spectrums. You could double up on your burple light as well if you prefer that. It is kind of an older 1st gen led light. The newer roleodro might be an improvement. I do like the idea of white light over burple. All of the newest higher end COB led's since about 2015 have been white light.

If you want to just look at the light you already have as a cheap clone/veg light that is handy to have this is the actual light that you really want for that 2x4 tent. Before you get sticker shock just know that these higher tech high power cobs have been known to run up near 2grams per watt in ideal setups. They're pretty much the most efficient lighting ever seen by 50%. The older 3 and 5 watt single diode led lights never got that far. They were at best 25-30% better then HPS. These newer cobs are near double the performance per watt. Worth every dollar. Pay for themselves in one crop.
    300 Watt Vero29 V7 Linear Framework
    [​IMG]

15. In the future I will have a separate tent for clones/veg so at least it is not a wasted investment like you stated.

This tent is for a first grow I plan to either build in my large closet space or get a bigger tent for my 2nd grow so I don't want to spend to much on a light at this time especially not knowing the size at which I will be using then.

This is a experimental grow for the most part

I think I will go ahead and purchase the Roleodro 300w before Flowering Stage. in addition to the one I own believe that would make most sense well staying cost effective as I will get use out of these 300w ones in the future when I upgrade my whole set-up

• Like Like x 1
  16. You can start up vegging with the light you have and add the other when necessary.

17. I would use the shorter tent you already have in the future for veg and buy a square shaped 3x3 or 4x4 for flower. Most of the higher end blooming light setups are square and you can easily yield a pound out of a 3x3. It's hard to manage multiple blooming plants in a 2x4 IMO. It's better suited for veg.

The other thing is headroom. You can find many 3x3 and 4x4 tents that are 6' 6" or so. That's what mine is. I can't imagine blooming with less headroom then that. I'm already running out. 5' headspace is better suited for veg. You need a few inches above the light for venting and at least 18" below for higher power bloom lights. By the time you add the height of the pot 5' doesn't leave you crap for room. 6'+ is way better for bloom. The 3x3-4x4 tents are $99-150 for the bargain models.

2 plants blooming at a time in a 3x3 with about 450-500 watts of cobs and a scrog net would be the way to go. Easy 1.5 pounds if you keep them happy and healthy. Container DWC if you dare.

18. I run a 4x8 split in half. 4x4 bloom, 4x4 veg with a mix of bucket DWC and promix in smartpots. 180 watts of CLW vegmaster 110's in veg, 770 watts of platinum led in bloom. Turboklone 24 aeroponic cloner. I need to take a new pic but this is a good one just so you know I'm not spouting BS. It's still serving me well but is the envy of 2014 and is outdated now.
    [​IMG]

19. Awesome that's what I like to hear
    did a quick search and the new gen doesn't seem to be much different at all except they are now white lights
    although it is $10 cheaper with the choice I made would you suggest just buy a second of the version I have or mix it up with 1x 2nd gen?

lot of dumb questions but I don't want to do anything wrong and I want every step/purchase to make sense you know?

I went for this tent because coinicidentally that fit perfect in the current space I have to use
    With the information I have provided how many plants should I have in this tent with the current set-up

I was thinking 4 plants in 4 -5gallon pots