Plant can’t be taller than my fence

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Motis49, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Hello! So, this is my second year growing this wonderful herb. Everything is going fantastic, except I’m slightly worried about the height of one of my plants. It looks like she could become taller than my fence, and unfortunately my location hasn’t gotten with the program. A friend of mine said it’s possible to bend the plants? I can see how that could work, but I want to get a few other opinions/thoughts on doing so. I know she most likely won’t get too much taller, but just in case

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is where she is flowering if it makes any difference.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. bending the plant this early 1 time wouldn't hurt imo it's called lst. I just did it to a couple of my branches to expose more of the bud sites to direct sunlight. Just be gentle don't bend it so far it snaps. Use some nursery ribbon and loosely tie it around the top and pull it over. another option is to get some 3' tall bamboo reed fencing and just add a strip to the top of your existing fence.

3. Pliers and crush 6-12 inches of the stem and you can fold her over 90 degrees without snapping the stem.
    I use this trick for Cannabis plants all the time to keep them under the wall tops.
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sounds like ya need a taller fence ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. If the reason why is you don't know or trust your neighbors, maybe a grow in your backyard isn't a good idea unless it is legal and or you have a license to grow. If so, kind of hard to grow under your fence with some strains unless do what some others have told me and grow your weed horizontal instead of vertical. If you're like me I'd hate to be roughing up my plant like that without proper experience but i have done fine getting thick bushy plants that are at most 7 feet tall with just water, topping a few times and lollipopping the bottom during it's whole grow. I started nuting just after the stretch was done and she is looking fine as ever. Did see a little too much nitrogen deficiency at the beginning of flower (no reading at all on the test result) but 95 percent of the flower looked fine. my test kit showed no nitrogen, medium phosphorus and medium to high potassium so i let my tap water do it's thing. it would stay that way until week 4-6 of flower when the buds got juicy, I saw more and more weird signs, my guess was a phosphorus problem or lockout, checked my ph it was good so the test proved there was no more phosphorus along with the nitrogen now left which is normal because the buds use it up during flower. I did the only thing i could, quickly bought some advanced nutrients that came in the mail today, a ppm and ph meter So I wouldn't have to use my dropper ph kit anymore and could test my ppm to keep the nutes at the right level as well as salt buildup from runoff ( also helps with the flush to know what your ppm is) fed her in the evening with around a quarter dose of 1-1-1 that was 530ppm and the ph perfect made the pH 6 which was perfect! Tested the runoff, 530 coming out along with 6 ph. I figured out the problem and learned a big lesson for next year, use the right nutes for your soil mix!!! A little off topic rambling but hope its something you don't already know, next option would be bigger fence, greenhouse, or move! Lol

6. You can do like BNW explained.

It's called High Stress Training (HST)
    Google and read about it before you actually do it

But basically you just Squish the stem in the place you want to bend without breaking the skin of the stem You can tape the area until it heals. When healed, It will leave a knot that is very strong.

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks for the great advice I forgot to add I hope someone else has some feedback that will help the OP I was just giving my 2 cents on what I learned from my beginner grow this year. Next year I will have 4 girls to experiment with, one will be done with high stress training to see how it turns out. I'd rather lose 1 to a mistake but have 3 left over than lose your only plant or 1/2 of them. I have done lots of reading on it, but the type of guy I am I won't fully understand it until I do it myself, hands on and see the results. Thanks!

8. "Iearning by doing"

9. Bend it over, and make her squeal,[​IMG]seriously bend her, tie her down[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @ I love growing weed

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. That’s what I’m talking about[​IMG]

@ I love growing weed

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. [​IMG]

@ I love growing weed

• Like Like x 1
  12. Does this actually work? It doesn’t damage the branch at all? If not sounds like a great way to manipulate your plants!

13. Of course it damages the branch. The branch will heal fast. It's no big deal if the plant is healthy.

Depending on the thickness, you can squish the insides of the branch without breaking the skin with your thumb and forefinger. If you do use plyers, wrap the area first with a soft cloth and then carefully squeeze.

That area will heal and be even stronger.

I'm growing inside so I dab bee's honey on areas I damage then I wrap it in tape for stability.

Don't know about using honey outdoors.
    Maybe it attracts varmints or bugs

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. I routinely use this on tall lanky Sativa strains that love to reach for the sky.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  15. Plant “Hobbling”.
    Without the sledge

• Like Like x 1
  16. #16 Deleted member 1038212, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2018
    It's called training to grow horizontally. Start by gently bending the main stem when they're around 12" tall. Before the stems start to get woody. They're pretty flexible. I've been doing that for a very, very long time. I don't know how these asinine things like partially crimping stout stalks in order to bend a plant, get any traction. Well, actually it's pretty obvious how.
    The center of a plant's stem and branches are hollow. That's the plant's conduit used for transporting nutrients and water from the roots throughout the plant. You sever that vein, then your plant is gonna die from dehydration.

Anyone that's REALLY got any growing experience already knows that.

17. So,just find your plants lowest point where the stem is soft enough to easily bend with your fingers and bend it horizontal and tie it there till it stays(maybe 1 or two days)then it will just start growing up from there.

Your plant is only in the first week of flower so beware it may stretch again above your fence line,that is why other old school members said to just do it lower where pliers will be needed.

Either way your plant will be just fine.

18. I just took a second look, didn't realize how THIN that main stem is. Looks like an indoor grown plant. You could probably just let the thing fall horizontal by undoing it from those support dowels.

19. Top and LST. I have to keep my plants under 6 feet tall.
    Does nobody read anymore?
    Supercropping (snapping the branches) helps with height too but it's more for increasing the flow of nutrients to the flowers. Makes for bigger, more dense flowers. Increases weight of final yield.
    20180920_160713.jpg 20180920_161448.jpg
    Top and LST.

20. No super cropping with this one bro?