plant flowering

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by 5mokestacks, Apr 21, 2011.

1. ok so my plant is flowering and i was thinking of harvesting affter 10 weeks but im confused if i count the first week i switch the lights or shoud i not count that first week and actually start counting after that first week?

2. Instead of worrying about going for exactly 10 weeks, harvest when the plants look ready :wave:

3. Yea, just watch your plants closely and you'll know when to harvest.

4. Harvesting on a schedule's good if you've got it down, but I'd definitely look into getting a microscope so you can keep an eye on the trichomes and cut em when they are ready.

5. #5 5mokestacks, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2011
    i have a 30x jewelers loupe.that i can use to see the trichomes.but i figured that by 10 weeks it would be ready to harvest.thats why i was trying to figure out if i count the week that i switched the light or start counting at the beginning of the second week.this way i know when to start the flush.if i start counting the week i first switched the light then this is week 9 of flower but if i start counting at the second week then this is week 8 of flower i figure it takes a week to actually start flowering so i dont know if i should count the first week.this is my first grow so im trying to kind of get this figured out for future refrence so i know when to start the flush.and should i flush for 1 week or 2 weeks?

6. I think the general consensus is to harvest according to when the plant is done. As for counting, you count wks the same in horticulture as you do in real life. Good luck!

7. #7 Oriental Kush, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    You want to start counting your flowering period once pre-flowers start to show. Changing the light schedule is the stimulus, but it's the plant actually flowering that's important. It takes about 1-2 weeks for the pre-flowers to show after the light's been changed.

As for the flush, there's a fair ammount of debate. Jorge Cervantes says 3-5 days in hydro. I'm currently dialing my EC down, but I shant properly lower it until 5 days before harvest.

Bear in mind that you want to flush with non-pH corrected water. It's a common mistake. During the flush the last thing you want to do is 1) add more salts 2) enable the plant to take up more salts.

Hope that's helpful!
    Orient