Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Plant matter to alcohol ratio

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by vomitpunx, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Hey, I've got a shit ton of clippings and and I was thinking of attempting to make a batch of really potent cannabis infused liquor, so my question is how many times I can infuse a let's say gallon of overproof rum? Also, if I was to manage to fashion a agitator of some sort, would that speed up the process any?

2. Well if you can I think you'd want something stronger than rum. Everclear is best, but I'd want at least Wild Turkey or 151 which are both around 75%. And to make it as potent as possible you would want to use more weed and less alcohol. Basically the smallest amount of alcohol that will submerge the amount of weed you want to use. I'm not entirely sure of the agitation. Usually agitation speeds up reactions, but it also may leach undesirable material out of the weed, like chlorophyll. I'm not very well versed in alcohol/glycerin extractions so anyone feel free to correct me.

3. You need a permit to buy Everclear 190 proof in PA... I think it's the same for all other really high proof liquors. But yeah, I figured seeing as that's the law, I'd just go with an overproof rum, I figured it'd taste better. As for the agitation, you're probably right..

4. 100 proof will work. I have used 100 proof vodka with great success.

5. 100 proof will work, but go with a higher proof if you can!
    And to infuse a gallon of overproof rum you will really need a shitton, but the amount can vary depending on how much you want to take as one dose.
    If you want 1 dose to be 1 fl oz then you should go with about 2-4 grams of clippings per fl oz.
    If you want your doses to be messured in ml's, then you would need something close to 10-15g of clippings. (if your clippings are dank you might need a little less)

the question of how many times you can infuse i can't answer, it all depends on the quality of your clippings. But if you go by the amounts i mentioned above, i don't think you will be able to saturate it much more..

Aggitation does help, but not in such a way that it will be finished in a day or something, it might reduce the one month minimum waiting time to about 2-3 weeks perhaps, but no way to say for sure.

6. The clippings are all from really good hydro butterscotch, and most of it has a nice white crystal accumulation, just stuff one wouldn't want on a bud you know. Like I said, I have a lot of it, and I'm trying to actually reach a ratio so one could feel the Cannabis effects over any alcohol effects, but I've never actually done this before so I've no clue if that's even possible... Basically I want a shot or two to provide some sort of noticeable effect for a guy that drinks about seven shots to get drunk and smokes about a half gram bud of relativity high quality Cannabis to get a nice buzz.

7. It's absolutely possible. Obviously you want to use as little alcohol vs trim as possible. After you did your extraction and filtered it you want to reduce it. This can be just letting it sit out in a large dish or a hot plate would be ideal, but no flames. What happens then is a lot of water and alcohol will evaporate, but all the THC will remain. OR.... If you feel particularly daring, you can make a hot water bath with a regular cooking pot and a mason jar. Put the alcohol/trim in the mason jar and heat it up. A candy thermometer would be helpful because you want to keep the alcohol well below boiling maybe around 170F. After about 15 minutes take it out to cool and filter, then you're done. If I were you I'd make a very small test batch of each and see which you prefer.