planets part of an atom?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by foreverforum8, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Just thought I'd mention, I just watched a south park with this idea

2. [quote name='"foreverforum8"']Just thought I'd mention, I just watched a south park with this idea[/quote]

The God's have spoken.

/thread

3. Meh, I'll agree this should've been posted in S&P, but still give the OP a break. If you're looking at it in comparison to the Bohr model of the atom, which is what almost anyone that hasn't had a college chemistry course would think of the atom as, and the assumption that electrons are an actual 'solid' particle instead of more of a wave, which also would be assumed before a college chemistry course, it's fairly easy to see the similarities the OP referred to and to understand how he came about the idea in the first place. Is the hypothesis flawed in many ways? Yeah, but still should he get 3 pages of getting straight bashed for asking the questions "Why" and "What if"? I can understand explaining the flaws, but at least encourage the mindset. For all we know the OP could one day be a real scientist and come up with some crazy ass idea that saves human life or the planet.

4. OK - first off, bullshit. We know a whole fucking lot. I hate the whole "we really don't know anything" statement. Humans are an impressive bunch when it comes to how much they have figured out about the world around them and used that information to manipulate it. Then we even have manged to create external memories (books, computers, etc) that provide us with the brain capacity to learn more! We are fucking intelligent beasts (and yes, I know that is oxymoronic with my utter opinion that we are fucking stupid beasts but that is more about information use and the fact that we could be doing so much better). Humans know a lot, there is just a lot to know. Wisdom comes from the acknowledgement that your knowledge is not complete. \t\t\t \t\tNot that we "don't know jack shit".

@OP

Everything you're saying is possible, but really think about it. Do you really think given the current knowledge that we possess, that it's logical?

5. #45 riejgndtueodtrd, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2011
    The macrophysical world is governed by quantum interactions.

Intelligence is relative. Yes, we're smart as shit compared to insects or fish, but when you look at everything there is to know about the entire universe, we still don't know very much. Saying human beings are "stupid" or "smart" is like saying something is moving "fast" without giving context. "Fast" could mean anything from like 1 m/s to 299,792,458 m/s.

6. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zURnjYpw9mw]HAPPY 420 DAY from Animal House - YouTube[/ame]

:rolleyes:

7. The misconception that electrons have a defined orbit is probably the basis for this 'theory' popping up every so often. It's similar to the notion that the universe must be a brain, because a 'picture of the universe' kinda looked like another picture of neurons.

This of course is only one major flaw in the concept. Consider also the fact that electrons are all the same, and do not feature lakes, skyscrapers and clouds.

8. What if the whole universe is an atom of another universe? And in our universe each atom is another universe, but so small we will never know?

9. There are to many differences between orbit of objects around the multiple galaxies in our universe and what we know about subatomic particles for it to possibly be true. I can understand where the idea comes from, but as I said before electrons don't have a defined orbit, nor even really mass. Electrons behave like a wave. The Bohr model of the atom you're bringing back from HS chem is incorrect. All in all, keep questioning your reality (as it's good for your mind), but your hypothesis is definitely faulty.

10. what if everything and nothing where one and the same

11. I quoted the above because every piece of matter that exists is part of one single unit in constant motion. Allow me to explain:

You and your computer as you read these lines are one single unit because the atoms right at the very edge of your eyeballs are continually making and breaking bonds with the atoms that make the space/air between your eyeball and the atoms on the very edge of your screen. The oxygen, nitrogen, and various other gas atoms that constitute the flowing air around you are constantly bonding with the carbon and other atoms on the absolute edge of your eyeball.

Expanding this, the same applies to your fingertips and your keyboard....your arm and the wall....ad infinitum for all existant matter in our universe.

12. [quote name='"Jaames"']What if the whole universe is an atom of another universe? And in our universe each atom is another universe, but so small we will never know?[/quote]

Wat i was thinkin

13. [quote name='"ddog7x"']

An electron is basically a tiny little piece of electricity.

Is a planet a tiny little piece of electricity? Clearly not, otherwise everything on Earth would be electrocuted.

Also using "they both spin around the big inside thing" as a supporting argument is just dumb. You could say the same thing about a model solar system, but it's pretty obvious that a model solar system is not an atom.[/quote]

wait but if the earth did not exist how would we have electricity?