Plant Health and Potency?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ElVatoFirme, Nov 11, 2010.

1. How's it going, buds? I have a little question. Does a plants overall health effect potency? Or does it mainly effect yield? I've tried to google that but can't find anything. Maybe I'm just wording it wrong. But basically I just want to know if someone could screw up majorly, and have an unhealthy plant with a low yield, but still have some potent herb.

2. Simple answer...yes to both.

3. Good question, however I don't know that there is a clear answer. Potency seems to be the result of genetics, environmental variables, as well as general health.

Sickly plants may never reach their potential as far as maximum potency is concerned.

With that said, some speculate that certain stress increase resin (extended darkness, UV-B lighting), which appears to result in more resin/trichs - however, who really knows if that increases potency or not.

The only other thing that I know of that will affect potency would be if your plant was pollinated during flowering.

So back to your question, is it possible to have a small yield with potent buds? Sure, but likely only if the lessened yield were the result of a limited veg time (eg, 12/12 from seed on an otherwise healthy plant).

Finally, I would assume a sick plant = decreased yield, less overall maturity, less potency. By how much, I don't know that anyone truly knows that answer.

Sorry for a long winded explanation! I'm bored over here!