plant flushing

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by oldirtybastard, Sep 15, 2012.

1. I was wondering how everyone goes about this?

I am curious as to how everyone feeds their plants. Because I follow a nutrient chart but it's kind of short and it is on a weekly basis whereas my plants were getting bone dry in about 3-4 days. So I was giving them water rather than more chemicals for the other half of week. So essentially nutrients, water, nutrients, water.

So I am wondering if it'd be better to just give them nutrients twice a week next time and save all flushing for the end? Take note I wasn't actually flushing them out with lots of water but instead giving them same amount just nute free. I've always done it this way, coupled with 2 weeks of flushing at the end it ends up tasting really nice. But I'm kind of wondering if I'm affecting the yield because it could've had double the nutrients it did.

And the other question would be how does the ice water method work? Or I've heard of people talking about rinsing the plants to the roots and then hanging it. I'm kind of curious of all my options cuz I love the cleanest smoke I can get.

2. 1. There is absolutely no reason to deny your plants nutrition at the end of thier life cycle.
    Does Mother Nature starve her children?
    2. Plants take in nutrition in an elemental form - ie: they break down complex nutrition into
    very simple elements. By simply "rinsing the roots" does nothing to remove any type of
    anything from the flowers/plant tissue itself.
    3. The only thing that flushing does is to remove chemicals from the growing medium itself.
    Again, see #2; nothing can EVER be removed from the plant itself.
    4. Flushing is a Stoner Science myth - there is absolutely no science to back up this asinine
    thinking. Have you EVER heard of a farmer flushing anything - ever?

Question; scientific reasoning behind flushing - UBC Botanical Garden Forums

I would like for anyone who is an advocate to this myth to please provide scientific proof that this an accepted horticultural farming practice - and I'm not referring to cites from cannabis gardening forums.

Flushing is a MYTH.

Jerry.

3. Good morning and good luck Don Quixoti....

4. If it a complete myth then what differentiates light ash from dark ash? Smooth smoke to harsh smoke? I can say that no I have never directly compared results of flush to no flush so it can be relative to different strains.

5. Different strains burn differently. Flushing is utter bullshit. Once a plant has uptaken nutrients, elements, or compounds it is impossible to "flush" it out of the tissue. Salt build up in hydro systems is why this myth came about. Its got a life of is own plus and industry that perpetuates it and makes bank off of "cleaner" products.

Light ash, dark ash, harsh smoke, smooth smoke are all dependant on what you do during the growing and curing cycle. It can't all be pinned on "flushing".

6. Sticky Fiskars - good morning to you as well! It's really about time that this stupidity, this absolute sheer stupidity, is laid to rest.

I myself am as guilty of this as everybody else. I bet I flushed for twenty years *lol* - seriously. Thank god I came to my senses - hey, better late than never right? :)

People, please take a moment to really think about this, and the points I made above. Why is is that cannabis is THE ONLY plant farmed in the entire world that "needs" this pointless, useless step? Think about that for a moment, really. There are thousands of different crops out there, and yet cannabis has somehow become a plant that requires "flushing agents"??? Gimme a break!

Why is it, that in all of the scientific studies of botany, horticulture, plant science, organic or hydroponic gardening (with the exception of cannabis forums) is there not one single mention of flushing plants before harvest? Why is this???

Trust me, I flushed forever. I was told that my smoke would come out harsh if I didn't - so I listened, and I did it. It took me a long time to realize just how stupid this is.

Again - I'm looking for ANY actual scientific proof that this is a valid method.

J

7. True, while I have began flushing one I may not do it for the others given the provided information. Just since I started growing I've always had people tell me to flush. It's not like marijuana cultivation is common knowledge amongst average people so I've always taken any info I could get from people who grew successfully when I was inexperienced.

8. Jerry your point is very well taken.

However I always assumed flushing wasnt taking anything out of the plant.It takes salts away from the roots,and leeches the soil of nutrients.So that the plant will use up reserve/excess nutes in the plant itself to sustain the end of its life as long as possible.Hence the yellowing ect at the plants life end.Which IMO is,and should be a natural part of a dying plants life.

I wouldnt consider that plant actually starving unless it was completely yellow in reguard to this view.Beneficial processes are still coming from those dying leaves.

I just turned to organic growth becuase of all this actually.

Let me ask you this.How do you explain weed that randomly sparks/crackles while burning.Whats going on there.I've found plants I may not have flushed well,or long enough can do this.Many attribute it to fert in the plant.Is this just a synthetic fert issue?Is it fert at all?

Always interested in your opinion.

Also being fellow a mainer do you think shit started flowering late outside this year.Seems like it to me.

Good Day...

9. xDisciplex, it's nice to meet you.

"leeches the soil of nutrients.So that the plant will use up reserve/excess nutes in the plant itself to sustain the end of its life as long as possible.Hence the yellowing ect at the plants life end.Which IMO is,and should be a natural part of a dying plants life."

Why would anyone ever want to starve a plant? This definetly doesn't happen in nature, and man down not know better than nature does. The yellowing that you see at the end of your plants life cycle is a natural process called "Senescence" (Plant senescence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). This is a natural part of all plants lives - take autumn leaves changing color as a perfect example. Starving your plant will do nothing but take away from your yield, as your plant WILL have to use any "reserves" it may have stored, very effectively keeping your buds smaller as it struggles to stay alive.

I personally have never hads buds "sparkle or crackle". This does tell me that there is something wrong going on in the way that it is being fertilized or the actual fertilizers being used. It's obviously not natural and would concern me.

It is not physically possible to leech anything out of the plant once it takes it in, especially by rinsing the roots. Just goes to show you that some of those chemical ferts are pretty nasty stuff, eh?

I just turned to organic growth becuase of all this actually

Best decision you could ever make. I'm not referring to using "bottled organic nutes", I'm talking about making yourself a solid organic soil based on compost, earthworm castings, sphagnum peat and an assortment of organic soil amendments. I'm talking about an actual living soil, loaded with bacteria that break organic matter down into usable plant food -

Best of luck pal. Lemme know if you'd like any help with this.

J

10. #10 xDisciplex, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2012
    Thanks for your comments.Everytime you make so much sense.Its hard after being drilled so long on what to do to change =).I mean taking flushing out of growing weed for most is like tryn to sit in your own lap.

Although I am starting my Organic trip with organic bottled ferts "Earth Juice's line"Bubbling 48 hours to make it an aerated tea.I do plan on using your soil method as well asap.I'm just now tryn to transition from synthetic so prolly next flower period before in full swing.Where you have to bake your mix I figured start with bottled just to get going.And later on some of their additives will be nice for some bubbled tea's I think.

Since you offered some help I would ask this.

I've read your "starter mix" in your famous post about gardening w/o bottled nutes,but since you asked specifically I would like to ask you how you would exactly mix in your "personal favorite" mix in the amounts I use.My grow is small.I am legal in maine.My veg holds around 12 at all times,and of course 6 for flower room.

I'm mixing in a 45 gal rubbermaid bin.I think I can fit a 3.8 cf promix in there with amendments.

So I guess my question is what other amendments would you use,and at what ratios for 3.8cf of promix.

Thanks so much for your time.

11. gah! i posted this in a different topic but meant to post it here...

a really easy way to tell if flushing makes a difference or not:

clip a bud before flushing, dry it and smoke it...then smoke a bud after an "end of life" flush and same amount of dry...you'll notice no difference

12. X - depending on where you live, would you have access to Fedco Organic Growers Supply; ie: Rt 95, exit 138/Clinton/Waterville area?

J

13. #13 xDisciplex, Sep 16, 2012

Paris Farmer Union is close to me.They have organic compost,castings ect.

Although I used to live in Waterville.Fedco doesnt sound familiar.I live closer to Portland.If there is specific stuff there you like I dont mind making the 1 hour 15 min drive to Waterville at all.I'm sure your favorite mix has a lot of time in the making,and I trust well worth the effort.

Thanks again...

14. #14 jerry111165, Sep 16, 2012
    While Paris Farmers Union is indeed handy as hell for some items, they are definetly limited on others. It takes me an hour to get there (fedco) as well, and they are only open 2 days a week (Tuesdays and Thursdays 9 to 3 I believe) but I don't even care - it's well worth it. I feel incredibly lucky to have a place like this in Maine. This is a wonderful warehouse loaded with organic goodness. These are the same folks that are heavily involved in and run the Common Ground organic fair in Unity, ME.

Organic Growers Supply cover crops, soil amendments & gardening supplies

Here is a link to their actual catalog, and they ship. For relatively cheap money as well.

http://www.fedcoseeds.com/forms/ogs34_cat.pdf

Let me know if you're actually interested in doing this via a pm. I certainly didn't mean to hijack this thread, and apologize to the original poster.

I AM still waiting to see any scientific proof or cites that flushing is a valid method from anyone, though... Hehehe

J