plant per sq. foot???

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by JETLIFE175, May 19, 2011.

1. Hey guys, quick question. This is going to be my first closet grow, never had experience indoors, always had the great outdoors and plenty of good ol cali sunshine. But what I want to ask is this...

How many plants can I expect to squeeze into a 4x4 area? The space will be 4x8 actually but I just wanted to get an idea of what ill be workin with. Ill have about 2500w of HPS and 1500 of MH with CFL side lighting. So light isn't an issue....

2. And yield is a concern.

3. yield is always a concern... that goes without saying it.... no one wants a small yield... every hear anyone say "who cares about how much i get.. i just want the dankest nug ever!!"

as far as how many plants... how do you plan to grow them? sea of green style, lst with a screen? growing each one in a different pot? every plant in a DWC? rockwool cubes in a tray? ebb and flow? a giant tub?

"gotta be specific bob..."

4. 5 gal buckets
    100 percent organic since I'm not too knowledgeable on this whole hydro and aero deal, outdoor guy here! Haha.

I'm actually open to maximizing the spaces potential but do want to keep it soil since that is the medium I'm used to.

I have been reading up on lsting and it seems like a good technique.

I'm absolutely not used to space restrictions, and am just trying to get an idea of the potential the space can have, with different techniques.

5. I'm used to getting POUNDS off of one plant as well. Say goodbye to those days.... *sigh. Haha.

6. Since your using 5 gal buckets....it would be as many buckets as you can fit in your grow space and lst and still be able to water

7. Would sog or scrog be a more "appropriate" configuration? I assume I can yield as much doing sog as just topping and lst?? I'm going to be doing black domina or strawberry diesel, both I'm very very familiar with. I'm just scared of packing it in, bushing out the plants and not having anywhere for them to go. Ugh.

I have a new respect for you indoor guys. Talk about working under pressure.

8. Finally got a better look at my space. With the advice given, or info shared rather I think I'm going with 5 gal buckets. I can squeeze about 9 to 10 comfortably. Its eight feet tall as well.

Does anyone have any strain suggestions??? Something with some vigor, isn't too finicky since its my first indoor grow, and produces a good ammount of flower.

9. white widow or ak47... easy and heavy... good for a first go

start a journal

10. 1 square foot per plant should be enough(far as i know they only need one square foot), though i'd make sure it was 10" deep just to be safe, especially fi you're gonna train em and extend your season by vegging for a long time
    look up square foot gardening, compare to corn which, last i checked is one/sqft
    should be able to get 16 into a 4x4

11. Just depends on how you grow them. You can fit 16-32 if you sog and flower clones with little to no veg time, or if you plan to veg for a month or so you can grow 4-6 in a 4x4 area. Or you could even do 1 plant and grow a huge short bush or scrog it. Many possibilities.

12. yeah, might be a good idea to do one HUGE plant and veg for like 8 months(not sur if thats a realistic number but to give an idea) while LSTing and topping
    then you get massive yeild off of only one plant and IF you get busted, the charges are MUCH smalle than having 32 little plants
    disadvantage:
    have to take GREAT care of that one plant, cus if it dies, you got no back up

13. The journal seems like a great idea. And I think ak is a good choice. Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna go ahead and look at the journals and do some research now. Thanks guys.

14. well IMO for a strain choice would have to be white berry...

it's a 75% indica strain and is great plant for doing either topping, fimming, LST, or WST...or a combination of any, if you're looking for bushy plants.
    my experience white berry is a very resilliant plant and will pretty much fight back and be better no matter what kind of abuse you give it (within reason of course)....but she's a trooper nonetheless.

just my little input....
    good luck on your closet grow

15. I've been upgraded to a whole bedroom. Space is no longer much of an issue. Deciding to scrog about 6 girls. 3 to 4 month veg. Oooo weeeee!

16. And definitely looking into white berry. What seed bank makes it?