Plant burn in hydro?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Raoul, Dec 7, 2010.

1. I run bubble buckets and use GH Maxi nutrients.
    When mixed to full strength (2 TBL / Gal) I get a final EC of about 3.6.
    That seems awfully "hot" - but the plants do not appear to be harmed. Matter of fact the growth might be termed "aggressive".

So the question is...

Has anyone actually seen (not heard of) salts burn in Hydro.
    If so, what was the EC / PPM?
    What brand?

2. I use GH at 60% mild veg and the ppm is at 750-800. ppm Plants grow quick. That E.C is crazy.

3. ec of 3.6? 1800 ppm - 2520 ppms are crazy... I guess if the plant aren't getting harmed then keep it up.

I recommend checking the water the day after to see if the ppm's go up or down. have any idea?

4. lol. You are probably going to get some serious burn running plants with an EC that hight and have to ask that question. I get burn under 2k EC running Lucas with some strains. Even torched a couple haha. Are you running that with tap water?

5. Well the water gets checked every day .. and about 800 ml of clear water gets added every day (5 gal Bubble Bucket) and the EC /TDS drops every day until I reload the Bucket and I have NEVER seen a hint of burn.

Hence the question is the first place...

6. #6 AbeFroman, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2010
    What nutrient schedule are you running that leaves you with a EC at that level? I was asking if you are using tap water because my tap water is close to 1k EC and I have mixed with my full strength nutrients in the past and set my levels by ignoring my tap EC with no burning. So I guess I'm not saying it isnt possible. I'm just wondering how much of that is from you adding to the solution.

Sorry my previous post came across as being a little rude after I re-read it today.

7. good point abe. I forgot that the tap water could actually be high thus causing the ppms to be high. I believe his tap water is high which in turn causes this because thats the only option that makes sense.

8. Nope ..
    Granted my tap / well is very high - but it's run through a 20 ppm RO filter before I mix.

That's 2 tsp of MaxiGro / Bloom = 3.6 EC.

Interesting that the GH site shows 1.5 tsp as a max (even though the package sez 2 tsp) and they claim a TDS of 1400(ish) .. I have no idea how that works to EC 'cas I dont know if they used a .7 or a .5 meter (or .64 for that matter).

9. well.. all you have to do raoul is some math. if the ppm should be 1400 and when you put your ppm meter in, it doesn't say 1400 then its either a .5 meter or a .7 meter depending on the ppm you get.