plant looks fine...mites crawling on soil.

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by IronLungs18, Sep 10, 2012.

1. My plant is looking good..but i have noticed some mites crawling on and around the soil. They aren't white mites, they're more of a brownish/reddish color. They almost look like mini lady bugs without the dots and not that red. Has anyone encountered these critters? What can I use to get rid of them if they are harmful to my plant? Couldn't get close enough photos of the insects they are pretty small.

p.s I have sprayed the soil down with the dish soap, and water mixture already.

[​IMG]

2. Mites don't normally hang out in the soil. They particularly like the underside of the leaves, and only really come out when the lights are off, and are VERY hard to see with the naked eye. You may have root aphids unfortunately, but they are black, and you said they are more of a brown.

3. yeah i've heard that before. I guess i shouldn't really be worried, well for now. Thanks

4. they are going to eat your baby! quick!

5. how can i stop them? :eek: remedies?? :confused:

6. On other note there are soil mites that are good, and will constantly fertilize your soil, but I have no idea how to tell of they are good mites or not. Best of luck

7. Get some tangle foot, and put it on the base/stem of your plant, so if they do try and get on your plants, they will get trapped and die

8. You could try Neem Oil as well instead of dish soap. Neem Oil is a organic solution.
    Btw the plant looks good, best of luck to you