Planning my first grow!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ApricotMilk, Jul 1, 2012.

1. I live in the UK, and have been interested in growing 1-3 plants since my Mum has come to tolerate the combination of myself and marijuana (I'm 18, and she smokes too). I haven't discussed it with her yet, but I think it is highly likely that she will let me if she has some of the finished product/money for electricity. If she doesn't want me growing then I'd respect that, and not do so.

Also I know a lot of people say not to grow in your parents house, but in the UK the laws are very lax. You can grow up to 9 plants and not even receive a fine. I live in a large town where it's a signature lifestyle to smoke weed, anyway.

Ok, brief backstory! Now to the meat of the pie.

I have no confined space, such as a closet or a grow tent to use/invest in. What would be the disadvantages of having 1-3 plants under one light in an open space in my room?

Along with that, would one light be enough? And what lighting would you recommend?

I'm aware that it will stink my room out, and I haven't got an issue with this, but would the smell travel through my neighbour's walls?
    (Even with this, I am quite lucky. My bedroom is located awkwardly in my street and is only next to one neighbour's wall, and my window faces out into an area which nobody ever walks to/has reason to walk to, as it is a deadend, although my other neighbour's front door is a bit further down the path...I should provide a photo really. But I don't think my neighbours would snitch anyway)

One last question, would sharing a bedroom with the plants be ok for the plant's health? And by that I mean I live as a typical teenager, so my room smells sweaty/there is a bin of rubbish in my room/me and my girlfriend have sex in the room/etc. The odour/chemicals given off by sweat, rubbish and...sauces...wouldn't harm the plant, right? I won't be smoking around the plant as I know that harms it.

Sorry for the long post! I really will greatly appreciate any replies! Thank you!

2. Bottom line is mate, you get better results the more attention to detail you put into your grow or even just care that you put in.
    TBH it doesn't sound like your willing to put in ANY so I am going to opt out with advice on this one, why should we care of you clearly don't??
    Maybe now is not the right time for you, I hope you come back with questions when your situations changed

Good luck.

3. Living with a plant is difficult, even if it's separated in a closet or something. During veg, you need the light on for 18-20 hours a day. Not easy to sleep with the red glow of krypton in your eyes. Then for flower, they need 12 hours of continuous, uninterrupted, complete darkness. "Living with the plant" may work, may not. Probably will end up with a hermie at the minimum.
    Growing in a closet or small room dedicated to growing is easier. Or just foot the $100 and buy a small grow tent.

4. Actually the opposite, I have a lot of care and passion towards this future project. Hence, why I signed up to ask opinions. I do have a lot of attention to detail, but obviously I don't have all the resources avaliable to me to fully maximise what I'd like in an ideal world. I'd love to know what you base your opinion on. I don't mean to sound bitey in this reply...but I feel insulted that you think I 'clearly don't care'.

I stupidly did not take this into consideration, so thanks! I will probably wait until I have the money for a grow tent.

With a $100 grow tent, how many plants could fit in? I've seen $100 tents that are between 50cmx50xcmx100cm and 65cmx65cmx200cm but I thought they could only hold one plant, unless it isn't a big deal if 3 plants get squashed together during their growing? Also, do you have any suggested tent? Thanks!

5. [quote name='"Scottish"']Bottom line is mate, you get better results the more attention to detail you put into your grow or even just care that you put in.
    TBH it doesn't sound like your willing to put in ANY so I am going to opt out with advice on this one, why should we care of you clearly don't??
    Maybe now is not the right time for you, I hope you come back with questions when your situations changed

Good luck.[/quote]

Where did you come up with that?

Seems like he cares or wouldnt be asking questions.. Lol

Look at some of the stickies regarding planning or check out some of the grow journals.. Definitely the route i am taking to plan mine... Good luck!!

6. I'm in the States, but I just bought a Secret Jardin and it's pretty good. I bought the Darkroom 150. I hang the light from the ceiling and poked 2 small holes in the roof, because I'm paranoid about fire and don't want to trust the tubing.

In the 65x65 tent you could get 3-4 medium sized plants under a 250w or 400w HPS. You would have to put more thought into the ventilation and cooling. What I did is buy the 150x150 and I put 3 plants under a 600w. I have plenty of extra room for a big floor pedestal fan and I can put a can fan 33 in the corner. Once again, I don't trust the tent structure, so I like to have the heavy stuff on the floor, so I spent a little more for a bigger tent.
    The floor fan cools my 600w and provides plenty of air movement. The can 33 is ducted out of the tent, and therefore provides air scrubbing and acts as an exhaust as well. I just open the main door zipper about 1/3 and it provides negative air pressure inside the tent and keeps temps in the perfect range.
    Think about buying a little bigger of a tent to make it easier and cheaper for ventilation/security in the long run, IMO. My temps are in the low 80's with a floor fan blowing on the 600w HPS light hood. Never had PM or mites. No smell and nothing is supported by the tent frame. No real ducting or booster fans to mess with. Just simple shit that works.

One more suggestion. . . grow organic.